1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2020

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by NigelJ, Jan 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,233
    Today (well, this afternoon - a.m. was spent battling with a failing sound system at church!) was a “did I read that correctly?” sort of day.

First task was to harvest the chillies. One tray at a time (there are 15 trays, 5-6 chilli plants per tray) brought outside to the patio table - the nights are now too cold for the plants outside. Each plant checked for pests, spent flowers stuck to forming chillies, etc, and then any red or damaged chillies harvested and sorted by variety. Hubby has this idea of making our hot chilli jam “single variety” - I blame the new generation of cider-makers! We now have 9 bags of different chillies, with as few as 1 chilli in one bag (more to come) to 300g+ in another, ready to go in the freezer. In a few weeks, we will start to make the jam.

Second task was to treat the lemon tree. First step was to move the plant to the middle of the garden, far away from the two ponds. Then wash the leaves - all the leaves! We have had so little rain over the past 6 months, Some of the leaves were black with dirt and mould. The ripening fruit also were treated to a clean. We harvest 5-10 lemons a year, using both the flesh and the rinds (candied peel is so easy to make!). The washing also helped to remove some of the scale insects - the main pest for our lemons. Finally, the plant was sprayed thoroughly, both sides of all the leaves, with neem oil. Excess neem oil spray was used to treat the date palm and the generic large Ikea palm (Sorry - forgotten the name) which both have mealy bug.

Time for a G&T, before roast rabbit for tea!

• Like Like x 5
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,566
      I've started a new thread for this....

New border bed

• Like Like x 4
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,271
        Plant some of the things I bought yesterday and then probably paint the shed with waterproofer.

• Like Like x 8
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
          Ratings:
          +44,534
          Planted some more wallflowers and tulips, been cutting back some of the lavenders when hubby wasn't watching. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 5
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,382
            I finally struggled to finish mowing the wild area yesterday (after it had first been strimmed down from calf high) and just about made it back to my armchair :phew: :old:
            P1490859.JPG

This morning I went to the bottom of the garden to check which way the wind was blowing. I've needed to have a bonfire for at least a month but had to delay it. Firstly it was because the farmer hadn't harvested and, since then, because the wind was in the wrong direction.

This morning the weather forecast was actually correct :rolleyespink:. Very light breeze and from the north. So I set up the hose all the way down to the bonfire, watered all the trees around (leaves, branches and trunks), rattled the heap right through the middle at ground level, bashed the sides of the heap with a plank and then put newspaper in strategic places.

The bonfire heap had originally been about 10ft high but had, over the weeks, shrunk and collapsed to just over 6ft high.
            P1490890.JPG

P1490891.JPG

It was then a matter of 'light blue touchpaper and stand back' :yikes:. I couldn't get any closer than 30ft to start with and kept hosing down the trees.

Ten seconds after lighting
            P1490896.JPG

Then after just a couple of minutes
            P1490899.JPG

P1490900.JPG

P1490900.JPG

P1490902.JPG

And less than five minutes after striking the match it was burnt right down.
            P1490908.JPG

Ten minutes later is was smouldering ash and I was able to throw the unburned trunks and debris onto the centre. I then cut back some of a large conifer and left the cuttings on the fire to burn down. I'll look later to see how much is left. When cool the ash shall be mixed into the compost together with some horse manure.

• Like Like x 12
            • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
              Ratings:
              +54,374
              So glad I decided not to do my laundry today @shiney .:heehee:

Busy preparing the greenhouse , coldframes and the big covered storage area that will be home to all the tender plants soon, hubs has had to mend/ replace some parts of them. Nearly ready now. :biggrin:

I have been seed harvesting and taking loads of cuttings this morning.. why do I do it!!!:noidea:I do the same every year. I must resist the urge!!!

Need to start digging up and storing all the frost tender bulbs next. I have begun to sort out the bulbs for planting out in Oct/ Nov. I don't plant out Tulips until November as it's still too warm here and I try to avoid them succumbing to Tulip Fire.:fingers crossed:

It's now to hot to work around the greenhouse area, that is strictly a morning task on warm days.

• Like Like x 9
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • shiney

Ratings:
                +118,382
                @Upsydaisy It would have smelled good as half that big heap was bay tree. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 8
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
                  Ratings:
                  +6,899
                  I must remember not to invite you for dinner as I have 6 rabbits :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 3
                  • Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
                    Ratings:
                    +6,899
                    Yesterday was absolutely beautiful. Had an hour or so pottering around, dead headed dwarf buddleja, pulled weed out of pond, cut grass in side garden and added clippings to the new grass pile.

The hedgehog who was in the house under terms willow that I mentioned before has died :cry3:. Someone is going on around here, had four unexplained deaths this year and three last year. I can't say for sure they are connected but there are definite similarities. I suspect poison.

• Friendly Friendly x 6
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +8,496
                      Just keeping the garden ticking over at the moment hoping to hold onto summer as long as possible and its felt like summer the past few weeks. I've been potting plants on for next year and getting ready to order some seeds from chiltern seeds, I've not ordered from them before and they are a little bit on the expensive side but I've been disappointed with my seeds suppliers this year so I trying a new supplier, just waiting to see if they put a autumn discount code out I am being a cheapskate.
                      I lifted some wonky red carrots yesterday , I wonder why I bother with carrots erractic germinators and they a very cheap to buy anyway . And I collect some raspberries for once which reminds me I need to check on them first attempt in freezing them .

I may strip the tomato plants tomorrow of their leaves to help ripen the many left.

Back into lockdown in some shape of form , having the garden has been a god send for lots of people on the first full scale lockdown which won't be the case over the winter months :sad:. Its very high here the covid cases think its second highest in the country behind Bolton.

• Like Like x 5
                      • Friendly Friendly x 4
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • Sian in Belgium

Ratings:
                        +9,233
                        Yesterday I pottered, clearing around this year’s planting on the drive bed, and a final wave of deadheading - including removing the spent stems of water-mint.

Today looks like the last dry day of drought. The coming 8 days is rain forecast each day - at last! But it means I need to get the dry stuff done soon. So I hope to manage to do some of the following:
                        - Bring the last few bagged garden compost up to the top of the garden, where it will go on the veg beds when they are cleared
                        - Remove the turf on the planned extension of the border behind the pond’s bench
                        - empty the final compost bay into old compost bags, to stack where the remaining bags are now
                        - cut back the encroaching ivy around the compost bays, along with brambles and nettles, so that access around the bays is manageable over winter, when any contact with undergrowth will mean cold, wet trousers
                        - maybe, but unlikely! cut the grass

I will definitely need slices of fruit cake to keep me going!

• Like Like x 6
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                          Ratings:
                          +44,534
                          Yesterday planted more wallflowers and tulips and watered them in, the ground was very dry so gave them a good soaking. It's raining today so nothing in the garden today.

• Like Like x 7
                          • Sian in Belgium

Ratings:
                            +9,233
                            Hmmm, a little ambitious, I was!

When I went to move the bags of last year’s compost, there were 8 full bags, rather than the “few” I thought. That was 8x40l bags to wheelbarrow from the lowest part of the garden to the highest part. Then dismantle the sides of the compost bays, and bag up 16 40l bags of compost, lifting them out of the bays. The best 4 bags went up to the top of the garden - probably the best compost I’ve seen in years, be it homemade or commercial - ready to be used. The remaining 12 bags stacked under the hedge. Two toads had to be carefully lifted out of the compost and set so that they could safely retreat into another bay - one common, the other a midwife....

.... I did pick 1lb of walnuts though?

My back and shoulders now hate me with a passion, so I’m calling it a day!

• Like Like x 5
                            • Friendly Friendly x 2
                              Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
                            • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                              +100,836
                              My day off today:hapydancsmil: So, after it stopped raining I donned my mucky gardening clothes again and planted 9 Cyclamen in the shadier parts of the West border while clearing out a lot of dead leaves etc. The Clematis "Armandii" has been slowly taking over the Acer "Brilliantissismum" for the last few years so, today, it got a real haircut with the long, junglelike creepers being taken out which filled up the Council Green Waste Bin and the Acer looks a lot better.
                              I was moving pots on the Patio underneath the Kitchen window only to find that the external drain grid which takes the water from the Kitchen Sink and the Washing Machine was totally blocked with a thick sludge of old compost, leaves, rubbish from washing. It took a good hosing and a stiff brush to shift and clear it but was a good job done:thumbsup:
                              A big, heavy pot
                              upload_2020-9-23_19-5-40.png

that had stood by the Kitchen Door for years has been in need of taking out the plants, rejuvenating the compost mixture with fresh compost, sand, potting grit and Blood, Fish and Bonemeal.
                              Not wanting to do it straight away when the thoughts of sorting it out I, temporarily, replaced it with a smaller pot with some newly planted Lavender
                              upload_2020-9-23_19-12-25.png

so, getting down on my knees, I emptied it, divided the plants and added a few new ones and, finding a new place for the smaller Lavender pot, and put it back in it's original place.
                              That left me with around 15 divisions of Shasta Daisy, some Lily plants and bulbs. Now there is a small border on the NorthEast side of the front of the House that was always planted with Shrubs but, some years ago, I took out and never replanted the border, so that was where the Shasta Daisies, lilies etc were planted so that border will look a lot difference next year. After that I had an amble around the garden and did a bit of tidying up, snipping and pruning, with some dead heading but nothing too strenuous.
                              The garden is, basically, running itself for the moment and we had the first rain, 4mm, today after a fairly long dry spell which will freshen up the borders which still have plenty of colour in them. Then I went out shopping and bought 16 more Cyclamen and around 80 more Daffodils which I will have to find space, somehow, for:dunno::heehee:

• Like Like x 6
                              • Friendly Friendly x 2
                              • shiney

Ratings:
                                +118,382
                                I thought about doing some work in the garden but held up by loads of emails and phone calls and the subsequent work generated. :sad: But I really did think of doing the gardening - honest! :noidea:

• Like Like x 5
                                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.