1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

toads in my bin

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by ellwilll, Jun 28, 2012.

1. ellwilll

ellwilll Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    there is a gradually increasing population of toads in my wooden 'bin'... does this signify that the heap is too wet?

• Like Like x 1
    • KingEdward

KingEdward Gardener

Ratings:
      +67
      I wouldn't think so - they generally hide under logs, stones, flowerpots etc. which are damp but not exactly wet. A heap on the dry side would probably suit them better, and also one that's not too hot. Do be careful obviously when using the compost.

I was very pleased last Tuesday to discover a grass snake occupying one of my compost heaps. She was still there this Monday (and might still be), so hopefully she'll be laying eggs there to hatch later in the summer. I'm in no particular hurry for the compost, so it'll have to stay undisturbed probably until next spring in case any young snakes do overwinter in the heap.

• Like Like x 2
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        And to think I was happy to find a good range of worms, insects and other assorted creepy crawlies in mine. I'd love to find a family of snakes or toads in there.

• ellwilll

ellwilll Gardener

Ratings:
        +11
        yeah i've never got my compost to get any heat going to be honest. nothings worked and it amazes me that its even possible

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
        Ratings:
        +28,532
        Toads can tolerate much drier conditions than Frogs so they are not a moisture indicator.

• Cacadores

Cacadores ember

Ratings:
        +250
        I touched my open heap today on the top. It's as warm as a hot water bottle. I don't know what the crucial thing is, but when I started my overgrown garden I had to cut a load of high woody-stemmed weeds which I left in a pile while I wondered what to do with them. Then every time I finished laying down the fresh grass cuttings, I put down down a thin layer of these dry stems. Obviously this allows air in and I guess hay or seperately dried grass would do as well. I put in pee and food waste but the one thing that really got it piping hot was when I started covering the top with a piece of transparent perspex.

• Like Like x 3
        • Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
          Ratings:
          +3,225
          Interesting idea but wouldn't the perspex make the bin so hot it would catch fire?

I hope I have no toads of frogs in my compost bin. I have a phobia of the things :runforhills:

• The Coalthief

The Coalthief Gardener

Gardener
          Ratings:
          +22
          Forever finding toads,grass snakes and slow worms in compost bins.
          Mind you,careless customers also leave cutlery,secataurs,trowels,jewellery and even a mobile phone.
          Guess they may decompose eventually .

• Like Like x 1
          • Cacadores

Cacadores ember

Ratings:
            +250
            Should be OK - I used corrugated plastic because it's cheap but it doesn't concentrate the light. And it's never totally dry in there, of course.

• Like Like x 1
            • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
              +19,596
              When I was a kid and used to spend a lot of time at farms (we kept hosses), it was accepted knowledge in those days that a hay stack fire was most likely to happen if they hay had got wet and then allowed to dry. The reason being that if it got wet, then it would start to rot, and something 20ft cubed could generate an immense amount of heat.

More recently science has had a look at such facts. It seems that the bacteria responsible for rapid decomposition of composting materials are pretty extreme in their resistance to heat, and can survive at up to 90 degrees centrigade, and will generate body heat in the right conditions upto around 80 degrees. Pretty hot, enough to make a big pile of horse manure generate very visible amounts of steam, but cooler than is required to make most materials spontaneously combust.