1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2017

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by wiseowl, Oct 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
    Ratings:
    +6,899
    Beautiful day on Anglesey, so took breakfast to the beach. After scoffing said breakfast I was quietly sat on a rock listening to the sea and the birds and letting my thoughts drift ..... when all of a sudden there was a scrabble of paws and a large, wet nose got pushed ( rather rudely I thought ) into the side of my face. Large, black and very happy Labrador, bit damp around the edges from swimming. I have no idea why but I seem to be a dog magnet. Strange dogs just have to come and see me, often ignoring the owners attempts to call them back.

This afternoon I planted more bulbs, both in the ground and into a pot and my large butler sink. Started making a raised bed - not sure if that's the correct term for it as it's going to be more of a bank than a bed I think. I used pieces of turf removed from bulb planting, old compost, some gravel for drainage and will finish it by building it up with some soil/compost mix. No idea what I'm going to plant in it yet :snorky:. I also dug up a mound of earth/weeds as I wanted to level it. I added some sand and gravel to the new bed in back garden. I'm starting to get some serious biceps from all this digging and shovelling :loll:. Spent around 4 hours in garden today and then sat on patio listening to the Sparrows :)

• Like Like x 5
    • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
      Ratings:
      +6,133
      @luciusmaximus :heehee: suns_out_guns_out.jpg
      Sounds like you had a very pleasant productive day :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
        Ratings:
        +6,899
        @BeeHappy the gardening was productive buy I'm not sure I would describe it as pleasant :snorky:. Certainly tired me out. Currently lying horizontally in bed :heehee: :loll:. I hope the Bees and other wildlife appreciate my efforts.

• Funny Funny x 3
        • Like Like x 1
        • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
          Ratings:
          +6,133
          @luciusmaximus your a busy-bee.jpg now and they'll say zde.gif
          in the Spring don't you worry :imphrt:

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,465
            It should go well as Bowles Mauve is one of the easiest to propagate. It was a good idea to dig it up after three years as they can get very woody - but it's usual to take the cuttings after two years so that the new ones are well on their way for when you dig up the old one. :thumbsup:

That's better than a lifted leg! :hate-shocked:

• Like Like x 2
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,465
              Today there won't be much work done in our garden but we've been invited round for lunch to a garden we designed and stocked in June. They want advice on what needs moving or removing as, apparently, things have grown very well. We tend to advise overstocking new beds so that there is more to see when the plants are small. Then we see how things go. Usually some don't survive and others may need moving. This is a good time to do the moving as they've only been in three months. :blue thumb:

I'll get some mowing done today as we have lots of guests tomorrow. :)

• Like Like x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 2
              • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
                Ratings:
                +10,584
                Hoping to get home from work early today and at least cut the front yard.
                think I have a home for some of my hardy geraniums I need to thin.

• Like Like x 6
                • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +31,885
                  Thank you. It was definitely erring on the woody side :redface: Good tip about cuttings on 2nd year too. If these take I plan to plant them in the small front garden, so I'll put a timed reminder on my mobile phone for two years time and then I can have them there permanently. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
                  • Useful Useful x 1
                  • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +5,414
                    I saw Aster blue and Aster pink today for half price. I didn't get them as I'm not sure where I would put them. They looked nice plants though. I also saw Achillea terracotta for half price. I would like an achillea but not that one. Cyclamen are now on sale which is very annoying.

G.

• Like Like x 2
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                      +17,487
                      Busy day ....helping out with Mind; I teach a little horticulture to some with learning difficulties. lovely mostly! Have volunteered with Samaritans, CAB, Victim Support and local food bank but am finding working with Mind very humbling :)

......but now lawns to cut.....or swim?? :noidea:
                      So chose a swim :hapfeet:...water was pretty warm and with the sun glinting on it looked soooo inviting. Wall to wall sunshine today and yesterday and it felt like August. :SUNsmile:

However, no delivery of plants yet :love30:
                      Still time I guess :)

Got lawns cut too.......:rasp:

• Like Like x 4
                      • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
                        Ratings:
                        +6,899
                        Shovelled half of a 1 tonne bag of soil to make my ' bank '. Popped into hardware store for sharp sand and stood looking at ceramic pots for ages - decided not to buy, but did buy 2 white asters. The purple and blue Asters are doing well and liked by the Bees, so thought the white would make nice addition. I don't have enough white flowers.

Received phone call from vets to say cat ready for collection, so had to abandon garden to go and collect him. He had 2 teeth removed, which required a GA. On journey home he poo'd in my car :gaah: :gaah: ( or more accurately in the travel box ). Might have been reaction to the GA or the cheap food he ate at vets or both. My car reeks, my house reeks :hate-shocked:.

@Verdun I received a full refund for my failed Scabious plugs. I had actually complained earlier but just had the refund email today.

• Like Like x 2
                        • Friendly Friendly x 2
                        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                          +17,487
                          Lucius.....you must have the muscles of Atlas to make that bank:)
                          Well done getting your refund......its been a week of sorting stuff for me too. :)
                          Not sure cats and dogs cope too well with dentistry.....my lab was sick too, his jaw was sore and he was a little drugged. :sad:

• Like Like x 1
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
                            Ratings:
                            +6,899
                            Soil is lighter to lift than the gravel, so less tiring. I hope to have it completed tomorrow and then let it settle for awhile before planting.

I suppose I should count my blessings that there wasn't vomit as well with the cat :hate-shocked:.

• Like Like x 1
                            • Funny Funny x 1
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                              +0
                              Today, i ave been mostly raking leaves...

DSCI0001 (5).JPG

• Like Like x 6
                              • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
                                +5,414
                                I've not been able to do as much gardening as I would have liked recently. I bought a few alpines today on a 3 for £10 deal. I'm keen to get those in the ground as soon as possible.

On the plus side, some of my seeds are doing well.

image.jpeg

Unfortunately I have no idea what's what as you can clearly see that my wife, bless her, has tidied up the packets. I'm guessing it's time I started a bit of thinning out. That tray on the left is looking rather congested.

My new greenhouse arrived and is currently still in its box waiting for me to to put it together. That's another job I'm keen to get on with. When that's up and running I can move my seed trays out of the kitchen. I can also put my fledgling tree into the new pot I bought and put it all away for safe keeping. I will take photos once everything is in place.

Less gardening time often means more thinking time. My recent thoughts have been about this area here:

image.jpeg

My apologise for using an old and out of date photo. I really must try and get an up to date one. I have a tree that will hopefully go in the space at the back once it's strong enough to plant. I was thinking of something like Achillea summer wine to add a bit of height and colour behind the water feature. Ideally I would like to have brought the water feature out to the middle but as it's hard wired in, that's not an option. At the moment I am having trouble with the water feature tripping the power supply. It was working fine before so I am hoping it's something simple like a clogged filter.

I was thinking of the plants I already had stowed away. I have a poker which might sit somewhere just in front of where the lizard is in the photo. I have 2 conveniently split totally tangerines. I thought I could put them separated in front of the water feature. A sort of 10 o'clock 2 o'clock sort of design.

I was wondering whether something like sedum acre would work as a filler between and around these plants. It would be evergreen for winter interest and the yellow flowers would be bright and contrast nicely. Would this idea work or would that be too congested?

G.

• Like Like x 4
                                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.