1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Done in today, pulled my back on the last job, typical so it’s pain killers to keep me going again. I seem to live on them, knees, back, hands, I hate getting old!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,890
      Hi @CanadianLori , why not get them to lesve the stump at just a little lower than the fence height and grow a climber up it. Then they won't have to disturb any of your plants/plantimg.

• Like Like x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Glorious since noon ....hot and sunny :SUNsmile: yesterday’s rain....what rain?:hapfeet:

Message to say plants ordered yesterday online have been despatched and will arrive tomorrow...always exciting :) For sure, the best way to buy plants esp those not quite so common :)

Grabbed a bowl or two of tomatoes as well as carrots, spring onions, lettuce, beetroot and radishes. Apart from some watering later this is all the gardening work I will do today.:) Out with a cuppa though deciding on possible changes for next year.....one resolution is to grow less in pots and try to get more of them into the garden. Despite a fairly large garden I must have 50 plus plants in containers that will do much better planted out :)

• Like Like x 6
        • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +9,233
          Stupid me did some more grunt work this afternoon. 2nd compost bay now emptied into 3rd bay, with some fresh-ish stuff from 1st bay added in layers.

So, now have a full 3rd bay, an empty 2nd bay, and a 1/2 full first bay.

Guess what I’m doing tomorrow? (Back permitting!)

• Like Like x 3
          • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +8,484
            Looks like its one of them weeks :gaah: absolutely drowned again , when it rains its bouncing it down its looks like hail.

I think it were you @Verdun on about scented phlox earlier ? I have once called Monica Lynden Bell which is highly scented.

What plants have you got Verdun ? I've orderd my Cannas yesterday - australia - Herman and shenandoah

• Like Like x 3
              Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
            • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
              Ratings:
              +30,605
              @KFF that is an excellent suggestion but I think I want it cut down to about 12 inches. I have one of those brolly clothes lines and I think I want to make a spike for it, drill a hole in the stump for the spike and then I can easily place the line on the spike and remove it between drying times. Also maybe have a nice pot to sit on the stump in between laundry days.

So far all I've done today is buy another watering can and then put plant food in the fertilizer injector so that all of the pots and raised beds get fed.

I think I'll go out about a 1/2 hour before the tree guy come and start bunching up the plants a bit with fleecy row cover. If I lose some, well, so be it. I'll just be glad to see the tree gone. I hate seeing something suffering. It reminds me of a person with really bad alopecia!

• Like Like x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 2
              • Verdun

Ratings:
                +17,487
                Perki, I used to grow several phlox ....Lavendar Cloud rings a bell as well as a strong growing pink that was kindly donated to me. The un named pink, the white David and Miss Mary are the only varieties I grow right now.
                Thanks for recommending Monica Lynden Bell....sounds good. I will seek it out.:)

The cannas! Saladin, Durban, Pretoria, Tropicana Black and Tropicana Gold are what I currently have. However, several clumps of most of them around the garden. Another one or two, maybe those you have ordered to add in the autumn. Tempted by the dwarf “happy” varieties but I like big bold cannas :)

You may like spigelias. Hardy here they make me smile ....red flowers with yellow tops like a court jester, hence Wisley Jester the variety I have. It’s been in flower since spring and only now beginning to flower less. :)

• Like Like x 2
                • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                  Ratings:
                  +44,415
                  Sorry that you've pulled your back and hope that it's better soon. :smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                    +100,836
                    I ambled around the garden today doing some deadheading of the roses and whatever else needed it. After that I put some string and a sharp knife, scissors, and Pruners in my pocket and started sorting out the roses and honeysuckle on the Arbour which needed tying and training up. I found a rambling rose stem about 10' long that was winding it's way through the nearby shrubs and pruned it back as far as I could, while making a note to find the rose base and dig it out. Near the Abour is the deliberately wild part of the garden and it's marked by a Leycesteria Formosa, which along with the rest of the plants of the garden, this year, has trebled in size and it's looking really happy even though I found some Bindweed among it. After removing the Bindweed I had to put some thick, long canes in the ground to tie back the Leycesteria so that it wasn't bullying other plants near by. I love the Leycesteria with it's exotic looking long bracts hanging down and it always makes me smile when I see it. It's actually been grown from a cutting from a client's grounds about 25 years ago.........I can't remember if I asked for permission before taking the cutting:oopss:, but I'm glad I did take it as it is now truly magnificent:love30:, and there's nothing like a free plant that pays you back over the years. I finished off the day by feeding the roses, Tree Fern and pots of Echinacea, Monarda and Iris.....followed by the inevitable Mug of Tea.:coffee::)

• Like Like x 5
                      Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
                    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +52,494
                      @RobB and @Verdun the dialects in the south west are very similar to those in the far east - no not that far east - but Harwich and Dovercourt in Essex. This is the real Essex accent not the London accent which has drifted throughout Essex. :) There's an assortment up here in the Highlands too, some of which are so strong I haven't a hope of understanding them. :doh:

I don't know whether you and other members are aware but if you click on a members location it will 'normally' :biggrin: show you a map of the area and a box that gives you pictures of the area etc.

• Like Like x 3
                      • Informative Informative x 3
                        Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
                      • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                        Ratings:
                        +44,415
                        Thanks for that @Sheal I didn't know that.

• Like Like x 2
                        • Agree Agree x 2
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +1,259
                          Just collected my companions little dog as she’s out to London today. Got there to find her Quince which is grown up against her wall had collapsed and dropped forward.
                          Discovered the chap that originally done her garden had tried to nail into cement and got about 5mm in. He was a right cowboy, he planted shrubs in a thin layer of soil on top of concrete bases, measured a pergola round her small patio not taking into account it’s raised so you banged your head when you stepped on the patio, made a mess of the lawn and did some pretty awful brick work.theres more but I asked how much did he charge and it was 13k!
                          Ordered the parts I need to correct this bodge job. I do wish she would let me loose on the borders as his idea of plants are boring.

• Like Like x 4
                          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                            Ratings:
                            +118,227
                            Now you're talking my language! :dbgrtmb:

Somewhere in our old family album I've got photos of us in the 1940's on holiday at Dovercourt Bay Warner's Holiday Camp :old: :heehee:. They used the site for 'Hi De Hi'. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 4
                            • Agree Agree x 1
                            • Informative Informative x 1
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • Verdun

Ratings:
                              +17,487
                              I’ve seen some poor quality workmanship by so called expert landscapers and gardeners. It seems an unemployed guy, for example, can declare himself a gardener or landscaper. Came across an old lady who had her garden “landscaped” with hundreds of plants put in. Soil was simply scooped out and plants placed and were soon dying; to say paving was loose is an understatement. Forget what she paid but it was a small fortune and for what?? :sad:

Glorious morning ....not a cloud in the sky right now.:SUNsmile:

Plants arriving today ......by mail order. Lettuce grown on will be planted out later. Some other-than-gardening things to do this morning though.:)

• Like Like x 5
                              • RobB

RobB Gardener

Ratings:
                                +231
                                Sheal, I know you are right there, family near Colchester, right Country Bumpkins(am I allowed to say that:scratch:)
                                Shiney, Had a static in Dovercourt until some scroats broke in and took all our stuff.
                                It's reassuring that you appreciate a proper dialect, I get some questioning looks from the locals down here when I use some slang, they should be used to it after 27 years.
                                Back to the thread..................today I'm going to sit in the sunny garden and admire my green tomatoes and chillies and wait for the DFBs to flower:yahoo:

• Like Like x 7
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.