What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Perki

Perki Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,695
    The sun out with a frost but I've got a list of jobs to do longer than my arm so I'll get motivated and get out there. First job dig out the very large white currant my back aching thinking about it , its being re homed round the back of the shed with the raspberries.

• Like Like x 6
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +72,459
      I suppose that's something different to do round the back of the shed! :whistle: :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
        Ratings:
        +1,491
        Scraped up a load of moss from behind the dogs kennels. Then swept up even more pine flowers? from the pine tree. The tree shades the kennels but it also shades behind the kennels so the moss grows well there.

Put the shelter up around the Butia - polycarb sheets to go on when the weather cools further. Its amazing how wide the trunk of the butia has got over the years, considering this is a slow growing palm.

Back out after a bite to eat to tidy up the tropical area which looks anything but tropical right now.

• Like Like x 4
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +88,014

I'd love to come and help you, Shiney:dunno:......but I'm busy working hard on the most comfortable position on the Sofa.

upload_2019-11-10_13-8-11.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 5
          • Perki

Perki Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,695
            Farmer gracy has free P&p till midnight if anybody interested code - FREE-P&P - , a forum member give me the heads up I might have to have a quick look just incase I've missed some alliums / others :noidea: ;)

• Like Like x 3
            • Perki

Perki Super Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,695
              Its been a reasonable day nice and sunny this morning but with a frost quite warm in the sun but it soon got chilly when I turned cloudy this afternoon .

Done quite a lot of back aching work in one section of the border , removed the large white currant and replanted around the back of the shed after moving all the strawberry plants. Also move the thalictrum anne and potted up - salvia ulignosa was found under the under growth and potted up.

Moved a large heavy delphinium further to the back of the border its makes a huge gap near the front of the border when its cut back for its second flush. Hydrangea limelight moved into the area where the overbearing astilbe were dug out today.

Also moved the Eupatorium to the spot were the white currant was , its was a huge clump far to big to lift in one so chopped in half which were barely movable but I mange .

Dug out the calamagrostis Karl F I am not so keen on it , its to exposed up here and its soon gets battered around removing all the seed heads leaving a ugly straw foliage, thinking of trying a miscanthus instead . Quite a lot of alliums were dug out / chopped in the process mostly summer drummer which don't look big enough to flower again next year but I'll replant and hope , i hope they are not a one season wonder like schubetii .

I've defiantly order the last bulbs of this year now just picked up a few I fancied , some daffs mother duck - camassia sacajawea variegated foliage which is ideal seen as camassia take ages to die back, also picked up some muscari comosum and one allium ambassador bulb so i have a nice odd number of bulbs to plant.

If anybody wants some calamagostis KF give me a shout, I doubt anybody I know would take it .

• Like Like x 6
              • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Semi Retired.
                Ratings:
                +7,008
                Been out there all day, as it's been lovely and sunny.
                We now look like we have big mole hills everywhere as I have covered most of the Dahlias...now they will have to fend for themselves. I will put fleece over their 'hill's ' if it gets really,really cold.....hubs will love that.....not!:heehee:
                IMG_20191110_161235_hdr.jpgIMG_20191110_161300_hdr.jpg

• Like Like x 7
                • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +88,014
                  Yeah, Yeah, Perki, of course they're the last:dunno::heehee:

• Funny Funny x 3
                  • shiney

Ratings:
                    +72,459
                    @Perki that must have been quite a tough job digging out the Calamagrostis as they can settle in fairly quickly.

miscanthus sinensis malepartus is quite a good grass but usually grows taller than the Cala. The one with the reddish fronds is quite attractive.

• Like Like x 2
                    • Perki

Perki Super Gardener

Ratings:
                      +2,695
                      It were being a sod to get out got the fork out so I didn't chop any alliums, couldn't get it out so got the spade out then dreaded onion smell started :doh:for god sake not another allium chopped :gaah:, it still didn't come out with the spade so I grab hold of the top and give it a pull and it come out straight away like I had dug it out ages ago :scratch:

The miscanthus is to plant next to the Eupatorium so I am looking for a white / silver flowering form , I've seen one I like called memory which fits the bill but they doesn't seem to be many available at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
                      • shiney

Ratings:
                        +72,459
                        • Like Like x 3
                        • Perki

Perki Super Gardener

Ratings:
                          +2,695
                          @shiney I looked at that one from plant pref
                          I looked at the same one and the picture doesn't look right to me, I am not confident buying it to be honest . Knoll gardens sells it but its out of stock till spring so I'll have to wait.

• Like Like x 2
                          • Creative Creative x 1
                          • shiney

Ratings:
                            +72,459
                            I dug out some more dock but still loads to do. Picked up 30lbs of windfalls but left the smaller ones on the ground. Friends will be round to pick those up for their juicing machines.

• Like Like x 1
                            • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
                              +6,445
                              The garden looks really bad at the moment. Being away so much over the last two months, the lawnmower breaking down 2 weeks ago halfway through the cut, and then a couple of frosts (hard work scraping the car clear at 9am on Sunday)....

Yesterday, when I had a bit of spare muscle - aka hubby - around, it peed down with the temp barely reaching 6c. Today it’s finally stopped raining, but it’s still cold out there!

Never mind, I’ve just been out and done some gardening.
                              A quick poop-scoop - made more challenging by the fallen leaves and over-long grass.
                              Then cut back the persicaria on the driveway bed, cleared away the pond debris I dragged out about 10 days ago, pulled out the french beans, the self-seeded tomato, and the courgette plants, along with some of the rocket.
                              Then it was a case of trying to find which tender plants growing against the house are still small enough to bring in. The rest will have to fend for themselves - we’ve snow forecast for Friday!

• Like Like x 4
                              • Friendly Friendly x 1
                              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                                +88,014
                                A good enough day to get me out in the garden so I got the Hedge Trimmer out and cut the 12' long Lavender hedge at the front of the House to the right height in quick time. I'd cut three boughs from my Acer Brilliantissimum as they were shading the lawn and and the stone seat where it had become almost impossible to sit, so today I cut the boughs into reasonable sizes so that I could get them in my car for a trip down to the nearby Dump. Cutting the boughs down let more light in onto the lawn at the expense of confusing the Birds who were used to perching on them! There was also a huge amount of Clematis Armandii strands that wind themselves through the tree which actually held up the boughs after I'd cut the heavy boughs of. I had cut the strands of the Clematis so that the boughs could be pulled free, but it was a good job done.
                                After that I started sorting out the large number of Alliums I'd bought into the different colours and heights to which they would grow and on finding two bulblets of Allium Forelock I potted them up to see if they would grow on, and after that it was a Mug of Tea and a sit down.:cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Like Like x 5