What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Lawn mowing again. Beautiful if slightly breezy day.

Planted tulbaghia violacea divisions in place of ophiopogon N clumps .....ophiopogon will go with one of the hackonechloas later. The tulbaghias make a great contrast to pennisetum Fireworks :)

Deadheaded dahlias, heleniums, salvias, tithonias

Picked salads incl toms and runners. Excellent crop of beans but now coming to an end.....well, I am anxious to cut them down now and mulch the ground so their end suits me! No foliage at all on the tomatoes now......so clean, well ventilated, rapidly ripening fruit :)

• Like Like x 7
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +117,292
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
        Ratings:
        +4,411
        Not a lot to do today, though it still took me three hours. Gave my Motown jukebox in the tea-house a good work-out,whilst I was in the garden, including a few "B sides," it helps keep the mechanism working.
        Pruned the tops of the three quinces along the side fence, tidied up the bamboo along the back fence. Mowed the lawn and pruned off more unwanted wisteria growth.

We ordered a David Austin catalogue and it arrived today. We need to chose five replacement roses for our ceramic pots. Difficult to decide which, so I'll leave it to my wife.

• Like Like x 3
        • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +8,371
          Been deadheading the heleniums and various other plants , pulled quite a few weeds out on my travels around the garden. Picked up for to many plants most on the deck again dahlias lobelias sunflowers and other perennials it getting very frustrating these strong winds with heavy rain, even worse I've ran out of stakes.

Could do to mow the lawn but its to wet it been a rotten summer again :gaah: and its ever increasingly feeling like autumn already here.

• Like Like x 4
          • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +9,230
            This morning I just had a potter around, emptying weeding trugs, and kitchen compost bins and the like. Then I decided it was time to harvest some of our chillies, so I got over a 1kg peach punnet (you know, the plastic containers you buy peaches in) full of various chillies.

This afternoon I cut some of the grass, before running out of petrol. Don’t fancy going to the garage just for lawn mower Petrol, so I’ll get some at the weekend.
            A sit by the pond was in order, then I tied in the butternut squash plant. It’s nearly at the top of the bean sticks now, but still the largest squash is only a few cm long. I made a start at hand-cutting the hedge. One metre down, hundreds to go!! Still, you have to start somewhere!

Update edit:
            I have also planted out both of my Leucanthemums (snow lady and silver princess), my gaillardia, the Bertram Anderson and citrioderus Audra thymes, and crocosmia. All now watered in, the pond topped up, and the veg bed and pots watered...

• Like Like x 6
              Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
            • Verdun

Ratings:
              +17,486
              Not too bad a day weather wise......took Nico for a swim earlier. Water was pretty warm and, different to the forecast, it was dry. So far just drizzle since then but already it’s looking brighter :)

Can’t keep denying it....yep, it is autumn now :sad:

Looked in on a nursery with a view to be tempted .....however, I realised I have better plants in pots here so paid not a penny :) What is it about us gardeners...well, me anyway,.....needing to buy more plants on impulse??

• Like Like x 4
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,288
                Autumn starts on the equinox, September 23rd. My calendar agrees with me and so should everyone else. It's Summer, Summer I tell you, sir! :smile:

Can't relate Verdun, I never do that! :whistle:

Digging out Choisya ternata and Veronica spicata to move to allotment. Soil is more clay rather than heavy clay there and loads of sun compared to my back garden, which has many "part shade" areas. They should both thrive there with a little added drainage! :)

Nick

• Like Like x 3
                  Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
                • Verdun

Ratings:
                  +17,486
                  Theoretically it is meteorological autumn Nick.....but what the heck! Yes, Sept 23. Summer Time still indeed :rasp:

Yes, Veronica should prefer a heavier soil I think.... better for preventing mildew! Good thinking Nick :)

• Funny Funny x 2
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                    Ratings:
                    +10,846
                    Yesterday i spent the whole day harvesting toms from allotment and greenhouse. And then cleared out the whole greenhouse. This morning i potted on some penstemons that had rooted -into their own individual pots. And then decided to have two stinker migraines and have only just got out of bed.

• Like Like x 3
                    • Friendly Friendly x 2
                    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                      Ratings:
                      +30,478
                      @Snorky85 I cannot imagine having to suffer through those migraines. I'll data stream some resistance to you.

I too emptied out a greenhouse. But not for long. I decided that the shut off for the lines that feed the troughs should be inside and 4 feet up instead of outside. That way I can just stand there and shut them off as soon as I think they're full enough. Then I put everybody back in. That's the Shineyland greenhouse done. Two more to go but since I'm not supposed to do anything much, I figure one a day is concession enough.

I also picked a pile of peppers. Shineybrids and ring of fire. I also see a lot of red habaneros and reapers ready to pick too. Tomorrow...

I think I did kill the peony when I moved it. It is drooping more every day.

I also added more dead stuff to the brown bag that I put out this morning only to realize that Monday was a bank holiday so collection is delayed a day. Tomorrow is the day. So I decided to make the aggro worthwhile and chopped and filled to the brim :)

It surely seems like autumn is coming in a big hurry to me. The highs are barely reaching 70f. It's not too cool to barbecue and I picked up some sausages today to do so and when I got home, it started raining… :doh:

• Like Like x 2
                      • Friendly Friendly x 2
                      • Verdun

Ratings:
                        +17,486
                        CarolineL, I think your peony will be fine next spring. I have moved quite a lot of them and not lost one yet:)

• Like Like x 1
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                          Ratings:
                          +10,846
                          Thanks @CanadianLori Don't worry about your peony. My grandma dug me one of hers up and the first year it wasnt great but this year it was fantastic. It’ll soon recover. X

• Like Like x 2
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
                            Ratings:
                            +6,899
                            Nothing done yesterday, working on commission and other stuff in the morning and then decided to go for a walk in afternoon. We went to Cemlyn and carried on along the part of the walk I found the other day. We were on the coastal path, which took us around the back of Wlyfa power station, through the woods, to a beach and out onto the headlands. Amazing walk, stunning views and, I'm ashamed to say, it's the first time we've done that walk in the 8 years we've lived here.

Day before yesterday I managed a bit of dead heading and cut back several perennials that have finished for the year. I checked one of the :hhog: houses with a view to cleaning it out ready for possible hibernation and it looks as if someone is already in there :). Can't be certain but stuffed some hay in entrance and will check today if disturbed. I've got a :hhog: in care at the moment. He came in two weeks ago, sad story :sad:, hoping for a more positive outcome. Not sure if I will have time today for gardening.

• Like Like x 4
                            • Friendly Friendly x 2
                            • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
                              +9,230
                              The temperature is slowly cooling here, so we are getting highs of 25c, rather than 30c, just a couple of weeks ago.

This means ....

I’ve harvested our first runner beans of the year!!:yay::hapydancsmil::hapfeet:

CAAB0FE3-A5E4-4A75-BDB7-FCB10238CB6D.jpeg

...and there are another three still on the plants.

As hubby proudly pointed out “that’s 0.5 beans per plant”!!

• Like Like x 4
                              • Funny Funny x 2
                              • alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
                                Ratings:
                                +2,618
                                Moving and splitting - I've made a start but the ground is still hard work. I constructed two wigwams for the untidy cream nasturtiums to climb. That little job was fiddly so it's on and off with the gloves.
                                I can't believe the rate the wisteria grows - I'm sure it must be six inches a day. It's had a haircut now and we can see out of the window again.:)
                                Having to made a decision about a white early clematis at the north side of the house which needs a drastic prune. It may be time to say goodbye to it:frown:

Potted up an aquatic plant and sunk it in my little raised pond. The five goldfish are doing well and have got used to me now and aren't afraid to come up for their food while I'm watching.
                                Now it's time for a clean up and a coffee:smile:

• Like Like x 5
                                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.