1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2017

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by wiseowl, Oct 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,460
    A lot of my neighbours rarely bother with compost heaps :noidea: and take their green waste down to the dump - a 14 mile round trip! Not very environmentally friendly. :nonofinger:

We have four compost heap like this

P1110758.JPG

P1050108.JPG

Have a bonfire like this about once a month - the ash gets put into the compost and spread on the garden
    P1220189.JPG

And we have two wheelie bins of green waste every week. The bins take the nasty weeds and things we don't, or can't, recycle in the garden. I had to apply for a licence for the second wheelie bin and have an environmental officer inspect our recycling facilities and fill in a two page questionnaire before they decided to let us have it. Three bins are not allowed.

We had a bonfire last week but expect to need one again this week if the weather lets us prune the fruit trees. We keep some of the prunings for our wildlife areas. We have an award for a wildlife friendly garden but do not have hedgehogs (but I still prod, poke and shake the bonfire heap for a while before lighting it). We get the occasional mouse come out and, one time, a whole family of rabbits (they didn't come out until I set fire to it and then it was like a cartoon with them shooting out in all directions).

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.