1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2021

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,808
    Clearing up glass. Shed loads of it! Part of the 'charm' of my antique greenhouse is that the panes have been replaced due to breakages etc over time; a lot has also fallen out since falling into disrepair. All this glass is strewn about the estate (site / garden lol) so I'm collecting it up, storing what is usable and binning the rest. Which is a lot.

• Like Like x 7
    • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
      Ratings:
      +10,974
      07690847-95EF-4096-8DFD-10F1F8C024E6.jpeg Today i'll be continuing in the greenhouse dividing up some of my plants and tidying up my wall pots again.

• Like Like x 9
      • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,883
        Good morning its to wet in the garden so I have been baking for my comfort eating:heehee::heehee::heehee:

P1020653.JPG

• Like Like x 15
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          It was only 41f today but there was no cold wind and it was dry so I got the Secateurs out to prune the Shrub Roses right back and it feels like a job well done. The oldest Buddleia by the Patio had been pruned back by about a half but today I got a long Saw out and reduce the old thick trunks down to about 3' and the old cut pieces and the Rose pruning's ended up in the Council Green Waste Bin. I've still got all the borders to clear out of all the old dead plant stems and growth but there's no rush. Some Couch Grass has returned and it showing it's head again so I gave it a good spray with Weed Killer.:cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Like Like x 9
          • Jasmine star

Jasmine star Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,960
            Unwrapped the Marguerite daisy as the sun come out today. It's looking shabby to say the least but I'm holding back from cutting the scruffy stems off as last year I killed a lovely one I had by cutting it back :sad: cleaned and refilled the bird feeders. Playing the game of opening and closing the windows on the greenhouse at the moment and bought 2 packs of Dahlia pink blend :yes:

• Like Like x 10
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
              +21,808
              More uprooting and transplanting of hedging, general clearing of crud

• Like Like x 6
              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,497
                As we have so many trees we spend a lot of our time from November to February clearing leaves. The bulk of the leafing is done by Lewis who comes occasionally to give us a hand with the heavier work. He can also take away a lot of the leaves which are used by a farmer.

We have four compost heaps for leaves and grass (with some shredded paper and bonfire ash added).

This heap doesn't look quite so big but it goes down some feet from what appears to be the surface.
                P1500478.JPG

This is one of the older heaps that is now being used on the garden. To the left of it is a now empty one (spread on the veggie plot) and the top of this one shall be moved onto it. That is a job for Lewis as my back isn't up to it.
                P1500479.JPG

We have regular bonfires as we have a lot of garden waste that needs getting rid of and the ash is used in the compost or is taken by some neighbours to spread on the plots.

We've removed some of our privet to give us a bit more room and to access the fence for painting.
                P1500477.JPG

P1500484.JPG

Some of our grasses have now been cut back but we have a lot more to go.
                P1500480.JPG

The long job for me is removing the inches of leaves on the pots in the nursery areas that have to be done by hand. There were also stacks of leaves between the pots, almost as high as the pots, that needed clearing out.

These are some of the pots and the area behind them is where we removed some privet. I put some old broken paving there and covered it with black porous membrane.
                P1500471.JPG

A couple of other nursery areas all deleafed :)
                P1500491.JPG

P1500492.JPG

We have a couple of thousand small pots neatly stacked in the shed with a much smaller amount of larger pots. All the other pots are stored on a paved area that is used for a nursery area. This overflows onto what was the lawn alongside when people drop their used pots and trays off to us. Unfortunately, these also get full of leaves and the occasional shrew (very cute). So I carefully remove those leaves and put the shrews under the hedge.
                There are still a few thousand left. :phew:
                P1500473.JPG

P1500475.JPG

I have been extra fussy about what pots and trays I keep as we're not going to be able to open our garden this year, again. :sad: So even those that are slightly damaged have to go. As they are non-recyclable they have to go in our black wheelie bin - which I have filled twice so far -
                and there is still all this to go, stored on the barrows and will fill another couple of bins.

You can see that the pots and trays have killed off the grass :doh:. So that's another job to be done.
                P1500463.JPG

• Like Like x 7
                • Informative Informative x 1
                • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                  Ratings:
                  +10,974
                  Wow youve been busy out there Shiney. Putting me to shame. However...another greenhouse day today as it's pouring down outside AGAIN.

• Like Like x 3
                  • Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Useful Useful x 1
                  • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                    Ratings:
                    +118,497
                    I'm now working on clearing leaves from a triangular bed about 40ft x 40ft x 30ft in the front garden. This is very awkward as I can't use a rake in it. It is full of snowdrops where, at this time of year, there are loads of tiny bulbs sitting on the surface. So I have to do it by hand which wouldn't be too bad but the bed is also full of shrubs and dogwood. So it is bending work (ooh my back!) as well as trying to avoid the grasping branches of the dogwood.

I hope to finish this bed by the weekend and am transplanting the loose snowdrops in a bed in the back garden. This was made more difficult by Sarafi the cat deciding to investigate what I was doing and dug them out again. :doh:

• Like Like x 7
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Hazel Twigg

Hazel Twigg Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                      +15
                      This is the sort of arrogant bad behaviour that makes my blood boil too. Our neighbour is a fencer by trade and whacked up a solid fence while I was at work. This fence has the posts on our land although its only around 6 inches in. Not a lot I could do about it as it was put in with Postcrete etc. This was several years ago and I have since pointed out that the whole fence is in our side and offered to contribute to a new fence on the boundary. Told him my preference is for an open fence as the light comes from the direction of their garden and my plants and lawn is suffering. He has made various excuses for not doing this including his wife is unsure what type of fence she wants. Don't know where to take this now except to a therapist as the situation is bugging me no end.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                      • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
                        +2,860
                        I see we all like the same:spinning:..good healthy puff pastry and sausage meat...yummy but I am counting the calories....:gaah:

• Informative Informative x 1
                        • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
                          +2,860
                          Well these types follow me where ever we go...that is of course only how it seems as other neighbours in our other two homes were mostly kind and considerate.
                          My daughter has a house still where we lived in Bexhill so know her neighbour Anne who has many cats and a dog so my daughter and Ias animal lovers found it easy to be friendly with her. My daughter keeps the neighbourly attitude neighbours keep as neighbours but when she had the odd party she always invited her. I had been with Anne personally chatting and joking and she seemed fine. Her elderly Father owned the property and Anne when she parted with her Husband got his house to live in.. Around 7 years ago the Father call him A. he spoke with my daughter call her R. about the four parking spacing they had between them and would she swap one of them with Anne's . Thought about it and declined. A. has been a successful business man and no's his onion's apparently. He spoke with this suggestion a few times over the next couple of years and then out of the blue he said that the adjoining fence was not in the correct place and some of the fence was up to 6 inches over his side...He was completely terrible over this, especially as R. was still going through Cancer treatment with the scars of no hair which would speak for itself. No he won the day. They had to dismantle their shed because it was already up against the boundary fence. trailer moved and whatever else..and he arranged for a new fence to be erected. Anne was still speaking to R. at this stage but that did not last and the abuse led R. to inform the Police and contact the Council as well. Last week she had to phone the Police again and so the report is in the frame. R. was back at work after her covid was now negative as R. parked now on the road because the A. had made enquiries about the land and he stated it was all of his even in front of my R. backway.Anne came out of her house screaming at R. saying she had smashed her car up. R. even looked all over it and could see no damage but the abuse has now taken a very dark side. A. is 100% lost her marbles over this. We do know some of her health issues have been in the brain but never would have believed that things would get so bad for R.
                          Long..sorry for that, almost finished...
                          The two properties actually have no Planning Permission and for the so called parking land R. does not know as yet who has what. R. has been told that a small part of her front garden next to the pavement is still owned my somebody I think in Canada.Messy business..:paladin:

• Like Like x 1
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                            Ratings:
                            +89,883
                            Good morning @DianneW and @Hazel Twigg with the greatest respect your posts are venturing towards going off topic could I ask you please to remember that this thread is for"
                            WHAT ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY and just respectfully suggest that you start a new thread in "The Off Topic " forum ,Thank you;):blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 7
                            • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
                              +2,860

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                              • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                                +100,836
                                Could I respectfully point out that this thread main theme is about what the GC Gang plans to do or is doing in the garden and not about disputes with neighbours which can, because of the emotions being caused, result in large posts basically taking over the Thread. Problems such as disputes with neighbours might be better posted in the Off Topic Forum.

• Agree Agree x 3
                                • Like Like x 2
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.