1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Weeds

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by rosietutu, Nov 14, 2013.

1. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    I have a lot of weeds coming up between my paved back garden not a large area one I thought I could keep up with bending down pulling out etc, I now have to accept I am to old, at 83 and achy to keep on top of them and was considering the purchase of a (Small) about a gallon pressure effort.Has any one personal experience of these ? I do not want a state of the art thing just a cheapie that does the job with a minimum of effort, any ideas welcome. :chicken:

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Rosie, A one gallon flame gun, if that is what you are thinking about is HEAVY! If you want to go the flame gun route you'd probably be better with one that uses a gas cannister - very much cheaper and a lot lighter too.
    An alternative and probably more effective strategy would be to use a weedkiller that kills the weeds and prevents re-germination. Path Clear would do it. I use a product called Pistol which is used by councils, it costs more to buy, but is very effective and works out cheaper in the long run.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +434
      Flame killer Oh No, just thought I could get pump spray thing, plastic to fill with some thing like Path clear that would give a continus spray as opposed to the little half pint hand held squirter bottles which always gives me cramp in my hand

• Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
      Ratings:
      +3,035
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +434
        Oh thank you Dave, That looks just the job, Have a B/Q just down the road will fetch one and while the weathers not bad will do it on Sunday. Then will retire indoors for the coming bad weather and make Christmas cake/mince meat.....The Pansies I planted in the hanging baskets purchased from the market few weeks ago are flowering well bit surprised as I don't usually get much joy from Pansies perhaps they like being in baskets! Thanks again.:blue thumb:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,505
        Using the spray is a good idea but you need to make sure the spray doesn't drift onto plants that you want.

Actually using the sprayer is quite easy. You fill it with the chemical and work the pump. What you will find is that when the sprayer is fairly full you can't do much pumping but the pressurisation is also low. So the nice fine spray becomes a trickle fairly quickly. As the amount of liquid in the sprayer reduces you need to do more pumping to get the pressure up but it will stay under pressure longer.

I would be inclined to label the sprayer with 'weedkiller' just in case anyone picks it up by accident.

• Like Like x 1
        • rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +434
          Right then..Half fill it Spray when no breeze . I suppose weeds keep growing even when the frost finishes of every thing else. Label it Ha Ha !! there is only me that works around here!
          Well in the garden any way. Just purchased some solar lights that work, from John Lewis . They certainly brighten things up a bit, They can also be charged up from a USB if they don't get enough sun so I have draped them around the hanging baskets that I filled with polyanthus just coming into flower shall have some thing cheerful to look at I hope in the murky days ahead.