1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2020

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by NigelJ, Jan 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,617
    An hour or so in the garden today, my first since November. I've moved the three roses I planted as a disguise for my oil tank, not having realised they don't grow very tall. They are now in front of the trellis. Whilst there I dug down to see if the roots remained from the Clematis I planted last year and accidently strimmed down. :doh:No, it's completely gone, so I'm going to rethink what to plant there. Ideas for a rural garden, 6 x 6ft trellis gratefully received please, but not roses.

• Like Like x 4
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,527
      @Sheal you could always cheat with one of these for your oil tank :noidea:
      [​IMG]
      The old fashioned way of hiding things by a growing barrier was to plant Jerusalem artichokes in front of what you wanted to hid. During the growing season they form a tall barrier and then in Autumn you can harvest the tubers (make an excellent winter cream soup).

I got quite a lot done in the garden yesterday as it was very sunny - but cold. This is the time of year that we could fill a skip every week with the cutting back of plants. Most of it is too woody for composting (all our compost heaps are full with grass and leaves, anyway) so either gets put on the bonfire or in the wheelie bins.

I've been working in the front garden. I half filled one wheelie bin with moss from the flower beds (don't seem to have made much impression on them) but then it got to be too much bending low. So I went on to cutting down four large Veronicastrum plants and started on the dozen or so crocosmia.

This is half of the one of each of the biggest plants :rolleyespink:
      P1430934.JPG

I also need to start on this driveway border. It shows about half of the length and seems to be trying to swallow Mrs Shiney.
      P1440517.JPG

The tall grasses will need to be cut back with the hedge cutter as they're too tough for shears and too time consuming for secateurs.

The bed on the front verge needs to be sorted as well. Like the above photo, this was taken in September and both have grown a lot since then :phew:
      P1440230.JPG

• Like Like x 8
      • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
        Ratings:
        +10,980
        @Sheal is it a sunny or shady spot? I was thinking maybe a jasmine or honeysuckle? Or even a forsythia or a garrya elliptica (depending on how tall you want them to grow). They all grow really quick in my garden. The jasmine and honeysuckle would prefer sun but the forsythia and garrya in my garden are in the shade and they grow like mad. I chopped them down to virtually stumps (i actually thought id killed the forsythia) and both have come back with a vengeance. Garrya also being evergreen is useful for hiding things

• Like Like x 4
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +9,233
          @Sheal, I hate to suggest the obvious, but what about a small-leaved variegated ivy, alternating it with other climbers, or even an upright shrub (like forsythia), using the ivy to bind it in...

• Like Like x 3
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
            Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,527
            I decided to start cutting back the Verbena bonariensis. I managed 840 of them before my fingers felt they were dropping off from the cold. I guess there are still a few hundred to go.

I'm one of those peculiar people that count things without consciously doing it :rolleyespink:! I find that I can go up a long flight of stairs and without realising it I can be asked, when reaching the top, how many there were and I would know the answer.

• Like Like x 6
            • Funny Funny x 3
            • 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
              Ratings:
              +1,840
              Sweet pea seeds have gone in - only two lots this year, we had an offer accepted on a house last week so will hopfully be moving in the spring :hapfeet:but no idea on exact timelines yet, so trying to avoid having to shift too many seedlings/young plans :rolleyespink:

Had a bit of a general tidy up and wander round; the hellebores are the best they've ever been but my snowdrops seem very behind, they're only just starting to poke their noses up.

• Like Like x 11
              • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                Ratings:
                +10,980
                Exciting news @2nd_bassoon best of luck with it and hope it all goes through smoothly.

@shiney Im a counter too-but only up to 5 :heehee: Mine is up to 5 and back again to 1, and i usually tap my fingers whilst I’m doing it....from playing piano scales for years 123,1234,123,123454321,321,4321,321 ahem yes....anyway....

Ended up having agreat gardening day when the sun came out-it was beautiful. Cleared the old verbena at the side as shiney’s post had reminded me. Cleared loads of old crocosmia leaves and did a tidy up of the back outside border. Then tidied up along the front outside border and cut back some of the hellebore leaves from the new bits I planted last year.

Then I spent an hour or so tieing up the jasmine into a trellis like shape so it grows strong up straight and almost fence like to block out the nutcase neighblurs.

F9B8DD32-90E2-43CD-B481-734714ACDEA5.jpeg

Then decided to scrub the front of the house as the cream rendering seemed to be going a bit green. All looks much better now. Was so good to have a day “getting on with it”.

• Like Like x 9
                • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
                  Ratings:
                  +6,899
                  Only had about half an hour today, but better than no time at all. Netted the pond, pulled up a few weeds and yanked/ cut back long grass that was swamping two young Lilac trees. I bought them around 3 years ago without realizing how slow growing they are. Considering whether to persevere with them or not.

I had a short sit on the bench. Hazy sunshine, no wind, birds singing, sheep asleep in the field. All very peaceful but I found myself feeling somewhat guilty for enjoying my situation when across the world so many animals have suffered and died so horribly. :cry3::cry3:.

• Like Like x 4
                  • Friendly Friendly x 3
                  • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                    +100,836
                    Do, lucius, as they are worth the wait for the scent and the blooms.:hapydancsmil::hapfeet:

• Agree Agree x 3
                    • Like Like x 2
                    • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                      Ratings:
                      +10,980
                      Aww @luciusmaximus I get those same feelings about other animals. It is heartbreaking. I’m just grateful I’ve been able to give my love and care to my two girls and rescue from their life of cruelty.

As for lilacs-I was hoping to buy one this year. From what youve said I’m going to try and find the biggest lilac I can! They smell devine.

• Like Like x 6
                      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                        +100,836
                        Do some research before you get one, Snorky, as there are some really nice ones out there and you deserve a good 'un!!:coffee:

• Like Like x 4
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +52,617
                          Thank you :) but I don't think your idea would work @shiney as there is a barrier around the tank. I'd like something evergreen there and have been thinking on tall heathers. I have to be careful on not planting something too broad as it will restrict access for oil deliveries.

107.JPG
                          The trellis was put up to disguise the back of the shed and hide the bins. @Snorky85 it's in shade until mid afternoon. I dug the three small roses out yesterday from around the tank and have planted them at the front of the trellis. Other shrubs aren't really an option in the area as you can see and to be honest the soil isn't deep enough there to take them. The whole garden is on bedrock in various depths and I'm lucky if I can dig down 2ft in most places. I thought about Honeysuckle before planting the Clematis and it's something I'll 're-visit' thanks.

With respect @Sian in Belgium my answer is a definite no! :) It is one thug I haven't got here and I'm not about to introduce it, sorry. I'm currently fighting bracken, ground elder and my neighbours rampant Rugosa's amongst other unwanted plants.

Plants have to be hardy and cope with occasional -15C and -5C regularly overnight during winter.

108.JPG

• Like Like x 5
                          • Informative Informative x 1
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +8,509
                            I dont think they a worth a place in a small garden Lilacs , the flowers are nice and the scent but they are very boring / unattractive for 11months of the year and they are fussy about pruning which they don't really like at all. I do see a giant one on the main road with a laburnum towering above it , it doesn't half look good when they are both flowering at the same time.

I probably go for just a nice variegated Ivy @Sheal for the trellis with a group 3 or 2 clematis scrambling through it. Training a pyracantha would work but take time nothing else comes to mind evergreen . I don't think garrya or star jasmine would work unfortunately your property looks exposed to cold winds ? which will soon scorch the leaves.

• Like Like x 5
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
                              +9,233
                              I know what you mean about being a thug, @Sheal. The neighbours garden is overrun with a mix of ivy and brambles, and it’s a constant battle along the 60 metres of fencing....
                              ....it’s why I suggested a small-leaved, variegated ivy.
                              Both variations make the plant less vigorous, and the variegation makes it easier to spot if it tries to make a run for it :heehee:. Rather than looking in the garden section, I source the plants from the houseplant section, planting out in late spring, when the soil has warmed up a little. But I do understand!!

• Like Like x 3
                              • Friendly Friendly x 1
                              • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                                Ratings:
                                +44,696
                                Hopefully get into the garden today to empty one of the compost bins. It's those cone shaped ones with a door at the bottom that slides up and off.

• Like Like x 2
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.