1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
    Ratings:
    +54,373
    Still at my Dad's ,had a really good but busy day in his garden but I have filled both of his garden rubbish bins now. I am waiting for the bins to be emptied but they are very late today and I still have loads of stuff waiting to go in as soon as the bins are emptied, otherwise I am going to have to cover it all as we are in for heavy rain tomorrow.

Some still waiting ...... IMG_20191108_150104_hdr.jpg IMG_20191108_150104_hdr.jpg

• Like Like x 7
      Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +54,373
      Oops double posted for some weird reason!!!:yikes:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Another "last" parcel:heehee: arrived this morning containing 8 Allium Cernum inside a plastic bag held tight by a couple of rubber bands and, surprisingly, in the "green". So, I mixed a bucket full of sand, compost, and potting grit and potted the Allium Cernum into 8 pots. There were also 3 Solomon's Seal sitting in pots that were too small so I took the opportunity to pot them on into larger pots. After that I ambled around the garden checking the 4 Bird Feeders and refilled 3 of them but found that the longest Bird Feeder had got blocked by some wet seed when the dish attached to it flooded. So, at the moment, I've had to take it apart to clear the seed, wash it through and let it dry before I can put it back together, refill it with seed and hang it back up in the garden. I've also put two old fleece, because of a forecast of hard frost tomorrow, over the newly bought Hardy Perennials and Ferns sitting on the Patio waiting to be planted in the Borders after I've planted the Alliums and Fritillaria first.:cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Like Like x 9
        • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +30,607
          I tidied up a bit more in the little greenhouses. Then I went out to get a bigger pot for my Christmas cactus and had a super surprise. Right next to the pots were bags of Allium bulbs! Bought 5 packets of 3. The name on it is Purple sensation. Out I go to quick plant them and water them. :yes:

Then I will be mulching leaves and spreading them over the gardens.

• Like Like x 8
          • Cassie

Cassie Gardener

Ratings:
            +201
            Yay Lori! A lucky find.

I planted out my tomatoes and pumpkins. As usual I have grown extra plants 'just in case' and now I am finding it hard to consign the losers to the compost heap. Have managed to send two off with a friend and will keep the other spares for another week or two in case there are any casualties from a late frost.

The tomatoes look good this year but the pumpkins are a bit sorry and scorched. Fingers crossed at least one or two plants come good.

It was cold but clear and still, quite nice outside with a warm jacket on.

• Like Like x 7
            • lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,984
              Just off outside to make a start..lots to do..make space for the log delivery,clear the mountain of fallen leaves from 'up at the back'..can't do the rest of the garden as too waterlogged:rolleyespink: can pull up some of the Cosmos although they're still in flower,some are 6ft tall but are lolling all over the Buxus and that's a no-no:nonofinger: they were supported but have took a beating with the recent weather.
              'Sort out' the 'Mouses Uncle' I spotted up near my chicken run:paladin: then I'll come in for breakfast.:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 4
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +54,373
                I know it's so sad to pull up plants that are still in bloom isn't it @lolimac :sad: , I cleared all our Cosmos earlier in the week as like yours they were very tall but had sadly taken a good battering in the strong winds of last weekend.

• Like Like x 3
                • Agree Agree x 2
                • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  Too cold and grey today to do anything of consequent in the garden:hate-shocked:. The newly cleaned and put back together long Bird Feeder has been filled with seed again and put back out and then I checked the other 3 Bird Feederss in case they needed refilling. Even with a thick, warm jacket on it felt depressingly cold, I think the dull light has something to do with that, but I had an amble around just making sure everything was okay. This afternoon, armed with a Mug of Tea:coffee: I will sit at the Kitchen Table and make a few more maps of the garden with intended planting places marked out where the new Hardy Perennials and bulbs will be planted. I'll also sort the Alliums I've bought into the individual planting groups made up of mixed varieties. The Giant Alliums will stay together and are destined for the raised centre of the long "Walk around" border, while the others will be sorted into their distinctive groups of shapes and colours that should/might:heehee: go together ready for when the weather decides to turn milder. It's going to take more than a day to plant them all:old: but I'm looking forward to doing it and even more to seeing them flower next year.............and that leaves the 40 or so new Hardy Perennials to be planted!!:heehee: So all the doors are shut, the House is nice and warm, Jenny the cat has pinched the Sofa again, and I'm armed with a Mug of Tea ready to start the planning and making of the maps. But all that planning and anticipation of feeling the first warm day of Spring, seeing the first colour, green shoots poking out of the soil, and growth of the garden, can't help but make you feel excited:hapfeet::hapydancsmil:..........ain't gardening and the friends you make because of it Great!!!:heehee::cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Like Like x 7
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
                    +7,634
                    We had a proper frost last night so the Dahlias finally did what Dahlias in books do- turned black. Usually serious frosts hit so late that I have already dug the Dahlias up in green so that spring bulbs or winter delights can go in.

The Dahlias are now up and drying in the garage, waiting to be boxed for the winter. I dug up Gladioli and other bits and bobs to put in some nice Daffs, planted the Gladioli etc back and was left with perhaps 10 spare Gladioli. Plopped them in the front border just because there's nowhere else. :noidea: "Carefully planned planting scheme", my bum! :heehee:

I had to stop early with my hand throbbing like mad. Somehow I managed to twist my left wrist in my sleep and it's quite sore. Thirty years ago when waking up with a twisted limb I would have thought it must have been a great night, but now it's just a bit puzzling. :scratch:

Anyways, a lovely day to potter about :)

• Like Like x 6
                    • Funny Funny x 3
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      :hate-shocked::whistle::heehee::loll::lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 2
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +4,984
                        As good old Mary Hopkins used to say... Those were the days my friend.:biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 2
                        • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
                          Ratings:
                          +4,325
                          @Cassie I was surprised you mentioned frosts. Then I looked up the climate for Macedon Range and realised you are not much different from UK:rolleyespink:. I assume you have less rain?

• Like Like x 1
                          • Informative Informative x 1
                          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                            +100,836
                            Oh God, loli!!!, that song brings back some very strong, good, happy memories as I was a Chief Tech at HQ Strike Command, High Wycombe, with some very special people in an organisation called Central Trials and Tactic Organisation (CTTO) when the song came out. I was still single and doing what a RAF single man does, enjoying Life and the people I was with, and everyone in the Pubs used to sing that song when it came on:love30:

The lyrics were exactly right for that time in my Life.........those were the days!

• Like Like x 1
                            • Agree Agree x 1
                            • Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
                              +491
                              15733362184550.jpg
                              Dug over all the borders out front to clear the gone-over flowers and more importantly weeds. And a little buddleia and philadelphus which were in the corner and not thriving, I've moved to opposite spots, and sculpted the lawn accordingly so it's no longer just a boring square. Still working out what to fill the borders with now!

• Like Like x 6
                              • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                                Ratings:
                                +30,607
                                @Cassie wouldn't it be cool to live down your way for six months and then up mine the other 1/2 of the year? Gardening year round without the equatorial bugs and other challenges?

Well, I only repotted my Christmas cactus. Being the weekend, off peak electric rates dictate that all vacuuming, baking and other heavy usage activities get squashed into these two days to make the electric bill reasonable.

Besides, it only got up to 34f today.

• Like Like x 5
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.