What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,250
    Thursday evening was a nightmare.

I'd been doing a bit of dead heading of the roses in the garden and was about to come indoors around 8.00pm. when I decided to change the water in our Marinelli fountain. Easily done, I just put a bucket under it and pulled out the drain plug. Then filled it up.
    I then decided to check that it was working. We don't have it on that often. I can overide the switch for it in the lounge by plugging the supply into a spare socket in the garage.

I turned it on, everything in the garage tripped out. Tried it again, same thing happened. I removed the fountain's mains plug and re-set the RCCB and everything else came on again.

Fortunately, I've a fairly sophisticated RCCB that protects everything in the garage, shed, formerly all the old pool systems, tea-house, all the garden lighting, the jukeboxes, plus two freezers. Not one of those that just plugs into a mains socket.

[​IMG]

The fountain sits on top what was the former koi pool pump sump on a round concrete stepping stone.

I had my suspicions, so I decided to try to sort it out as heavy rain was expected on Friday.

So I dragged all 71kilos of the fountain off the stepping stone on which it sits and took a lump hammer and a bolster chisel to the mortar plinth below it to free up the stepping stone.

As I suspected, the sump was full of water, to the level it would have been when the pool was working.

This is what it looked like, when we had the pool. This holds 40 gallons. You can see the mains supply that connects to the pumps via waterproof connectors, though they were never immersed, just got a bit damp.

There was as much water as this in it, with the 13amp socket and transformer completely under it!

[​IMG]

When I installed the fountain, I blocked off the outlets to the filter, the waterfall and the overflow drain. The sump is connected to the former pool's bottom drain, by a 4" pipe. I drilled several one inch holes through the sand and cement base of the pool and one through the bottom drain, so when the pool was filled in and paved, the water would be able to drain away. It's worked well for a few months, there's never been any surface water on the new paved area.

I'd retained the mains supply to the pumps which were in the sump, disconnected one in the garage and connected the other one to a 13 amp socket, which I screwed to the top of the sump under the rim, into which I plugged the fountain transformer which I situated next to it. The low voltage supply coming up through a hole in the stepping stone.

So I got my wet n' dry vac out and pumped out the water. I then saw that the water was still coming in through one of the holes I drilled in the side of the sump where I'd attached the socket. I must have drilled through the plastic wall of the sump and the encasing concrete into the bare earth. So I blocked it up and the other screw holes with mastic.

The fountain is designed for the low voltage cable to enter under the fountain through a groove in its base and I'd drilled a 1" hole through the stepping stone to accommodate it.

I decided I wasn't going to risk putting mains electricity into the sump again, although it had worked perfectly well supplying the two pumps it contained for thirty-odd years.

I screwed the transformer onto the garage wall, it sits neatly above another transformer that supplies the low voltage for one of the two Blagdon spotlights. It's now connected to the old wiring to the sump.

That's a "freebee" radio cassette player, I was given by a supplier. I've had it for about 25 years, it's designed to look like a 1947 Wurlitzer 1015 jukebox. "Not a lot of people know that."

[​IMG]

I drilled a 1" hole in the centre of the stepping stone and pulled the cable through and connect up the pump and its LED lights.
    The connector now sits in the tiny recess under the fountain base. I then replaced the stepping stone and dragged the fountain back onto it, filled it up, turned it on and it's working again. It took me until 9.30pm.

Although, not a pretty sight.

[​IMG]

This new low voltage supply from the garage was how I was going to do it when I bought the fountain, but when I had a conversation with the supplier, before I bought it unseen, when I had no idea what sort of transformer etc., came with it, I was told any alterations would invalidate the guarantee.
    But now I don't care. It's working fine.

Fortunately the transformer is completely sealed so no water got into it.
    It doesn't really matter if the sump fills again.

What I think happened is that the ground water has been rising, it's probably come up partly through the 4" pipe and through the side of the sump through the screw hole. The 20 tons of compacted hardcore in the pool probably offered more resistance so the paving stayed dry.

I checked out the sump this morning by putting a cane down the redundant hole in the plinth and it came out dry.

I've made a start on the new plinth. I had to wedge up the stepping stone with a couple of bits of York stone to get it perfectly level again, before I forced the mortar between the rim of the sump and the stepping stone.

[​IMG]

I've still to finish "tarting it up" but that will have to wait until the cement has dried off tomorrow. I've still got to mix up some more mortar coloured with some mahogany and black paint and brush it on to match the fountain.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
      Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    • Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
      Ratings:
      +4,250
      Job done!

It's hard to match colours exactly with just a mixture of two colours of paint with sand and cement. It's a bit darker than the original at the moment, but will dry lighter, so I'm quite happy.

I checked the sump again with a bamboo cane down the redundant hole and it still came up dry.
      Gave the ground cover plants a bit of a brush and a water so they'll soon recover.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
      • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +903
        I bet you have some nice carp in that pond, reminds me to get my angling gear setup.

• Like Like x 2
        • Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
          Ratings:
          +4,250
          I only had a few, though they were all quite big, three around two feet in length. They went to a good home early this year when I closed down the pool due to a serious leak. It was easier to fill it in than replace the liner.

• Like Like x 5
            Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
          • Liz the pot

Ratings:
            +903
            6B67AA29-46CD-46A9-9C2E-F1EBA8B34BB6.jpeg493FB68B-536F-462D-AE6E-37602DE0509A.jpegA0E7C748-B2CD-4F62-82D7-79AFB1D19738.jpegB9FAE0B5-877F-41E9-939C-30E5FB082AD2.jpegA7A1843D-FB8A-443A-B3B5-0C3FDE083A60.jpeg

That looks great, I had a pond here at home but my old Newfoundland had a habit of jumping in the pond so I had to fill it in.
            I have another larger pond that’s got tench, carp, perch, roach and some chub. No harm in my old Newfie having a swim which he loved.
            I’ve gone from a 70kg bear to a crazy Tibetan whose 8.5kg and yet she loves water too!

• Like Like x 8
            • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
              +85,101
              Mainly little jobs to keep things in order. I moved two large heavy pots, using a Porter's Trolley, to new positions on the patio, and then moved an Acacia in another large pot [that Pete gave me at last years Shineyland Open Day to a new position against the South facing Kitchen outer wall.. Three newly bought "Black Magic Agapanthus needed potting up which was easily done, follwed by potting on several of my Cacti, which are also on a long wooden topped table against the South facing kitchen wall, into bigger pots. The Bearded Iris in large pots also needed weeding so that kept me busy for a good while as there are well over 50 of them on a two tiered. 20' long bench I made last year which is placed the South facing Garage wall. Now it's time for that Mug of Tea.:coffee::) I'm expecting 3 "Domino Noir" Bearded Iris being delivered tomorrow so that's something to look forward to.:hapydancsmil::hapfeet::heehee:

• Like Like x 9
              • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                +16,613
                Been busy ARMANDII.....keeps you out of mischief :rasp:

• Like Like x 5
                • lolimac

lolimac Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,771
                  Dead heading ,watering,sweeping...my old Dad always said one of the best tools in the garden is a broom and so underated ..

• Like Like x 6
                  • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +85,101
                    Not as busy as I would like, Verdum:dunno::heehee: Getting down on the floor is easier that getting up which has all the traits of a major effort these days, and I have to be careful not to get myself into pain which is also easily done:wallbanging::old::dunno::heehee: I find all these little, but important, jobs to do while sitting on the patio with that all important Mug of Tea, and they not only keep me busy but also keep my mind, with effort, above the Village Idiot level.:heehee:

• Friendly Friendly x 4
                    • Like Like x 2
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +85,101
                      Your Dad was right, loli:love30::thumbsup: I have about 3 stiff bristled brushes around the garden, but I confess I now use a Blower, as it's less effort, and then sweep the debris into a large sack which gets emptied on the compost heap. I have found though that the new patio seems to attract more leaves and debris than the old one did...........or maybe it's my imagination:dunno::heehee:

• Like Like x 4
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
                        Ratings:
                        +5,006
                        Too tired yesterday due to three days with not enough sleep to do much arty stuff so decided I would spend some time in the garden. I did make several Fat Rabbit items ( which I'm really pleased with ) in the morning. Then set up one of my free compost bins. I had to drag two large pots out first and remove some turf before siting to bin. Also lined the area with some spent compost from the pots and cut back some long grass. Rest of compost is dumped in front garden until I figure out where to put it. Put the first layer into the compost bin. Moved my fuschia a few feet from it's original position to give a better view into the garden from the conservatory. It's grown really big this year. Had a look at the pond and removed more blanket weed. Decided too tired for removing remaining pond plants and repotting and tidying up pond in general. Had a walk on the beach instead. Strong winds made me even more tired but still enjoyed the walk. Heavy rain in the evening :yahoo:.

I saw the remaining baby bunny yesterday morning. He/she has grown :). Very sadly one of the robins has a damaged/ broken foot :sad:. Was hobbling on it for a few days but not able to walk at all. I tried to catch it but he can still fly.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                        • Like Like x 2
                        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                          Ratings:
                          +69,534
                          As I'm not feeling on top form at the moment (a cold and a migraine :noidea:) I didn't do much yesterday but managed some weeding in the bed where our red flowered Hamamelis (a gift from @ARMANDII :thumbsup:) has pride of place. :)

• Like Like x 5
                          • Friendly Friendly x 2
                          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                            +85,101
                            My delivery of 3 "Domino Noir" Bearded Iris arrived today so I'll need to get some large pots to put them in:hapydancsmil:

upload_2019-7-22_13-10-18.jpeg

They also added a free, bonus, Iris (Grand Admiral) which is a nice and appreciated surprise:love30::)

[​IMG]

So I'll need an extra pot.:heehee:

• Like Like x 8
                            • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Full time-Service Director -Human Services.
                              Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
                              Ratings:
                              +7,732
                              So hot, my back up pores are leaking. just clipped lots of spent hosta stalks. pruning some shrubs and magnolia. then back in the air conditioning.

• Like Like x 4
                              • Friendly Friendly x 2
                              • Liz the pot

Ratings:
                                +903
                                2 lawns, both slope work cut and I’ve just finished working for a lady near me who who’s garden is overgrown. Half way through I got terrible cramps in my legs and I thought what a silly billy I am pushing myself.
                                Just had a refreshing dip in cold water, ahhh it’s lovely. Job cancelled for Wednesday and with some luck I’ll be able to beat the heat for the rest of the week.

• Like Like x 7