1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Taking shape there Kon :)

Everyone’s been busy in their gardens it seems....just back to see what I can tinker with out there. Need to pick beans I notice. A few late salvias making a good show....e.g. Amante (given to me earlier this year as a small plant so usually should flower earlier)
    uliginosa , Leucanthe, (although been flowering for a while they are now looking at their best) and Waverley

Need to find places for C. Octopus, Alstromeria Rock n Roll and Phlox Goldmine .....none of them exactly shy retiring types either ! Need to go with plants to complement not compete with them? Not a “dumper” plantsman.....everything has to go in their “perfect” spot :noidea:

Met a truly inspiring old lady today who was going through chemotherapy. Prob won’t ever forget her. Wonderful chance meeting:)

• Like Like x 4
      Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
      Ratings:
      +10,971
      Scorcher here today. Haven't finished off the outside border as too hot to be shovelling wood chippings.

This morning instead, I've been taking more cuttings. I've split some trailing plants that had rooted themselves laterally so have some extra plants. Some of the penstemon I took cuttings from a couple of weeks ago have already started growing! The garrya elliptica on the other hand has been very difficult to root. Keeping fingers crossed on one last bit hoping it doesn't rot or dry out. The lavender cuttings I did went mouldy grrr.

Dead headed the front garden and gave it a good watering early today in anticipation of this heat.

Also went round to my neighbours and watered all her pots and did some dead heading whilst she is away....and snaffled a couple of cuttings from a couple of shrubs and trailing plants. he he.

• Like Like x 6
      • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,288
        Oof, boiling here so haven't done much, just potted Salvia 'Blue Marvel' and deadheaded everything. Day for working at the allotment late this afternoon I think, just too hot now! Lots of butterflies here today, many Red Admirals and Painted Ladies, and the smallest Comma I've ever seen! First one this year. Second Brimstone of the year, not many of these about, usually get quite a few of 'em. Certainly plenty of bees around the Sedum spectabile!

Nick

• Like Like x 6
        • lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,988
          Watering,deadheading,sweeping and general tittivating and putting markers on plants that need dividing but that was early this morning got way too warm after that.:phew:

• Like Like x 6
          • Verdun

Ratings:
            +17,487
            Ditto the scorching weather.....wonderful :SUNsmile: Even hotter to come :SUNsmile::SUNsmile:
            Deadheading again. Tomatoes and beans picked again :)
            Front lawn will have sprinkler on it later

• Like Like x 5
            • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +23,089
              They do have a degree of hardiness in the right spot (ie; sheltered) in the right part of the country once established. I agree that it is probably a little late to be planting out small greenhouse grown Anigozanthos unless they're in the Scilly or Channel Isles.

• Like Like x 2
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                Ratings:
                +30,615
                Only watered and weeded the hillbilly side of the lawn. They never weed or sray for weeds... imagine the jungle.

Already thinking about procrastinating on a few jobs but I know time is running out.

After Sept 4th I won't be able to do much gardening for a month. And Since the one tree that had to removed kept one corner very shady and now it is full sun, I have to move some ferns and also some other plants that hve been in that spot for over 8 years. Not looking forward to the digging.

I find it hard to believe tnat it is a few month for the little incisions they use for cataract removal to heal. I believe after week 2 or so, I may be safe to use long handled tools.

• Like Like x 4
                • Friendly Friendly x 4
                • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                  Ratings:
                  +89,866
                  Good morning not so much a gardening job but its in the garden:heehee:,I have to make a frame and stretch a net over it for the pond:smile:

• Like Like x 6
                  • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +5,414
                    Often my first job on a Saturday morning is lawn mowing. I would prefer to do it on a Friday evening as it is a time consuming job but for one reason or another that never seems to happen.

In my garden, the sun comes around mid morning. Picking up dog poo and subsequently mowing the lawn is a job I try to do while it still relatively cool. This morning I found that the mower was struggling. I deduced that the grass was too damp. I now have a part mowed lawn. I will try the other half a bit later in the day.

From now on I think I need to mow in the evenings rather than the mornings just to be on the safe side.

The other problem now is, it's now too hot in my garden to do anything else. I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get stuck into something. Anything I can achieve will be a plus.

G.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                    • Like Like x 2
                    • Verdun

Ratings:
                      +17,487
                      Brush or rake the grass before mowing Gary.....grass dries much more quickly then. Also it lifts the grass for better cutting :)

• Agree Agree x 2
                      • Friendly Friendly x 2
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +5,414
                        received_495295994376059.jpeg
                        I planted my santolina chamaecyparissus out into the front garden. This had never been my intention but the plants had been kicking around in pots for a couple of years or more and they were getting in the way. I was out there tidying up and I though "aha". Now they are no longer in the way. Whether they grow or not is another matter.

G.

• Like Like x 6
                        • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +9,233
                          Just a little pottering in Mum’s garden today.

So I tied in 4 tomato plants. Two had not even been tied to the canes that were put in when they were planted late June. They have grown multi-stemmed, and then flopped all over the place. So I cut out all the side-shoots, and kept three stems per plant, as it was hard to discern which was the main stem. The other two I planted mid June, tying them in as far as I could, and removing all signs of sideshoots. So they were much quicker and easier to do.
                          Also watered my box of plants from Secret Garden, before putting them,back into semi-shade. Below the patio table.
                          Pruned back the flower spikes of some lambs ears, and put all the prunings on the compost.

Then it was off out for lunch!

• Like Like x 7
                          • Verdun

Ratings:
                            +17,487
                            Cut lawns but it’s bloomin’ hot :firesun:

Neighbour popped in to ostensibly say hello but walked off with some free plants incl a few runner beans :noidea::) Got to admire her cheeek.....and her cake making :yay:

The cricket is depressing so I’ve given up watching the English team’s direness. :)

• Like Like x 4
                            • Friendly Friendly x 2
                            • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                              +100,836
                              With the temperature at 83f I decided to leave any gardening until the evening, when I'll feed all the large pots, the roses, the roses and Honeysuckle on either side of the Arbour, and the Clematis, Roses, and Sweetpeas that grow on either side of the Trellis entrance. So I decide to amble down to the Wild Life Pond to see what needed sorting out
                              This is what leads you to the pond
                              upload_2019-8-24_17-17-51.png

upload_2019-8-24_17-19-1.png

upload_2019-8-24_17-19-57.png

This Jasmine and Clematis fence is roughly 25' long and on this side of the pond gets to around 5' high and 3' or more thick. The pond is about 2' lower than the bottom of the hedge so, from the pond side, the hedge is around 7' tall and provides a little sancturary of peace where you can sit unobserved from the garden. On the South fence running along the width of the garden is Ivy that is, from the pond side, about 12' high and about 3'thick, running the 95' length of the back fence.
                              upload_2019-8-24_17-21-6.png

upload_2019-8-24_17-22-10.png

On the other other side of the back fence is a small, narrow Back Lane which is actually 3' lower than the bottom of the fence making the Ivy from that side around 15' in height.
                              It didn't take long, even to my addled brain, that the job
                              of reducing it to around 8' from the pond side is beyond me so I will need help:old:. Luckily, a friend of mine is the local Professional Gardener who does garden maintenance for some of my neighbours so I will ask him if he wants the job. If not he knows other people who will. The job will have to be done, for ease and convenience from the Back Lane, but I'm not in a hurry to get it done so I'll wait for him to turn up to maintain my neighbours gardens.........I'll have to go on the street corner again with my Banjo, flat cap, and sad eyed Dog to pay for it all.
                              But, tomorrow, I'll don the Chest Waders and get into the pond so that I can tidy up the banks and bog garden from the water side. I suspect getting into the pond will be easier than getting out, so I could be in the pond for a while!!:hate-shocked::dunno::heehee:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 10
                              • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
                                Ratings:
                                +50,894
                                Love it, love it, love it .....

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.