1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Vine weevil in Acers.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jasmine star, Jun 2, 2022.

1. Jasmine star

Jasmine star Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,960
    Hi all,
    This has probably been asked a lot so apologies but I lost a established Acer in a pot last month. I put it down to over watering. Now my other one is wilting. I've checked the pot of the dead one and it's full of weevil grubs and eggs. So is there anything I can do now to save the other before it's doomed. :wallbanging:
    Thanks in advance.

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Hi,
    A couple of things you could try, somewhat dependant on what the actual size of the plant and pot ?

Nematodes can be used this time of year, but it might be too slow to save the plant now if it is infected with Weevils.

Bug Clear Vine Weevil Killer, but used a full drench ie, stand the pot in a tub of the killer so its totally immersed. Might have to be repeated to catch the next generation of hatchlings.

Last restort, if practicable, remove from the pot and wash off all the soil and bugs with a hose, repot and hope it survives ...

• Like Like x 2
    • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
      Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
      Ratings:
      +6,780
      I would repot it immediately and then spray it with Vine Weevil spray. I just bought some for one of my Hydrangeas.

• Jasmine star

Ratings:
      +1,960
      @ricky101 thanks :love30:
      I can get it out of the pot and will do as you suggest. I've just ordered 2 bottles of Bug clear vine weevil killer and will treat all surrounding pots too. Many thanks again.

Will do @Jocko :love30:
      Thanks. What is the spray you have bought. Will be handy for future reference.

• Jasmine star

Ratings:
      +1,960
      Quick update.
      I've taken the Acer out of it's pot cleaned the roots and 3 hours later it's in it's new pot with fresh compost. :phew: I found alot of weevils hiding under the rim of the pot and lots of eggs in the soil. Cleaned the whole area. Hopefully the Acer will recover and I will treat the surrounding pots when the Bug clear arrives.
      Thanks for the advice everyone :love30:

• Like Like x 1
      • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
        Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
        Ratings:
        +6,780
        The stuff I bought was the BugClear Ultra Vine Weevil Killer Concentrate 480ML.

• Like Like x 1