What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
    Ratings:
    +54,365
    Enjoyed the whole day out in the garden today. Lots of tidying up and leaf sweeping after yesterday's strong winds. Planted out some more Bellis but still have tons of various bulbs to go in at some point. I try to draw up rough plans each year of where I plant bulbs......but somehow they move!!!;)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +8,371
      Thought I were a bit of a allium collector @ARMANDII with about 250. what variety are you growing other than the ones you've mentioned ( silver spring - R.Mohican - Atropurp -Nigrum - P.Rain ) I did fancy Red mohican myself but were unsure how large the flowers are . I've grown Nigrum before which I weren't over impressed with , they disappeared after one season and then one suddenly reappeared about 2years later.

• Like Like x 2
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,834
        Hi Perki, well, here's the list of what I've bought this year........

Forelock
        Summer Drummer
        Red Mohican
        Silver Spring
        Multibulbosum Nigram
        Atropurpureum
        Purple Rain
        Stipitatum Violet Beauty
        Purple Sensation
        Sphaegrocephalon
        Christophii
        Hollanicum Aflatunense
        Abbey Road Collection (no names)
        Nectaroscordum

I also have a weakness for Fritillaria

So I've bought...

Imperialis Lutea
        " " Rubra
        A.Raddeana
        Acmopetala
        Meleagris

I've got some other Alliums bought over the years, names forgotten, so they pop up over the borders.

• Like Like x 3
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,834
          I looked at a lot other varieties, Perki, but most didn't "float my boat"...........maybe next time!!!:dunno::nonofinger:

• Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +8,371
          @ARMANDII I have quite a few of the alliums you've bought - S.Drummer - P.rain - Sphaegrocephalon - purple sensation - Christophii - nigrum maybe . Plus I grown Globemaster one of if not the best huge flowers and long interest ( not trying to tempt you :heehee: ) - Round & Purple - Gladiator - Mount everest - Miami ( surprising good ) and maybe still have Gigantium & White giant but the snails rip them to peices every year so they've been very weakened over the years.

New ones are Ambassbor - caeruleum - stipitatum for next year. I've been looking around and feel my willpower is fragile :help: Beau regard is taking my fancy supposed to be as good as globemaster but more lilac and its on offer from anglia bulbs 3 for £8.50 normally £14-15 for 3.

I have a love hate relationship with fritillaria , I really like them but they not so keen on me / garden . I do have a few though - Lutea - aurora - persica and Ivory towers

• Like Like x 2
          • Cassie

Cassie Gardener

Ratings:
            +201
            Up early today as rain forecast for the afternoon and lots to do!

Potted on chili plants and repotted the finger lime into a nice terracotta pot. Terrible job, as it's so thorny, but done now and looks much better than the faded plastic one it was in before.

Also planted out a few recent acquisitions and some lingering cuttings that really needed to be in the ground. The goal is that by the time the hot weather really kicks in the pot watering will be down to an absolute minimum.

Some of the onions that had bolted in last week's unseasonable heatwave were pulled for eating, which is a happy accident because I need to sneak a few cucumbers in that bed soon.

This is traditionally the weekend for planting out tomatoes in my region, but next week's forecast is not cooperating and I am not happy. I will plant a symbolic tomato tomorrow and save the rest for next weekend.

Now I'm taking a quick coffee and cake break with the other half before sowing some melon, beetroot and cucumber seeds. I love spring but I need ore hours in the day for resting and enjoying the garden!

• Like Like x 8
            • andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
              Ratings:
              +2,369
              I think she sailed home Colin. The rain didn't stop her spending plenty at the show but I guess that why she went - no sense just window shopping

• Like Like x 2
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,834
                Hi Cassie, since we're going into our Winter season it seems quite strange, but very interesting to hear gardening and gardeners where their seasons are nearly opposite to those further North. What kind of vegs and plants do you grow?, what's your soil like?, what sort of temperatures do you have?, how much rain do you get, and what kind of pests do you have to battle with?. I think the rest of the GC Gang would love to hear about your gardening.

• Agree Agree x 2
                • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,834
                  I think the biggest challenge, Perki, when buying Alliums on line or even in a Plant Nursery is the photos of them as they can be a bit misleading and you don't/can't get a real idea of what the colour will be. I have not bought some Alliums because of the fact that there seems to be a lot of blue/purple shades and they do look so alike in the photo's, that and I don't want too much of one colour. So, I've gone for distinctive shapes, heights and colours. There have been a lot I've hesitated to buy like pink colours as I'm not a fan of pink......a cross over from my not having a pink rose in the garden as nearly all gardens seem to have a pink rose in them!:heehee:. So there plenty of Alliums out there that I will go back to and broaden the range in the garden in the next year or two.
                  I also forgot to mention in the "bought list" is the 50 Nectaroscordum bulbs now sitting in 6 cell trays in the "warm room" which I do like for their shape and the fact that they are so attractive to Bees. I gave some to a friend of mine who were fascinated, when they started to grow, by the spear like flower sheath and love it in their garden.
                  As you know it doesn't take much too much to tempt me, Perki:dunno::heehee: So, I'll have a look at them and what source I can get them from, thanks for bringing those into view.:love30:

• Like Like x 2
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +5,890
                    Hi Cassie, it's great to hear from somebody in Australia :)

As @ARMANDII says it would be really interesting to hear more about your garden and gardening styles etc.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                      Ratings:
                      +30,478
                      Nothing outside but I took some time to read an article about underground growing and wish I had seen it when I was visiting London. I would have loved to take the tour.

Home - Growing Underground

• Like Like x 2
                      • Retired

Retired Some people are so poor all they have is money

Retired.
                        Ratings:
                        +5,790
                        Hi,

I agree andrews; what's the point in window shopping; I used to do it 55 years ago walking up Wood Street in Wakefield on the way to college drooling over the brand new engineering lathes on display. Bron doesn't drive but it pleases me to spoil her with lots of retail therapy at every opportunity; no window shopping now just hand over the cash. :)

I've heard of underground growing Lori and seen a bit about it on TV but what about underwater growing which would go down well here in Wet Yorkshire? :biggrin: Yes Blackie's still here doing his thing as normal. 3:31 pm and I need the desk lamp on to see the keyboard; still it will pick up next July for a couple of days assuming we have such a long summer.

No gardening today but I've helped a friend out by repairing his mower; I did the repair a few weeks ago but it failed; it's a control cable that had snapped; I made a new "eye" end for it from steel but having soldered it the cable finally pulled free; no solder this time; I made a new different style fitting from brass; lets see the cable pull clear of this?

Kind regards, Colin.

Mower repair_0001.JPG
                        Here's the new brass connector; I've never seen a Bowden cable with such a fitting previously and browsing the web the cable for this mower appears obsolete.

Mower repair_0002.JPG
                        A poor picture but the grub screw can be seen; this is a 5mm dia grub screw with a long thread that really tightened down; no solder just a mechanical fixing; there's usually more than one way to do a job. Just an interesting repair for me and not difficult; I was disappointed the previous soldered joint failed but I'm confident this one won't fail.

Mower repair_0003.JPG

The steel connector I made for the previous repair and soldered but the solder failed; I should have brazed it. Total cost of repair nothing. :dbgrtmb::yes:

• Like Like x 2
                        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                          +100,834
                          Well, you did, Perki:dunno::heehee: After some searching I've added Allium Cernum, Giganteum, White Giant, and Globemaster to the collection:hate-shocked::wallbanging:.........a lot of the online Plant Nurseries were out of stock of one or more so I had to do a lot of jumping around to find them. Anyway, it's your fault, Perki, for leading me into temptation:doh::dunno::whistle::nonofinger::heehee:

• Funny Funny x 2
                          • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +8,371
                            :heehee: well I am blaming you @ARMANDII I were finished buying bulbs 2 week ago , all this talk of alliums has caused me to buy more alliums :doh::biggrin: where they are going is a mystery :dunno:

I bought earlier this afternoon Beau regard were only getting 3 but ended up with 9 some how :whistle: 3 pinball wizard and trying 10 nigrum again.

Globemaster from last year , they could do with dividing now.
                            DSC00020 (3).JPG
                            Giganteum far right - the flower heads are a lot denser than all other alliums I've grown. I haven't got any pictures of white giant in full flower, I do remember planting WG and Giganteum in the same area to flower at the same time but WG flowered much early than Giganteum .

DSC00008 (7).JPG

Allium Purple Rain front - gladiator ( lilac ) rear and Mount everest
                            DSC00617.JPG

Summer Drummer 20th August flowered well into september.
                            DSC00822.JPG

• Like Like x 5
                            • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
                              Ratings:
                              +4,304
                              Today all I did was start putting some greenhouse staging together. There are a lot of nuts and bolts!
                              Beautiful alliums @Perki. I always loved christophii which used to seed itself all over my garden because the heads went like tumbleweeds everywhere

• Like Like x 2
                              • Friendly Friendly x 1
                              Thread Status:
                              Not open for further replies.