1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What easy to grow flower seeds can be planted now (indoors?)

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by TheMadHedger, Apr 17, 2016.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    As I'm new to growing plants from seed my only successes so far are Sweet Peas (very easy, quick to germinate). So far no luck with Petunias or Polyanthus (I know they can take a few weeks to germinate and can be a pain, plus I only planted them about 10 days ago) and my Nasturtiums were only planted 4 days ago so, understandably, no germination as of yet.

What flower seeds are easy to grow and can be planted now (indoors for later transplanting outdoors?), germinate relatively fast and produce nice blooms through at least the summer?

Thanks

2. BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
    Ratings:
    +6,133
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,173
      As well as Cosmos, other easy ones I've sown this spring are : Larkspur, Cornflower, Morning Glory, Nigella, Night Scented Stocks, Rudbeckia, Tagetes and Zinnia. All mine took 6 to 7 days to germinate indoors, then i moved them out to the greenhouse to stop them getting leggy.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
        +226
        Many thanks for the great suggestions, looks like I have a lovely selection to choose from. :)

BTW, how good are Cosmos at dealing with wind? I ask as I see that they grow pretty tall. I live in a fairly exposed and windy location and they will be planted in an exposed west facing bed and also one bed that is south facing. Because of this I'm only concentrating on those which grow up to three feet tall (at the maximum) and also looking at some of the shorter ones.

Having said that, my Anemones (in the west facing bed) grow very tall (at least three feet) and they survive some very strong winds, so are Cosmos as strong as Anemones?

• Like Like x 1
          Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
        • TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
          +226
          As an addendum to this thread (and in addition to my Cosmos queries above regarding wind tolerance) what seeds for ground cover plants can be planted now (indoors) which also germinate very quickly and easily? Alternatively anything that grows no higher than maybe 8 inches.

And one addendum to my queries in general, I have dogs so any plants must not be toxic (Cosmos are fine for example).

• Sandra-Tingle

Sandra-Tingle Gardener

Ratings:
          +23
          I think I will take the advice here for myself as well :). Are Impatiens easy to grow from seed?

• Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
          Ratings:
          +6,224
          Hey @TheMadHedger was my first year growing from seed last year (tried all sorts), petunia done nothing for me and from other peoples experience are not worth the bother/soil.. I have found out lobelia are not worth my time either (this year) so will buy when they're in the shops.

However last year I found livingstone daisy (started indoors), candy tuft, nigella and alyssum are good ground cover and the latter 3 was direct sown outdoors (depending on wind for you, I'm sure) and grew brilliantly, some even self seeded into the patio cracks!

The others @JWK mentioned (esp zinnia and cornflower, piece of p*ss) and definitely @BeeHappy 's suggestion of cosmos (mine seemed fine with wind..they did bend towards the end of summer though.) Not sure if its too late now (someone please correct me) but hollyhocks, lupin, dahlia, marigolds and delphiniums are easy to start from seed too.

If you find you haven't got the patience to wait for them to germinate, get a bag of begonia corms and start them off inside instead, a tleast you know you wont be disappointed and will def have flowers. 50p has run out.. :)

@Sandra-Tingle you posted as I was typing, impatiens are fiddly I found and again not worth bother but have a go don't want to put you off, it might just be my brown fingers!

• Like Like x 1
          • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,246
            @TheMadHedger .
            • Nasturtiums should germinate
            • Zinnia very quick germination less than a week
            • Phlox is quick
            • Marigolds are reliable
            It may seem obvious , but follow the instructions on the packet . Especially the temperature . You will not achieve 18-20°c outside . Its still windowsill time :blue thumb:

PS : Thunbergia , Black Eyed Susans . Germinate and grow quickly - lovely small climber .

• Agree Agree x 2
            • TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
              +226
              Thanks again for the helpful replies. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                +28,997
                + Sweet William, I save seeds from mine so they work out really cheap.

• miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +2,389
                Californian poppies are as easy to grow as well as a great display...I am just unsure whether they want planting now

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +23,089
                Are you looking for annuals or perennials?

Both have a short period of viability (shelf life). As far as Polyanthus goes it really should be sown in situ as they need a period of winter cold and wet to trigger germination.

Impatiens are easy. I use the paper towel method.

If the seed is still viable Lobelia (annual or perennial) are easy. Another one with a limited shelf life.

Best sown in situ they can be started just about any time of the year.

• Like Like x 1
                • TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
                  +226
                  @longk - Annuals or Perennials, I'm not worried.

Ta for the tip regarding Polyanthus. Perhaps I should sow some directly into the ground late Autumn?

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +23,089
                  Ok. So annual wise now is a good time for Nicotiania sylvestris...............
                  [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perennials;
                  Salvia dolichantha..............
                  [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Many other Salvia species as well.

Sow any time but they won't really start germinating until next spring.

• Like Like x 2
                  • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +5,385
                    Every yr ive grown them they have stood up to the winds and my gardens a wind tunnel,im doing dwarf ones this yr for a change but thats only because im trying other annuals too,also helichrysum paper flower stands well in the wind :)

• Like Like x 1
                    • Informative Informative x 1