1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2021

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Another amble around the garden, wrapped in a thick warm coat, with a Mug of Tea. I'm filling the Bird Feeder daily now and although I've still got a large Bin of seed I might have to take a trip to the Pet Superstore to get another 20 kilo. Even though there is a slight thaw the Bird Baths are still frozen but most of the snow is on the ground but, unfortunately there are still large pieces of ice lying around that have slid off the Observatory. The Cats spent most of the time watching the Pigeons from the upper windows.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
    • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +9,233
      Yesterday we worked at cutting the top of the long hedge down the garden. This involved hubby using a 2metre long hedge cutter, whilst standing on a metre-high platform, and leaning as far over as he could to reach the far side! Far more scary, dangerous and tiring than cutting the sides! We only managed to do 2/3 of the length, so the last 15 metres or so to do another time....
      I also cleared all the oak leaves up on the pavement area along the street, which we we obliged to clear. If the weather that is forecast arrives - barely above freezing for a week, with intermittent snow - I need to keep the pavement as safe as possible.

Today I just did some oak-leaf clearing.... I gathered up those that hubby has carefully fished out of the pond. They were left above the pond, for any li’l critters to crawl back in, but the wind is changing direction, and coming from the north now - we were in danger of them all being blown straight back in again! I cleared the leaves off the edge of the top border, so I could see the bulbs starting to come through, and then 3-4 trug-fulls from the area between the house, the island bed, and the angle bed. These are favourite toilet areas for the dog in inclement weather, and also favourite “I need a leg-stretch” walking areas for me, so keeping them clear of leaves enables them being kept clear of other booby-traps!
      Now I’m sitting indoors with a nice mug of tea, watching the blue-tits bathing in the water-bath on the patio table.

• Like Like x 10
      • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,860
        In normal times..Our commune regarding greenage has appointed staff that look after the outside of our properties greenage wise. They have all the equipment needed to cut the tops of our hedges and the far upright side of our hedges that would start to cause vehicle drivers to peer through twigs/branches...we do not have pavements anywhere around here we has some grass verges and ours has a gully with soakaways .Our main 'staff'who keeps our outside in tip top is David and guessing around 45 :)yrs of age single and has a steady girlfriend but does not want to be married for some reason or other. He speaks some English but prefers we talk to him in French which as usual we both end up in confusion and really have little idea what we are saying to each other..then English creeps in.He keeps the verges cut short so in some places you can walk on and keeps the road clean.The other day I noticed he was filling a few minor holes in the road.
        He use to work 1 day per week at our local refuse place(dechetterie)but got the opportunity to take on more Garden type work for our Commune and jumped at the chance.I would like to know what he thinks of our fairly new Marie but now is not the time for that, many things have changed because of Covid19, most of us are doing our own outsides now and we at least get to pass the time of day with our neighbours, be it from afar. Directly opposite our place we have new neighbours a young couple that like to mix with their neighbours and offer help readily..my kind of folks, so we can offer help to them if needed which feels nice.The end of the plot we have an elderly couple who have loads of family visiting them regularly and I Son who comes and stays over almost every weekend,keeps the property under control for them and they have most of their Garden it seems from here as Veggie Plots (Potage)Their family in normal times arrive at weekends in' crowds' and unbelievably quiet. What a great family they are.The French like the Spanish are family orientated..in general..Shops here I come.

• Like Like x 3
        • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
          Ratings:
          +10,977
          After doing my tax return (I MUST do it today) I will be trying to clear some space in the greenhouse and laying out the heat mat. I could do with another shelving unit in there as I've got so much stuff!

• Like Like x 7
          • Jasmine star

Jasmine star Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,960
            Refilled and cleaned out the bird feeders. The dog has gone off the snails now. His new delicacy is bird seed :rolleyespink: Most of the garden is still iced over so can't do much else.

• Like Like x 5
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
              Ratings:
              +10,977
              Oopsy, didn't actually go outside apart from dogs and feeding the birds. Way too cold. Stayed inside and did washing, cleaning, exercise routine online, tidied up paints etc. Just about to sort through all my seeds - some I will be starting off inside soon like shallots and spring onions. Think I will be ordering some jiffy pellets again. Thank goodness for amazon and online shopping...I just don't want to go out anymore now!

• Like Like x 7
              • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
                +2,860
                Helped Mr.W winding up the slightly frozen hoses and that#s the extent of my outside today..apart from a quick shop earlier.
                Went through some photos of our last property in the UK and found this one..Love the sign ... Spanish Tiles...its small because I copied and pasted from the' for sale pictures.'.6 years and its still on the web..good if you have a property name....
                thumbnail_image.png

• Like Like x 4
                • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,860
                  that's better:)
                  [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                  • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
                    +2,860
                    This was the front garden...
                    [​IMG]
                    Did have a strange look if you notice the add on small extension doors that when opened had a drop of 3/4 of a metre....we fell in Love with it as we walked down the unmade Lane with all of its muckiness when we viewed the terrain....

• Like Like x 6
                    • Informative Informative x 1
                      Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
                    • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
                      +2,860
                      ...adjoining and could smell the nearby little brewery....12 years later the mob took over...planning through court hearings got reversed and all hell broke out....Worsham Farm no more....
                      [​IMG]

Construction on new major Bexhill housing development to start

• Like Like x 2
                      • Friendly Friendly x 2
                      • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
                        Ratings:
                        +50,933
                        100% Agree ... plus ebay! Actually, I haven't been shopping in four years I think ... T'other Half does the grocery shopping.

• Like Like x 3
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                          Ratings:
                          +44,692
                          Might not do anything outside today it's really cold, just thinking about cutting the old leaves off the hellebores, the bin has been emptied so I can re fill it.:heehee:

• Like Like x 7
                          • 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
                            Ratings:
                            +1,840
                            The last couple of months have been dedicated to inside jobs (on the plus side, we finally have a fully functional kitchen again :yay:), so I had a quick potter outside this afternoon to see what needs doing where. The next big job outside is building bases for the greenhouse and shed, but wandering around thinking about them is a good enough passtime for the moment!

• Like Like x 9
                            • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
                              +2,860
                              Amazon just cancelled my order for a replacement motor for a ecco fan that sits on our log burner and blows the air around...that was a 1st...
                              but I get items quickly and mostly cheap on the delivery costs. use Amazon France a lot....You even have the option of cancelling as longs as it not been processed. Now QVC, they owe me money through sending out two items the same one to France and one to the UK. we have all the paperwork to show the return of the 2nd one and have sent copies to them..this has been going on since November 2020 take your money in a blink of an eye and sit on it for forever it seems...They run on a good reputation so then your likely to use them again...

• Like Like x 2
                              • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                                Ratings:
                                +10,977
                                Done nowt except water a few plants in the greenhouse and cold frame. Too cold after dog walking.

• Like Like x 6
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.