1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats the best way to get rid of rsm

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by james swann, Aug 10, 2012.

1. james swann

james swann Gardener

Ratings:
    +141
    Having some major problems with red spider mite anyone got any tips??

2. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    I use neem oil blended with washing up liquid and water in a spray bottle. Nothing else seems to work short of a blow torch.

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    I mix up Neem oil Lavender oil 1 drop of detergent & water & spray undersides of leaves as well as the rest of the plant & soil surface..

Raise the humidity as well if you can but they are a nightmare in the greenhouse.. I have also been told that the active ingredient of Red Mite treatment for poultry is the stuff but not sure at all..

• Like Like x 2
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,050
      As far as I know nothing that is cleared for use on edible plants, in the UK, will kill RSM.
      The mite is relatively easy to kill, but the eggs are another problem.

Unless you know a mate that grows commercially;)

• Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
      Ratings:
      +3,035
      Like others above I use neem oil.

• james swann

james swann Gardener

Ratings:
      +141
      I work in a very big commercial nursery, in planning, logistics etc. But they use a biological control cant remember the name of it now but comes in sachets whhich you hang on the plant and you can buy them on the web privately but only til the end of july theres a reactive bio control i found today on my aweful 13hr shift which i ordered as well ass some neem oil thanks for the advice all

• Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
      Ratings:
      +3,035
      The biological control is probably phytoseiulus James. I've used it and it does work, but it needs an air temperature that doesn't fall below 10C and I found that RSM often appeared when night time temperatures were still frequently lower than 10C and by the time things had warmed up enough to make the use of the predator viable RSM had really taken off.

• james swann

james swann Gardener

Ratings:
      +141
      Thats the reaactive one i ordered i believe. Cheerss for the heads up i shall press on with a home made rsm mixture thatll make sure they dont return lol

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      I do exactly that too, although I specifically use "horticulural soap" which I understand is less harmful to [some] plants. Can't remember the chemistry, but I think it has to do with Phosphates or something like that [present in regular washing up liquid, absent from "horticultural soap"]

Downside of Neem + Detergent is that you have to spray very frequently to get control as there is NOTHING systemic about it, its purely a contact agent. But it definitely works IME. I think they say that it disrupts the insects' feeding pattern, and in effect they forget to feed themselves. But because of the gestation period of the eggs you need to clobber each successive generation the moment it hatches, before it starts breeding again.