1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,608
    Hmmmm I did something wron... here's the pic

15530179061811776352576.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
      Ratings:
      +10,944
    • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,608
      Forgot to lost the pic! And lookee lookee, tne snow between houses has melted. Hopefully the back will follow soon :)

• Like Like x 2
      • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
        Ratings:
        +6,899
        Not a lot has been done gardening wise due to weather and having other things to do. Still cold enough to need hat and two fleeces. Managed a couple of hours yesterday. Cut back the buddleja in front garden and the dwarf one by the caravan. Dead headed three hydrangeas and removed small bit of dead wood. Gave hydrangeas and buddlejas a feed of liquid seaweed and also my new white rose as it's growing well ( despite the weather ).

The hole that is the new pond has been full of water for a few weeks but has finally drained away so I removed more stones and small rocks. I'm wondering if this is such a good idea now as was planning a liner pond. The soil is very stony and I cannot remove them all. Not sure what to do. The location is next to the existing pond as it's the best place in the front garden. There were a few rocks and stones when hole was dug for that but nowhere near as much - possibly the stones were dumped as left over building materials.

Rearranged plants in the second of my three baths, removed some old compost and added new with granular bfb mixed in. Deciding what to do about the third bath. Last year I used it as a herb garden but it's not really large enough to fit more than four herbs into. I grow the herbs for the buns to eat and for the pollinators so I need two or three of each herb plant. Wondering whether to put the mint into the bath but removing it to divide yearly might be difficult.

I have four lavender plants but only one seems to be thriving. Not sure why the other three are not as all planted same way with gravel underneath them for drainage. I don't seem to be able to grow it successfully, been trying for several years. Debating whether to give up. Rabbits like it, bees like it and I like it so it's a shame. I had some in a pot when we were down south and it grew well. Any thoughts on how to rescue my poorly lavenders, please?

• Like Like x 5
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,315
          Apart from the usual weeding, clearing wind debris from the trees, continuing to edge the lawns and potting on plants we've been broadcast sowing Aquilegia.

We have about 15lb - 20lb of old Aquilegia seeds and have decided to see whether they are still viable. We used to have thousands of Aquilegia plants until they got destroyed by Aquilegia Downy Mildew some years ago. We always collected a lot of seed, put them in small seed envelopes and gave them away on Open Day. Since having the Mildew we haven't been able to sell any plants (used to sell hundreds each year) and few new ones have survived. ARMANDII brought us some from his garden a couple of years ago and some of those survived. :blue thumb: We've made a mental note of where we've spread the seeds so that we don't weed them out if they actually pop up. :fingers crossed:

For those of you that have never been to our garden, this was a typical Springtime view as you came to our entrance
          P1120391.JPG

P1120392.JPG

Aquilegias were growing in small patches and large patches all over the garden, especially in the wild area. :)

• Like Like x 7
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
            +17,487
            Love that Shiney :)

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
              Ratings:
              +10,944
              Absolutely stunning Aquilegias @shiney - they look so healthy in that pic!

I'm the same with Lavender @luciusmaximus - some do o.k. and others are terrible. Mine are all from plug plants I bought from T&M when we first moved here a couple of years ago. My neighbours however look brilliant. Same soil etc but hers are from branches that she literally just stuck in the ground and they grew...althoughs hers are a good few years older than my plants.

• Like Like x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Verdun

Ratings:
                +17,487
                Don’t let Mr Nasty get to you Snorky :)

• Agree Agree x 4
                • Friendly Friendly x 2
                • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                  Ratings:
                  +10,944
                  I know - I don't want them to get the satisfaction of annoying me and I wish I wasn't bothered but it's still upsetting. I think the best plan of action is to ignore them. I have spoken to the local PCSO lady about the other threats we've had over email already so at least they know what is going on.

• Agree Agree x 3
                  • Like Like x 2
                  • Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • Verdun

Ratings:
                    +17,487
                    Put more summer plants outside this morning.....no cold nights in the forecast down here so they should harden up nicely. Gives me more space under cover :)

Yes, I know you’re upset Snorky....it’s what bullies do. They thrive on power but we were always brought up to know bullies are cowards. They don’t like it when stood up to:)

• Agree Agree x 4
                    • Like Like x 2
                    • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                      Ratings:
                      +30,608
                      @Snorky85 next time you go there, make sure you have a dinner fork in your pocket. If they are attending their lot, lift your fork and look at them through the tines. It's always fun to picture people like that "in jail". :) They won't understand what the dickens you're doing too and that might just annoy them back!

• Funny Funny x 7
                      • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
                        +7,634
                        Pruning, cleaning, seed sowing... The Agretti seeds apparently ignored the fact that they have notoriously short viability period and very low germination rate. They had started germinating in the water they were soaking in :) Since there are around 50 seeds, each forming a decent size plant, one can just hope that the thing is tasty. :redface:

Followed @andrews lead and put some of the slow germinating houseplant seeds in the greenhouse to have a cool period. It makes a lot of sense, we'll see what happens.

Repaired the pebble bed around the bird feeding station. Amazingly, a very strong bird has managed to throw new potato sized pebbles half a meter away to get under the weed membrane. We'll have to keep the binoculars ready in case we have a visiting Ostrich. :th scifD36:

Wandered around and finally started to see a mental picture of what I want to grow where. This is just our second summer in this house, and last summer was devoted for the big stuff. A very nice and inspiring feeling :)

• Like Like x 4
                        • Funny Funny x 2
                        • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
                          Ratings:
                          +4,411
                          Gave the Sambucus, Stellar cherry and my Acer Palmatums a spray, before the blackfly get to them. Playing golf in the "shortsleeve weather," today there were a lot of midges about already. I use tee tree oil in a roll-on applicator on my face, it repells them (and probably women too).

Binned that "ferny-looking thing" to the left of the pagoda.

P1000765.JPG

We bought it from T&M over ten years ago. It was listed in their catalogue as "fast growing." As it had done naff-all after a year, I e-mailed them a photo and they gave me a refund. It never did much and lost it's foliage early last year. I checked today and it was dead. I've replaced it with a rose, that I like, but my wife didn't, that had been banished to a tub against the fence next to the drive. She couldn't see it from the kitchen window.

I quite like it, but my wife thinks it has a major demerit...it's red. Reminds her of funerals. Still she won't notice it down there, as long as I don't let it grow too tall again.

12.JPG

It's done the rounds. Four years ago it was growing up this recycled bird feeder in the long border. but she said she could see it from the French windows. So it ended up in the tub.

P1060024.JPG

If it's dry tomorrow, it'll be a bit of weeding and a mow of the lawn. Too wet to scarify.

• Like Like x 6
                          • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +8,489
                            Had a little potter around this evening , got my two rambling roses planted , moved a hemerocallis which has never flowered probably in to much shade I don't have much luck with day lilies for some unknown reason. Planted my 6 lilium Henyri bulbs and tidy up one of the group 2 clematis .

Should have some plant deliveries tomorrow upload_2019-3-20_19-7-16.gif :hapydancsmil:

Most plants are showing in the garden now and the bulbs in pots .

Need to have a tidy up of my hoarded plants scattered around here there and everywhere upload_2019-3-20_19-7-16.gif :help: :whistle:

• Like Like x 3
                            • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                              Ratings:
                              +10,944
                              HA HA HA That is hilarious. I love it and right up my street. I like to pretend I'm squeezing their heads between my thumb and forefinger. :loll:

Got some therapeutic gardening done today. Weeded one of the borders in the back garden and dug out an old penstemon that was looking really leggy and growing too far over the steps next to the koi pond. I've got some cuttings growing in the greenhouse so will replace it with the cuttings eventually.

Also cut back 3 buddleia. One of them is really old and I cut it back really hard - sure it will be fine though. Cut the old heads off sedum plants - might split some of them again.

• Like Like x 3
                              Thread Status:
                              Not open for further replies.