1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Trouble breaking up clay soil

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Cameronw89, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Cameronw89

Cameronw89 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

First time post :) I have started a project in my back garden. I am creating a path & patio area with decorative stones. I have removed the turf, however, the soil is clay based and is in massive clumps which is really difficult to break up. Any ideas as to how I can break this up before laying my anti-weed membrane?
    Thanks

Cameron :)

2. Everhopeful

Everhopeful Gardener

Ratings:
    +433
    If you cannot get a fork through it then time to get out the pickaxe, or dynamite ..... :snorky:
    If you wet the soil first it should be easier.

3. Tracy_x

Tracy_x Gardener

Ratings:
    +405
  4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    If this is ground prep for a patio and a path, is it really necessary to break up the clay? Doing so will just loosen the surface, such that when it settles again, it will be all lumpy and uneven.

But if you have to break it up, I find that if you start it with a pick, then a good spade will work once you've made a starting hole.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,165
      I agree with clueless, why do you need to break up the soil if there is going to be a patio/path laid over it?

• Agree Agree x 1