1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats eating my sunflowers leaves

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by scrumpyjack, Jul 21, 2007.

1. scrumpyjack

scrumpyjack Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Something is eating huge holes in my sunflowers,but I cant see anything--i've tried spraying for the usual bugs and laid slug pellets but still they get eaten.
    [​IMG]
    Any advice please? ;)

2. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Well let me know if you find out, because I have never been so nibbled in my life!!! tips of my brugmansias, amaranthus, all the soft tender spots and yes although I hate the thought I have sprayed too.

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I suspect it is slugs and snails- they must be loving this weather. I am finding things like Alstromeria eaten, which had never been eaten before. It was definately a snail - well an ex snail to be precise. :D

4. Gillypetunia

Gillypetunia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The slugs have nibbled at my sunflower leaves too but I can never seem to catch them in the act to murder them :(

5. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    what sunflowers?? I've planted 3 lots and they've all been eaten to nothing [​IMG]

6. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Definately snails! Mine have been shredded. I have spotted a couple on them and they are definately the culprits. They are having a great summer in all this rain!

7. scrumpyjack

Ratings:
    +0
    It looks like my sunflowers might have a bad dose of earwigs--What gets rid of them?? :eek:

8. OogieBoogie

OogieBoogie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What does earwig damage look like as opposed to snails? I notice next doors' sunflowers look fine and mine are a feast for something (pretty sure it is slugs/snails though).

9. scrumpyjack

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know what the difference is. But I haven't caught any snails or slugs near the plants or any slimy trails.
    I have found quite a few earwigs today--so I wondered????

10. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Well I caught up with the little b******* today, they are only a few mill but definately sammy snails!