1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,342
    We tend to mainly have Bowles Mauve in the garden and they do flower for twelve months of the year if you let them. We tend to prune them back in July as they get straggly by then and they are back to good flowering in September.

They're a very good seller at our open garden and are one of the first things to be sold out. Having them in flower when we open the garden makes them an easy seller.

IMG_0689.JPG

P1390507.JPG

The other variety that's popular is Stars and Stripes, with the variegated leaves and two tone flowers. Another good seller is Euphorbia Ascot Rainbow (behind the Stars and Stripes)
    P1390524.JPG

All three of them can get straggly if you're not careful.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
      Ratings:
      +54,373
      Sadly that's what happened to ours when we had them....totally our fault! Cuttings were easy to take. I wasn't good at cutting back plants then... but not now!!! I'm totally opposite now and once I start I can't stop....so plants beware!!!:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Ian Taylor

Ian Taylor Total Gardener

Maintenance Manager, Oddfellows on the Park.
        Ratings:
        +2,751
        Hopefully if it stops raining, I'm going to refit a new pond net over my pond that I relined last week after my Labrador decided him was going to go for a swim in it and plant a few lavender plants I got from Lidl.

• Like Like x 5
        • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +9,233
          Oops!
          Actually, I’m glad it’s not just my mad LH Weimaraner! We have had a half whisky barrel water feature for many years. When Izzy was a leggy teenage dog, I would frequently find her with her front legs in the barrel, hind legs out, as she tried to catch the goldfish... We ended up putting a piece of wire fencing (the soldered, grid type, rather than the chain link)in the barrel, just below the water surface! I can probably take it out now, as she’s a rather stiff 12 year old, but the plants have all grown through it...

• Like Like x 7
          • Ian Taylor

Ian Taylor Total Gardener

Maintenance Manager, Oddfellows on the Park.
            Ratings:
            +2,751
            I'm afraid my Labradors are still only young my female is nearly 3 and my boy is only 19 months but weighs 40 kgs, wouldn't be with out the pair of them

• Like Like x 5
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
              Ratings:
              +21,267
              Just dug over the area where the onions had been growing, probably stick some green manure seed in in the next day or so.

• Like Like x 7
              • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
                +7,635
                Waded in, shood away the seals and penguins splashing in the waves and tried to avoid harming dolphins. Well, nearly. It has been raining very seriously for two weeks now, and everything is soaked, apart from containers. I have been feeling rather silly lately watering the containers in the pouring rain, but the rain doesn't reach the compost of large plants. Hopefully the neighbours have been entertained :heehee:

Anyways, the surviving Gladioli and Dahlia blooms have now been supported, large scale dead heading done, and if the weather stays as decent as this, I can cut the grass tomorrow. Dodging the whales obviously. :biggrin:

On a positive note, the cuttings I took two weeks ago seem to be doing very well, the fleabanes and geraniums are definitely growing and even the shrubby bits are sort of perky. Hopefully my friend will have something to plant in come September. The 10p packet of white foxglove seeds sown as an afterthought last week has germinated so I may have a hundred or so foxgloves to deal with soon. Seen that I have room for perhaps three plants, some planning would have been a good idea before chucking the seeds in. :doh:Well, it's so late in the season that most are likely to perish over the winter :noidea:

• Like Like x 7
                • Funny Funny x 2
                • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  Having been imprisoned in the House for the last couple of days due to the wet weather I took advantage of today's blue skies, warm breeze to wander out into the garden with my trusty Secateurs, scissors, and string. I found one of the 10' high Mallows had decided to lean towards the North despite my putting in extra support with canes and string, so I had to move the canes to pull the Mallow back to get it straight again. The trouble is that the Mallows have grown so heavy with thick stems and flowers that it only takes a strong breeze to make them lean again.
                  Dead heading of the roses was needed, but it's a job I tend to like and get absorbed in.......having said that its always the one spent flower right in front of my nose that I miss:dunno::heehee:
                  Some stems of White Phlox had fallen onto the lawn so I hid a cane among the clump and tied back the offending stems. I took a walk down to the Wild Life pond and realised I would have to cut back the Ivy that coats the South facing back fence because it is now around 12' high and causing too much shade. The Jasmine and Clematis hedge that lines the North side of the Pond is badly in need of a good cut back.......but that's a another day job!! Also the around 12 Climbing roses that line the West Bank of the pond have reached a height of around 15' and also needs reducing in height and thinning out...........I have to wear thick clothing and gloves for that and it will take a couple of hours just for that specific job.:dunno:
                  I mowed the lawn 4 days ago before it was forecast to rain and now the grass is a good 4" high so hopefully, if it stays dry over the next couple of days, I will get the Mower and Strimmer out and sort it out. One of the Clematis on the Trellis Entrance has gone mad with literally over a hundred blooms spread over the entrance.........don't ask me the name as it was planted decades ago.
                  The three Hedgehogs have been ambling around happily, ignoring Me and Jenny the Cat, and loving the fact that the wet weather has brought out a harvest of Slugs and Snails, so they're fine and dandy. The Patio, despite the strong breezes, needs clearing of all the leaves and debris on it, so I'll get the Blower out and blow it all into the next door neighbours garden.:dunno::heehee::heehee::heehee:

• Like Like x 8
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
                  • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
                    +12,320
                    @ARMANDII my monarda only last a couple of years the voles eat the roots over winter

• Informative Informative x 4
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      The "gone mad" Clematis on the Trellis Entrance......
                      upload_2019-8-17_15-14-27.png

• Like Like x 9
                      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                        +100,836
                        Well, at least the Voles are happy, Spruce.:dunno::heehee: A friend of mine in Rutland has a Burmese Cat that continually brings Voles and Moles into the House as a "gift".:hate-shocked: He has to go back into the fields next to the garden and return them as the Cat doesn't harm them but loves catching them:coffee:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                        • Funny Funny x 1
                        • andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
                          Ratings:
                          +2,369
                          Started off wet and miserable here so I spent the morning potting stuff on in the polytunnel. Removed a couple of courgettes from the tunnel. They didn't perform well. I don't think they liked being in tubs.

Brightened up later so a load of echiums planted out and the grass cut, along with a bit of weeding.

• Like Like x 3
                          • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                            Ratings:
                            +10,944
                            Been lovely and sunny, but windy today. Mr snorky cut the front and back grass whilst I did a big dead heading session. Also cut back loads of lavender-got a big bucket full now in the shed. Also cleared some weed and fairy moss out the little pond. Planted up an old broken plant pot with more sempervivums etc. to make a nice little display. Also given the garden pots a good kelching.

Just caught the golden glow of the sun setting before grey clouds ruined it.
                            B0DEC225-07B6-488E-9802-FD08C047C90C.jpeg

• Like Like x 10
                              Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
                            • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
                              +7,635
                              Ended up trimming the street facing side of the front hedges, which is always a job to draw all the neighbourhood around. This time I only got one "you won't have to worry about bingo wings Dear", one "Why won't you buy an electric trimmer for that" (quickly counteracted by me asking if I look like a person who could be trusted with power tools), and one notification that the strong winds don't help with my sweeping. I disagreed as half of my trimmings were on their way towards the Norwegian cost by the time I had my broom out. :biggrin:

A delightful day out in the garden after weeks of rain.

• Like Like x 3
                              • Funny Funny x 3
                              • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
                                +5,414
                              Thread Status:
                              Not open for further replies.