Whats the strangest thing youve ever dug up ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by spudbristol, May 31, 2008.

1. JingleJane

JingleJane Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone recall the secret garden or grotto "found" in some woods fairly recently? I'm sure it was in this country but I can't recall the name of the place.

2. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    In the garden I have now we found heaps of rubbish and some funny items (two road posts). We also found plenty of bones. We tried (hubby and me) to reassure each other saying "cow" "pig", until I found a pair of glasses. Never saw cattle with glasses, but who knows.

In the old garden, in Italy I found lots of ceramic fragments a very old teaspoon, and a single beautiful bronze rosette, probably from a roman armour.

3. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
  4. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing to match some of these but we did find a full size house radiator in the back garden - probably still there since I could not remove it!

Love the bones find - maybe old cows do wear specs. - who knows what they do to relieve the boredom.

5. JingleJane

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link, Moyra!
    But no, I'm sure it was a kind of grotto decorated with shells etc in English woodland. Plants had grown over it hiding it for years. I'm guessing it must have been on some large estate.

6. Sezzle

Sezzle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We found a white glazed ceramic egg in the floor of the barn. Apparently it was used to encourage hens to lay in a suitable place. There haven't been hens there for at least 50 years!

7. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1

that reminds me of something i found in a customers garden i think it was a dead dogs skeliton but it was just on the surface under a tree :eek: very weird

It is very interesting what you can find isnt it when youve not even looking i however get out sometimes metaldetecting but have yet to find anything of note ..........

8. JingleJane

Ratings:
    +0
    A few weeks ago I discovered a cream-coloured pebble with lots of tiny dents in it. It seems perfectly spherical, quite like a malteser with all the chocolate nibbled off. I'd say it was probably a bit smaller than the size of a ping pong ball.

I live right by the sea and often see the same man patrolling up and down with a metal detector. It's amazing to think what treasures lay beneath the earth and on the sea bed.

9. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Found a horses skull once,as kids we used to dig on a field where an old bottle factory used to be we collected the glass marbles they had in old bottles and came across this find, had one of the teeth in my pocket for ages it were massive.:eek:

10. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb::D An old pre war BSA side valve motorcycle, buried in a garden, during WW2..!! It was actually not that far from you either Spud..!! Winterbourne..?? Near Crossly house.!:)
    I was very well preserved as he had intended to did it up, but he was killed in the war.. His nephew ended up buying the house & we were able to help him dig it up.!!:D Somewhere I have a photo of it sat in the back of the Landrover somewhere. I'll see if I can find it..!!:D

11. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I haven't dug anything interesting up yet. There is a dog buried in the garden by our tree cause the neighbours told us after we moved in

12. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +47,866
    I found this, I think its the loch ness monster's little little brother:

[​IMG]

Its one of many funny shaped flints I keep digging up, here's the best of my collection, spot the chicken leg on the second from left, its the exact shape & size but not colour! I put it on me son's dinner plate once but he wasn't fooled :o
    [​IMG]

This one is a cat (it is, it is! :rolleyes:):
    [​IMG]

I do find lots of clay pipes, pottery & glass:

[​IMG]

Spot the bit of clay pipe with the root growing through it:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

:):):):)

• Like Like x 1
    • Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
      Ratings:
      +770
      The one on the bottom right looks like a Seal:D

• plantlife

plantlife Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Wow, that's cool! :D I haven't found anything too fun, myself.

• Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
      +8
      I find half bricks and the occassional two penny....
      what I'm looking for is the tree that grows £5 notes.:yez: