What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,847
    Done nowt outside today except fill the bird feeders and walk the doggies. It's turned reet chilly. My greenhouse heater is probably wearing itself out! Must make the effort and put the insulation panels up across the windows and roll out the heat mat in there tomorrow.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,478
      Made a tent for my two little shrubs out front. I had some leftover sunscreen which is a weave of polyester. A little tighter weave than burlap. It will filter the wind as well. And it doesn't look too ugly. I'll add some Christmas lights to the little front garden too. I will not turn them on until December 1st.

I've got some climbing to do to adjust some so,ar panels but that will wait for a dry, sunny day. The guessers say it will be Friday :)

• Like Like x 5
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,834
        I was determined to trim the around 22' long Jasmine/Clematis hedge that runs along the wildlife pond from the lawn side of the garden, if it remained dry, with the Hedge Cutter. I was playing with the idea of using the Chest Waders and cutting back the Hedge from the pond side but decided that, even wearing the Chest Waders, it was not a good idea. so I reverted to the original plan of cutting/trimming the Hedge from the lawn side.
        I knew the Hedge was overgrown and intruding over the pond water but I was slightly amazed at the amount of of hedge cuttings that fell into the pond and onto the lawn border even when I was only halfway through the trimming. The job actually was finished in a shorter time than I thought it would take, (thank God for power tools:love30::heehee:), so I left the mountain of cuttings on the lawnside and started taking the same amount from the pond. I used a large fishing net on a long pole to capture the cuttings and dumped them in the area where the long bench is by the side of the pond, which took longer than trimming the Hedge!! The frogs in the undergrowth and the pond let me know that they weren't happy with what I was doing by croaking in chorus telling me, I think, to "go away":hate-shocked: and leave them in peace.:heehee:
        I'd earlier bought 3 large garden sacks to supplement the one I'd already got and on using one I found wasn't large but Huge! It was nearly 3 times the size of my original sack and even so I manage to stuff it to the brim with cuttings, my compost bins are nearly full now so the sack full will certainly do the job.
        Although I've still got to clear up what's left of the trimmings but I felt that a major job in the garden was done. The hedge looks a little bare at the moment but it was one of those jobs that, when done, you walk away from with the little glow of satisfaction. Sipping the hot Tea from my Mug standing on the Patio and looking at the garden I realised that there was still a "hundred and one" jobs to do in the garden:wallbanging:.......but decided to call it a day:cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:
        al

• Like Like x 5
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +8,371
          Didn't know you had a lawn armandii, thought it were all plants plants plants .

I've had the lurgy all week but I've been doing a bit over the week still lifted the last of the dahlias yesterday. Had the afternoon off so wrestled the Cannas out of the pots :phew: and cut back the plants / removed annuals from the hot border.

The shredding pile were getting quite large so pulled out the little woodchipper but the cutting were to wet and slimy so got out one of the bigger mowers and chomped them up with that. By time I had finished that it were already dark :gaah:

my last bulbs arrived today I do tend to have a look at the quality of the bulbs when they arrive . Bought 1 allium ambassador and it is HUGE :wow: , I think they sent me the XXL bulbs which were being sold for £9 each instead of the £3.50 bulbs :yes:

These are 3 of my other Allium Ambassador bulbs compared to
          DSC_0305.JPG

• Like Like x 6
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,834
            It nearly is, Perki:dunno::heehee: My garden is 95% insect attracting Hardy Perennials and shrubs, the paths are long and narrow so you'll inevitably be touching or be being brushed by foliage of some kind as you amble down the paths. But there is enough grass for me to strim and mow, and I do like my lawn and the grass as a feature.

I gave some of the White Giant and the Gigantia to a friend of mine, Perki who's an enthusiatic gardener and she was thinking it was a joke because of the size of the bulbs because as you've shown they're huge. Have you noticed the hollows in the huge bulbs? I think they are where the offsets were and that they were taken off, due to their high value, for future stock. I got all of my Alliums and Fritillaria from "Farmer Gracey" and they were all first class in thick named brown paper bags, so I'll be buying from them again. I'm betting that mine grow bigger than yours.

upload_2019-11-21_23-7-48.jpeg

:heehee::loll::lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 4
            • Like Like x 2
            • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +9,232
              The lawnmower has been repaired, and we collected it from the DIY place yesterday evening. Boy that was like a monty python sketch!! The guy was looking for a lawnmower on the little shelves, thinking it might be in one of the shoe-box sized boxes?!! I know my french is bad, but the repair slip was written by them in french!! Then they called 4 people, none of whom could speak English, or Dutch. (The shop is 1km inside the french-speaking area, we live in the Dutch-speaking area). In the end another customer translated my Dutch for them!

Anyway, this meant that today I was able to spend 3 hours cutting the grass, and clearing up some of the leaves. Not so much to cut, but just going back and forth emptying the box!! The oaks are still to drop, but at least now I can put all the “lawn cuttings” straight into the leaf-mould cages!

Deffo needed a double cuppa after that. I’m sure when we first moved here, I’d do some gardening, and then cut the grass. Now, if I cut the grass, that’s often it for the day!!

• Like Like x 7
              • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                Ratings:
                +30,478
                I did a miniscule amount of raking because the leaves were still pretty wet from melted snow and I need them dried out to vacuum and mulch. Plus there are lots more leaves to drop than the leaves on the lawn. It is a tree planted by the town some 30 years ago and it is a nasty Norwegian Maple- we call them swamp maples because they are not very desirable. And the leaves all have black spots in the fall.

I've looked into it and apparently it is okay to spread them around because the fallen spotty leaves don't infect anything but swamp maples and it is considered useless to remove in efforts to isolate the disease.

I sure hope the information was correct. :fingers crossed:

• Like Like x 5
                • capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
                  Ratings:
                  +1,320
                  So. Its over, summer that was. The last green bin collection of the year is gone. Always results in that last minute pruning and tidying on my little garden. Now the pond has gone we have planted some alpines there and I hope they survived the constant flooding due the rain we have had and survive the winter. Roses have a short prune. Fuchsias, lavender and 'I dont know what that is' have been cut back and ready for a winter rest.

This winter I shall be nursing my young Dendrobiums. I have several that are doing okay. I have the very small youngters in a heated seed tray for the winter. Thats my update from Roberts garden for now.

• Like Like x 8
                  • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                    Ratings:
                    +89,283
                    Good afternoon I have completed the aviary inside the shed,outside flight to do yet but that can wait a bit,have installed 10 Budgies and I am going to breed from two pair:smile:

P1020198.JPG

• Like Like x 6
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,834
                      I've still got 35 Alliums, 80 plus Fritillaries, 250 Crocus, 30 Daffs in a bag, and two buckets of Tulips and Daffs from last year to plant, so tomorrow, hopefully if the weather stays dry as promised, it will be a case of donning my mucky gardening clothes, grabbing a Hand Trowel and fork, getting on my knees and searching for places to plant without disturbing anything already in place. I have two large empty pots so I'm thinking of planting layers of some of the Tulips and Daffs in them..........but not all plans succeed!:dunno::wallbanging::heehee::cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Like Like x 5
                      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                        Ratings:
                        +117,308
                        • Agree Agree x 2
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                          Ratings:
                          +117,308
                          The last few days have entailed clearing more leaves and turning the compost heaps and picking up windfalls. :phew:

• Like Like x 4
                          • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +8,371
                            Well progress has been made in planting bulbs , planted all the pots up with bulbs daffs - tulips - muscari etc :) . I did make a mistake planting one of the troughs up on the fence , planted the wrong tulips only realized when I finished and picked the tulips up I were supposed to plant :doh: I had to remove everything again and replant :wallbanging:.

Potted up plants I am hoping to save over winter, I can't find my scoop its driving me insane its been lost for 2 month :gaah: I've got a feeling it might be hibernating in the compost heap.

Planted out the last of the daffodils but for jenny in the garden and the camassia.
                            Feel like I am getting somewhere now with the bulbs just a box of alliums and others like crocus- snowdrops to plant :)

• Like Like x 3
                            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                              +52,317
                              I've done nothing of any significance for weeks outside. It's been either too frosty or too wet even though there's been no rain to speak of. Fog for the last three days hasn't helped. I did rake up a load of Oak leaves mid week from the top end of the drive. If I leave them they will get slimy and being an incline will reduce grip for the car after stopping to check the road is clear to pull out.

• Like Like x 2
                              • Agree Agree x 1
                              • Useful Useful x 1
                              • capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
                                Ratings:
                                +1,320
                                Thanks Shiney. Nowt to do in the garden today. It's a swamp our there.

• Like Like x 1
                                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.