Tulips - what's going on?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by clanless, May 5, 2017.

1. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,625
    Chatting in work today - discussing if/when to take up tulip bulbs. I mentioned that a friend had originally planted red coloured bulbs - which after a number of years in the ground - now come up white.

It was suggested that this was because the bulbs were a hybrid and had reverted back to the main stock colour.

I thought this applied to shrubs like roses - grafted onto a root stock - does this then apply to bulbs - or is someone pulling my leg?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,303
    I think your friend is probably right.
    A lot of the more highly bred Tulips do seem to settle down to a more basic colour.
    I'm not well up on what is happening but I think reversion might be the right word for it.

It is totally different to what happens with grafted plants though.

Personally I'd not dig them up and just let them naturalise, but dont expect exactly the same flowers in the next few years if they were not species tulips.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
      Ratings:
      +7,625
      Thanks pete.

I'll google 'species tulips'.

I must admit, I'd be a little miffed if I's shelled out a few quid extra for an unusual looking tulip, to find that I am only 'guaranteed' that flower the first year. Good job I'm a cheapskate :thumbsup: - and can't bring myself to shell out for the more expensive tulips - as long as they are colourful, I'm happy.

• Like Like x 1