1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Transplanting wisteria

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by NessaJ70, Apr 7, 2018.

1. NessaJ70

NessaJ70 Gardener

Ratings:
    +46
    We have the most beautiful wisteria but the problem is that the pergola it grows on needs to be rebuilt as the retaining wall that supports it is collapsing. Is it difficult to transplant a wisteria? I've read that now is roughly the right time to transplant a wisteria but the builders aren't able to start until July. If we put the root ball of the wisteria in a large pot is it likely to survive until late summer? Perhaps taking cuttings is the way to go but would be good to think about transplanting as well. Thanks

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,046
    How big is it and how long has it been there?;)
    Dont think cuttings are a viable option.

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    I completely rebuilt a pergola.... This one.

P1060504.JPG

I supported the wisteria on a tall wooden frame I built, I was able to turn it away from the space required. They're quite "bendy."

4. NessaJ70

NessaJ70 Gardener

Ratings:
    +46
    Thanks both and lovely photo.
    I reckon the wisteria must be at least 10 years old, if not older, as the main trunk is around 8 inches. The issue we have is that the wisteria and another couple of large bushes have been planted really close to a retaining wall in a border above the pergola which is down the next level of the garden. The roots have cracked the wall right through so it has to be rebuilt and we have to move the wisteria and bushes. Whoever built it didn't think through the problem of having large roots right next to a wall so we're having to rectify the problem. I'm just sad to lose the wisteria as it's such a lovely one but that's better than a wall which you can see through!

5. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,046
    Dont think its moveable myself.
    If you cant do as @Doghouse Riley riley suggests I think you need to dig it out and maybe plant a new one once the building work is completed.

Is it not possible to do a hard prune and make allowances for the roots in the new structure.

6. NessaJ70

NessaJ70 Gardener

Ratings:
    +46
    Thanks Pete. We will certainly allow for the roots when the new wall is built, and plant the wisteria a good distance away. I need to find out the name of it so I can try and get a replacement. It's not one I've seen before - it has deep purple flowers fading to a pale lilac, really lovely.

7. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    This photo is of my husband's aunts' house near Dublin. it is post having to completely renew the huge balcony as the original balcony was demolished by...yup Wisteria . It looked amazing when in flower but caused £1000s of pounds worth of damage left unchecked.
    2014-09-12_bus_3311721_I1.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,046
      There are loads of varieties
      I grew one called "purple patches" for years on a dodgy pergola, the flowers were so long you couldn't walk under it when flowering, it had bi coloured flowers, in a similar way to some lupins that you see.

Think it was W. floribunda type.:scratch:

• Like Like x 1
      • Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
        Ratings:
        +4,411
        That's the problem with wisteria it's a "rampant thug." At the height of summer, side shoots can put on six inches overnight.

• Funny Funny x 1
        • NessaJ70

NessaJ70 Gardener

Ratings:
          +46
          IMG_2594.PNG IMG_2593.PNG Thanks for the lead Pete, these two look pretty similar. I now have to track them down!

• Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
          Ratings:
          +4,411
          We've five wisterias, including this pink one, one branch of which comes out of garden and around the side of the house. We'd had it eight years before it decided to produce any blooms, despite it being pruned correctly. Can't remember the name of the variety.

P1050917.JPG

• Like Like x 1