1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted - rich man

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by Honey Bee, May 17, 2006.

1. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    banana man..I suppose when you worked with that amount of money it meant nothing !! I worked with vast amounts of money once and i never even thought of it as money as it wasnt mine..i just did my work and forgot about it..alas their were some with sticky fingers but they allways got caught..!! :rolleyes:

2. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    I like money and indeed I used to have some, but it is the side of myself I like least that wants more. A wise man said to me once that whatever you earn you will live to your means, so be content with what you have. This is very true, I think once you have fulfilled all your basic needs all else is potentially detrimental to your moral integrity.

A centimeter of �£50's is about 5 grand by the way. No-one seemed to have sticky fingers when I worked there, even with so much money its all accounted for down to the last penny!

BM [​IMG]

3. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    my daughter works for a large bank in their business section and its amazing how many get arrested and marched away..they cant see the money so they move stuff out of bank accounts or make credit cards or whatever thieves do..money doesnt bother me at all..we have enough to live comfortable and thats all that matters..when my mum died my cousin who is allready a millionaire had emptyied her house before i even knew she was dead..so i just let him get on with it and he took the lot and good for him as i didnt give a hoot...and something similar happend to my husband ..so as far as money is concerned i really dont care..I shall make certain that i leave nothing behind when i go....money is the root of all evil...

4. Beefy

Beefy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    To true BM a couple of my mates went to work on a large civil enginering job laying a gas pipeline. They were clearing over �£700 a week but it only lasted about 18 months . As you say they got used to the money spent it ,didnt save any ,now they are running about crying poverty and dont want to work for less than �£550/week.When I did continental work in the lorries we used to carry up to �£4000 for diesel and tolls for a three week trip to Turkey and back. Was glad when it all went to Euros(only one currency to carry)even happier when we were all given company credit cards and diesel cards. You sleep a bit easier in the cab when you have very little money with you! :D

5. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with wildflower, money is the root of all evil think of the 3 wise monkeys!!!!fancy

6. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    no BM MOONSHINE IN THE GARDNERS SHED.FANCY :D :D

7. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
  8. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Sorry to be pedantic, guys, but the phrase is "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil"
    1 Timothy 6:10

9. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Having read all of this thread now, how about this tale.

When I was a youngster, my dad and step-mum had a little grocery shop in Chester. Every week this dirty little old lady would come in and fuss over her pennies to buy a loaf of bread and stuff. Mam took pity on her and much to dad's annoyance, would regularly fill up a carrier-bag with all sorts of basics and give it to her in a secretive way!! She did this for several years. This LOL had a goitre on her neck and one day she was discovered dead in bed in her unbelievably dirty little room, choked to death by her goitre.

When the police searched her room to try and find evidence of her next of kin, they found piles and piles of cash notes all over the place. An estimate was that she had 100 grand stashed away and this was in 1956, BTW!! My mam was incandescant! "She could have bought this shop ten times over and she used to take free food from me!" "Erm, honey" my dad put in "THAT was why she had a 100 grand!"

10. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,949
    MMDaisy, I've heard of these tales before and it makes your hair curl (if you've got staight hair, that is) and frizz otherwise! I feel sorry for you Mam (and Dad) because it was taking money from them! :(

11. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,949
    Just to carry on a wee bit from the above, I've known a few men in America who looked like slobs first Class and were millionaires ... could have married one or two of them ... but glad I chose the one I did ... a long-haired hippy whom my father didn't approve of! We were penniless, hungry but happy ... and 38+ years later we are not penniless nor hungry but are still happy! :D

[ 03. August 2006, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: Lady of Leisure ]

12. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,527
    We're also very happy with what we have and (luckily) should be able to live out our time in reasonable comfort whilst helping others where we can, but I think we need to realise that there are some rich people out there that are also very nice people.

Some of you know that I used to be a hairdresser and therefore knew hundreds of my clients quite well. Some of them were very rich (a few were millionaires) and most of those were very nice and extremely generous. We used to raise a lot of money for charity and some of the rich clients were even more generous than you would expect - so were some of the poor ones. There was one of them that said whatever money we raise for any charity he would double it. He kept his word for the 15 years I knew him and gave us over �£60,000 for the various charities. He always insisted that we were not to mention his name to the charities and remained anonymous for those 15 years. You couldn't have met a nicer person.
    -----------------
    shiney

13. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    WOW!!! SHINEY IT MUST BE LOVELY TO KNOW ALL THOSE people and generous too. [​IMG] :cool:

14. nicsdad

nicsdad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Honey Bee org Qs not a millionaire,got age,no looks and 1/2 my own teeth!
    got a chance then? [​IMG]

15. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    As it happens I heard this supposedly true story about this customer's relative when I was in a check-out queue yesterday.

An elderly aunt was at the undertakers to see her late husband before they fastened the coffin when she suddenly said 'wait a minute, he asked to be buried with his money' and off she went returning later with several thousands in notes.

The undertaker said 'I can't put all that in the coffin as there isn't room! But give me the notes and I'll give you a cheque and you can put that in!'

The old lady solemnly agreed!!!!!!!!

:eek: