WD 40

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by Doghouse Riley, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
    Ratings:
    +5,368
    It may have escaped your attention, but easy start is generally only used on diesel engines, which dont have points... :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Perhaps, re-read? :dunno:
      Are you making a personal attack here? :dunno: I do so hope not! Which "original" and which "poor board etiquette" are you referring to? :scratch: That is quite an ambiguous statement so I have no answer to it. Perhaps you could be more precise?
      Ok, so ... on that note ...
      :whistle: :heehee:
      In who's opinion? Clearly you are referring to your own here. :heehee:
      Perhaps, because, your argument may be ... flawed? :dunno: While I accept, in your opinion, smilies upon occasion may be used to excuse what people say ... to the point of ... "I didn't really mean it" ... that is merely *your* opinion of what they are used for. I have presented an alternative view of how smilies are utilised. One which, a generation or two, may well agree with. In which case, perhaps there is an argument for viewing smilies in a broader context? Not merely from your own perspective!
      I am not the only forum member who uses them; nor did I invent them; nor did I include them as a forum feature. So, the question begs to be asked: who may be misguided here?
      On the contrary, my post was written in the context of *being* constructive! How else do you assume it was written? :scratch: Likewise, you have presented your opinion, which I'm quite sure you believe to be constructive, on smilies. Yet, you may well find, there are people who disagree with your opinion on the whole purpose of smilies.

If I may? :whistle:

When the internet was first available to "the masses", internet access was paid for by the second! Therefore, every "second" was valuable; it cost money! Quite a bit to be honest. Which would have excluded more than half the population by sheer expense. :)
      Every character typed and uploaded took time, took money. Smilies were a way of conveying a more definitive meaning to the written word, but in brief.
      Fast forward just a couple of years and mobile phones also became available to "the masses". Just as internet access began as a pay by second venture, so too did mobile phones. Texts were a pay by character feature. As a consequence, acronyms became very popular (LOL!) and smilies conveyed the meaning behind the words but in less characters (so, less expensive!). Far easier to type a semi-colon, a hyphen and an end bracket to achieve ;) than to type "I'm only joking!" :thumbsup:

I do hope this illustration may help you to view their history, context, resourcefulness as something far greater than a mere
      Some people may well use them that way.
      Some people may well mean them that way.
      You cannot infer that I use them that way, or mean them that way for one simple reason: you do not know me! ;) Plenty on here do know me though, both on the boards through the years, and in real life; most have been subject of my smiley history and any of any standing know my humour :dbgrtmb: :heehee:

If you do not, that says far more about you than it does me!

Now, fancy a coffee? :coffee:

• Like Like x 1
      • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
        Ratings:
        +4,411

On another hobby board a contributor advertised his car for sale. Two men came round to look at it. When he started it up , a lot of smoke came out of the exhaust and they tried to beat him down in price, but he didn't fall for it. It can happen that unscrupulous potential buyers sometimes unseen squirt some oil up the exhaust pipe, which causes this to happen.

Yes, this spray can be very volatile causing a lot more combustive force.

• Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
        Ratings:
        +4,411
        "Bradex Easy Start" is for any engine, petrol or diesel. But in any event, I was describing more the reasons for poor starting.

• clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
        Ratings:
        +7,618
        Reminds me of the time we went for an MOT - the garage put the car on a ramp and claimed that the car was leaking oil - it was in reality hydraulic fluid leaking from the ramp. The last time we went there.

I'm convinced that some garages think that Joe Public knows nothing about cars - and that they try to take advantage of this.

• Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
        Ratings:
        +4,411
        Sorry I hadn't the time to read all that.

I actually quoted your comment which demonstrated your poor board etiquette, so here you go, I'll quote it again.

Lacks class, even as a joke
        Neanderthals are us?

But fair enough, I'll just put you down as, "Likes to dish it out, but takes the hump when it comes straight back at them."

No sugar thanks.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
      • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
        Ratings:
        +5,368
        I did use the word "generally." Whichever way things go, diesels still dont have points...

• Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
        Ratings:
        +4,411
        It's women who suffer most. I remember an article in a paper where the same fault was "engineered" on several different cars car and both a man an a woman took them into a garage asking for a quote and every time the woman was quoted a far higher price.

• Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
        Ratings:
        +4,411
        I don't remember saying they did.

It was your "it may have escaped your attention " which prompted my response.

• Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
        Ratings:
        +5,368
        I can say this. In all my years, I have never, ever known anyone to feel the need to use any kind of Easy Start on a petrol engined vehicle. Perhaps you have a lot more experience in the automotive world than I do though. Especially in regard to your comment regarding garages...

• clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
        Ratings:
        +7,618
        This is awful - but sadly does go on. The trick is finding a garage who you can trust. We've found such a garage and all my family use them.

• Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
        Ratings:
        +4,411
        I guess there's many things that people use of which neither of us have any experience or knowledge. I've never used Easy Start, I just know it's available for either diesel or petrol engines. All it does is provide a combustive gas for any sort of engine.

But I have noticed in many an episode of the USA TV car restoration programme "Fantom Works," they use some sort of aerosol spray in the carburettor to coax in to life reluctant petrol engines after a rebuild or some sort of alteration or addition of a new part.
        This could be for a number of reasons, including an air lock in the fuel line.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Might I suggest that if "M" and Doghouse Riley can't see eye to eye then could you both put each other on respective ignore lists :whistle:

• Agree Agree x 1
        • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +20,941
          I can remember that in the back 80's a number of letters advocating the use of WD-40 on stiff/painful knees appeared in the running press. After a year or so the conclusion was "placebo effect" although the required "rubbing it in" might be helping.

• Like Like x 2
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
            Ratings:
            +4,411
            In our family we find Arnica gel often works wonders, particularly for inflammation or bruises