1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What is it? Sorry don't know many flowers!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by will562, Jun 15, 2010.

1. will562

will562 Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    They have finished flowering now and I can see the seeds developing. Will it flower again if i remove the flower and the long stem?

Thanks!

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,929
    Hi Will and welcome to GC.

They look like Alliums to me ... do they smell of onion/garlic if you crush a leaf? They are a perennial so they will spread in time on their own.

3. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    yep, alliums I think :) gorgeous but not sure deadheading helps with these....just enjoy :)

4. will562

will562 Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Hi

Thanks for your replies, yes googled Alliums and that looks right to me.

Regards

Will

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Will - I think what you have is Allium hollandicum. It won't flower again this year if you dead head it, but it will come back again next year. They are perennial and pretty hardy.

You can either leave the stem and seed head - its quite attractive. Or you can remove it and let it dry out and use it in a flower arrangement. You will get lots of little hard, round, black seeds. And you can grow more plants from this seed. But they will take three or four years to grow from seed to a bulb which is big enough to flower.

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I leave the seed heads in the border - even when green they look good and as they dry up they go brown. Plus, they help me remember where I planted alliums when planting other things in autumn.