1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2020

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by NigelJ, Jan 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Well, a lot of mine, lucius, are still pushing out of the ground! You're only 100 miles, (I thought it was around 60 miles as the Crow flies:doh:), by road away from me and more to the West but it just shows how much it effects plants seasonal growth. I've visited Anglesey literally hundreds of times over the years and my Wife and I loved it. I was also detached to RAF Valley for once a year with No.III Squadron to practice at the Missile Practice Camp so I had time to wander around the beautiful countryside.:cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Like Like x 4
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Me being a Byslexic Dastard, and all that, I've never got my head around why it is called a "Detachment" ...

Detachment = "the state of being objective or aloof". Dunno about RAF, you boys were a lot more Fly of course ... but I'm pretty sure the Army ain't that, but rather more of "It it moves salute it, if it doesn't then paint it" :loll:

• Like Like x 5
      • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
        Ratings:
        +6,899
        Tried the pump and hose idea. Pipe on pump is slightly too short but adding another piece and it's too long. Could cut it maybe but the pump is quite difficult to use, as in trying to hold it in place whilst cranking handle. The pipes to take away the water are not the recommended pipes, just trying to utilize whatt available here. I don't want to spend any more money than is absolutely necessary as know there is a big bill coming to fix everything. It's easier to do the bucket bailout but time consuming and somewhat smelly :oops:

• Like Like x 3
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Well, on Operational Units, to which I mostly always posted (with a 2nd class stamp), we were a bit looser with rank recognition where Pilots needed their aircraft serviced by people they trusted so, unless there were "strangers" around then we operated on first names, unlike the Army:love30::thumbsup:where every sentence seemed to finish with the superior rank of the person they were talking to.
          During my service in the RAF I never went on Parades , or wore Boots again after I finished my Apprenticeship. Also, because we were operational units, standing in the blasts of twin engined jet aircraft like the English Electric Lighting, we couldn't/didn't wear hats. although we never needed an excuse to not to salute an Officer if he was a member of the Squadron.
          I confess I was a typical scruffy Technician always dressed in oil stained overalls, unpolished shoes due to hydraulic fluid seeing off polish, and "slightly" longer hair than Army or RAF regulations permitted. I think the RAF taught me to be a free thinker, to think an order through and politely query it if needed as it could mean the difference of a Pilot and aircraft taking off and landing safely or not. We also worked until the job was done or when operational requirements needed to, so 14-16 hours working days were common as well as sleeping on camp beds next to the aircraft.

I never knew or held a paint brush until I left the rif raf and bought my own House and had to paint the room walls.:dunno::heehee:

• Like Like x 3
          • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            I remember standing by the runway at Wattisham watching the whole squadron of Lightnings scramble, two abreast, on Battle of Britain day, for the fly-past down the Mall. I must have been in short trousers then surely? How come you were working by then ... you can't be that much more stone-aged than I am?

They were a bit of a pest when they scrambled at 2AM to have a chat with Ruskies over the North Sea ... house was on flightpath near the end of the runway

• Like Like x 4
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,836
              I, Kristen, am listed in the Book of National Antiquities:heehee: and, as we have met twice in person and you know of my Village Idiot like appearance, thank you for the compliment.:heehee:

There were two Lightning Squadrons at Wattisham at that time, (No.III Squadron and No.56 Squadron) and, no doubt, I must have been eating a curled up sandwich and drinking a mug of stewed tea standing by/in the No.III Squadron Hangar at the time. No.III Squadron was also known as the Black Arrows as they were the RAF Aerobatic Squadron for many years, first using all black Hawker Hunters and the only Squadron to perform a 22 aircraft loop, of which the record still stands. But I was, I confess, the youngest, (the Baby:doh:), member of the Squadron at the time (officially 18 years old but since I had lied about my age I was actually 17 years old).
              No.56 Squadron took RAF Aerobatic duties over a year before I moved on but when practising formation flying while we watching two of their aircraft touched wings right over our heads and we saw the Pilot eject while the aircraft wandered on to dive into a Pea Field a couple of miles away. The Pilot, unfortunately, suffered a broken back on that ejection, and I along with other members of both Squadrons was rushed over to the crash site, which missed an isolated Cottage by yards, as an emergency guard. I spent a miserable cold night in that Pea field until we were relieved properly.:gaah::dunno::heehee:

• Like Like x 2
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,667
                I shall henceforth call you "Treasure" :)

My Father was 152-Squadron (Hyderbad gift (if that is the right word?) from the Nizam), and by coincidence they were at Wattisham shortly after the war; Father became an honorary member of the mess and hence short-trousered me was standing on the tarmac that day - waving at the scruffy mechanic never for a moment expecting him to become a National Treasure :)

I made that last bit up ...

I remember going to a dinning in night (OK, maybe I was a bit older than short-trousers ...) and Mother saying to a Lighting Pilot

"How has your day been?"
                "I've been down in Bristol"
                "Gosh, that must have been tiring"
                "About 8 minutes" :)

I also well remember "triple one" ...

Group Captain "Wally" Walters was in charge of maintenance, mid 60's I suppose it was. They didn't lose a single pilot whilst he was there; my parents used to let the end of these house out to single airmen (they clearly didn't want a quiet life!), over a number of decades and I can remember at least 2 that didn't come home :(

• Like Like x 2
                • Informative Informative x 1
                • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  :nonofinger::heehee::loll::lunapic 130165696578242 5:

Unfortunately, Kristen, it is now added to the pages of History.:dunno::heehee:
                  He had obviously been doing less than 1,000mph and taking his time.:dunno::heehee:

Also known as "Trouble One" and "Trembling First".......Great Britain had no reason to tremble with us guarding it:dunno::whistle:

We were an independent operational Squadron with no actual ties to the Wattisham Station and our "Boss" Squadron Leader Wirdnam was "God" so we answered to him and he didn't answer to the Station Commander or any Group Captain of Maintenance:dunno:.
                  In those days the Station Warrant Officer, (SWO) was, many considered, more powerful and feared than the Station Commander. One day he wandered down to the Hangars and spotted a Corporal Technician,(Technicians like me wore their stripes upside down to denote that they were Technicians) who was taking a break. The SWO nearly had a heart attack seeing an airman standing there in oily/mucky overalls and long hair. He immediately ordered the airman to get a hair cut, change his clothes and report to him in his Office when he had done so. The airman had to report the incident to our CO, (the Boss), who told him to get on servicing the aircraft and leave the SWO to him. So the Boss phoned the SWO and informed him that the Squadron didn't fall into his regime and that No.III Squadron was out of bounds to the SWO as were the members of the Squadron........the rumour was that the CO used a lot a four letter words to get his point across, but we all loved and revered him for it.:love30::wub2::heehee:

• Like Like x 2
                  • andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
                    Ratings:
                    +2,369
                    Emptied the second compost bin this morning, removed the weed membrane from the old strawberry patch, along with a load of bricks holding the membrane down. Hand balled the compost onto part of the veg patch in trugs. Ive decided to hang on to the third bin of compost to add to the MPC for some of the larger tubs. I have 600L of compost but I know that this wont go very far.

Moved some of the less tender plants from the tunnel into their summer positions. Emptied about 1/4 bulk bag of small pebbles onto part of the border where I want drought loving plants, did a bit of weeding in the border.

Its amazing how much tidier the garden is looking now that we can spend a bit of time out there.

• Like Like x 4
                    • Agree Agree x 3
                    • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
                      Ratings:
                      +54,374
                      Potted up more Marigolds and Salvias. Did some more sorting out in the greenhouse ...as soon as I tidy up one side the other sides becomes a mess!!:heehee:

• Like Like x 6
                      • Funny Funny x 1
                      • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                        Ratings:
                        +10,964
                        Did exactly that today!

Also made up a couple of pots up from things id divided and the angel wings my neighbour divided up from me as a birthday present yesterday.
                        88EA8714-0B49-49CD-93D3-3A8342FFE42E.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
                        • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
                          Ratings:
                          +54,374
                          :oopss: Was it your birthday yesterday @Snorky85 !!
                          Those Angel Wings look pretty...just going to Goggle them.:)

• Agree Agree x 3
                          • Like Like x 2
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                            +100,836
                            Another parcel from Farmer Gracy appeared on the doorstep today with

3 Black Satin Bearded Iris
                            4 Ferraria Crispa
                            3 Habenaria Radiata

So I made another bucket of Compost, Sand, and Grit and spent some time potting them up. I've never grown Ferraria Crispa and Habenaria Radiata before so another new experience. If anyone has grown them before I would be sincerely grateful for any growing advice.

I also ordered another 10 x 5 litre pots and 10 x 3 litre pots as I'm getting a bit low on them. I also had to phone Farmer Gracy as I'd had no e-mail confirmation of a second order of

Bearded Iris "Red Zinger and "Batik"
                            Day Lily "Pandoras Box"
                            Kniphofia "Lavaria Grandiflora
                            Astilbe "Fanal"

I had to leave a message but they rang me back within the hour so they assured that the second order was on the way:hapydancsmil:

• Like Like x 5
                              Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
                            • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                              Ratings:
                              +44,604
                              Potted on the small chilli plants, rooting some erigeron cuttings in water got 5 so far, having trouble with the seeds germinating this year so the cuttings were the last resort.
                              Watered the polyanthus and 5 big pots with the spring bulbs in and 4 big pots with rhubarb in, it's getting very dry here, but it always does this time of year.

• Like Like x 5
                              • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
                                +3,718
                                Finally finished repotting last years plants today so thats one job out of the road, i was going to do some more on the hexagonal pergola but my wife's asked me to do the rose pergola instead, she says she's fed up of seeing the wood sitting on the path so been measuring up for the post supports so hopefully I'll get :pathd:

• Like Like x 5
                                • Funny Funny x 2
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.