1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What is eating my plant and how do I treat it?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by seanflan02, Aug 22, 2021.

1. seanflan02

seanflan02 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello all!

I'm really hoping you can provide some advice on an issue I am having with a plant in our courtyard.

(Full disclosure. I have no gardening experience and after scouring the internet without luck, I have joined the forum to hopefully get some direction on the matter).

A particular plant in our rented courtyard (I must apologise here as I do not know the plant name) is clearly being eaten by something. Clean holes, always starting from the edge, are being taken out of the youngest leaves. See a snapshot below of the young red leaves, with the darker ones unaffected behind. Plant 2.jpg

After doing some research on google, the most obvious suggestion in my view was the "leaf cutter bee". However, based on the amount of leaves affected in such a small courtyard with very little bees in circulation, I'm led to think that this insect may not be the root cause. I work next to the plant all week and have never noticed bees in the vicinity. I will continue to look however.

Other insects such as aphids and slugs also did not fit the bill in my view. Yes, there are slugs in the courtyard, but again with the volume of leaves and slightness of some of them, I could not envisage slugs causing such damage. Additionally, on inspection of the plant a number of times, I have not come across a slug at any stage on the plant.

What is interesting however when I look at the underside of the affected leaves is the presence of an almost microscopic bug on each leaf. The bug is so small I cannot closely identify it with the naked eye. See the photo below of on of these bugs highlighted with the blus circle..
    Plant 1.jpg

It is certainly a bug that moves around. It does not fly away. I see about 2-4 on most leaves and have a feeling that these may be involved. I cannot determine what they are however. They are white/opaque. That's all I can confirm. Nothing online seems to fit the bill in my view.

Are bugs of such a size something anyone has encountered before with such a problem? Or could it be something else?

I'm based in London and the plant has had these holes present for a number of months, however it has become more prominent recently.

I would really appreciate some advice on this as I would like to ensure the plant is not being seriously damaged! My landlord went to a lot of effort to create a nice living space for us and we would like to honour it!!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Sean

2. JAS

JAS Gardener

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +168
    Vine Weevil would be my guess.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,050
      Pretty sure its not leaf cutter bee, they cut out very regular shaped circles, first thought was vine weevil, the biggest problem will be that they are laying eggs and the grubs that hatch will eat away at the plant roots all winter.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • seanflan02

seanflan02 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        Thanks for your thoughts JAS and Pete. I'll have seen one of two of these bugs about now that you mention it. I'll work on targeting it.

• Like Like x 1
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,206
          Hi,

Is this what you have seen ?

If so its not so much the leaf damage thats the problems, its the grubs eating the roots away over winter, then you notice the plants are dying next spring.

Two main courses of action use an insecticide drench like Provardo or a dench of Nematoes like Nemasys.

• Like Like x 3