1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

vanishing blueberries

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by jekyll, Jun 3, 2011.

1. jekyll

jekyll Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

We have two blueberry bushes in containers and they bear fruit. As a matter of fact, one of them is packed. However, over the past two years we have not managed to eat even one berry! They disappear with astonishing regularity - always the ripest ones and always neatly picked from the stem. No tracks, no traces, no damage. We covered the bushes in netting, thinking it was birds. But that was obviously wrong, as the berries still kept doing a perfect disappearing act.

Does anyone have an idea who or what the connoisseur could be and how we could secure at least a moderate harvest for ourselves? Please don't tell me its the neighbours :scratch:.

Any advice appreciated.

2. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Could be a mouse, not sure how you would stop him though, they are good climbers and can get in to most things...:scratch:

3. Blueroses

Blueroses Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have the same problem. I think its birds as they can peck through the netting?

4. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    We had a similar problem but solved it by making a small fruit cage that supports the netting well away from the leaves and fruit.

5. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    Blackbirds - I watch my berries disappear every year.
    I've moved the bush to the bottom of the patio to make it easier for them now - and we can sit in the conservatory and enjoy the spectacle.