1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Viburnum Beetle

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by shiney, Apr 3, 2011.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,505
    Yesterday was the first time in very many years that I have had to go out and buy chemicals for the garden. We have a serious infestion of viburnum beetle and three viburnums are very badly affected. According to the RHS viburnum beetle has become the number one pest :mad:.

These are variegated viburnums and are about 7ft tall and 6ft diameter and we have the choice of spraying or removing them. It would be too much work to remove them and I won't let the little bugs defeat me. It's just a week or two too early to spray so I may do it next weekend if the weather is right. Then give it a few weeks before I remove the the brown and eaten leaves and give it another spray. I hope that will eventually get rid of them. :dbgrtmb:

Fortunately these viburnums are far enough away from our veggie plot for no chemicals to be able to drift there. Our garden has been 'organic' for over 30 years.

2. Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
    Ratings:
    +502
    Yes, i know of a lot of peole who are being bothered by these pests, i can see a small amount of damage on mine but nothing too severe.

In my garden it's common caterpillars that do all the damage, they much through all the heucheras aswell as small trees and shrubs :mad:

3. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,505
    It started a couple of years ago but wasn't too bad but has gradually got worse. You had better keep a close eye on yours just in case.

4. simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,318
    Must go and look at mine Shiney have a couple of really large ones, already have some pretty huge shrubs to remove that have died over the winter including my 2 beautiful pittosporum, living in hope they may recover but stems are brown and brittle so don't think it'll happen, don't want to loose any more.
    With us its flippin rabbits Louise, too large an area to fence it all so just have to cover things they're partial too with wire netting and hope foxy loxy does his worst, ate every single flower on my bergenias but left the leaves alone!!!!!!

5. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Shiney,have you got any photos of the damage that has been done please as it would be interesting to see what the affected bush looks like,Thanks:)

6. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,505
    I'll take some photos and put them up this evening.

7. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,505
    I think I understated the size of each bush. This is one of them and doesn't look too bad from a distance.

[​IMG]

But as you get closer you can see the problem

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of this was last year's damage.

The beetle goes into the soil at the end of summer after laying its eggs in the tips of the growing shoots. The eggs hatch and the grub (?) starts on the leaves and can skeletonise it completely but tends to move from one juicy leaf to another causing damage.

It only seems to have affected our variegated viburnums.

8. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Shiney,

Many thanks for putting up the photos for us to see :dbgrtmb: The devastation looks really bad and I don't blame you for resorting to using sprays to try to save your bushes and hope that it solves the problem :yess:

All around our village the landscapers have put in hedges that have been ruined by some bug and they all look quiet bad.I asked Mr Kandy just now after seeing your photos and he said Viburnum Beetle although he doesn't think the bushes are off that species damage so will have to keep an eye on our bushes although we don't have any varigated ones just the normal plain ones but they are not that large yet ....