1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

When can I remove allium leaves?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by GardeningFin, May 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. GardeningFin

GardeningFin Gardener

Ratings:
    +50
    Hi again!,
    My gorgeous alliums have rather yellowy/dry leaves that look a bit messy. :spinning:

Is it too soon to remove them and when should I remove them? Just wondering, they make the border look a little bit messy.

Thanks again :love30:
    Fin

[​IMG]

2. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,684
    Beautiful Alliums! :wub2:

I'd leave the leaves until they are definitely yellowing and dying off. That way the bulbs get the most out of them and will flower even better the next years.

My Alliums are grown together with early tulips. The tulips flower first, and their leaves mask the spindly Allium leaves for a month or so until I pull the tulips out. By that time the surrounding plants have grown to fill the area and the Allium flower heads are drying to become lovely "space alien flowers" as my daughter called them when she was young. :)

If you'd like to mask the dying leaves now, how about buying pots of chives from supermarket and plopping them in in front and around the Alliums? Chives have pretty, strong leaves and will flower later in the summer. They are hardy and make a brilliant partner to their showier Allium cousins. And chives is the top summer food, clipped over anything, mixed into sour cream... :love30:

3. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Just accept the yellowing leaves GardeningFin. They wont last too long. When the leaves are brown they can simply be gathered up.....they will be separated from the bulbs by then.
    If you want even better flowers next year, be patient and wait a couple of weeks longer :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • GardeningFin

GardeningFin Gardener

Ratings:
      +50

Thanks - I'll look into getting some chives - great tip :-)

• GardeningFin

GardeningFin Gardener

Ratings:
      +50
      I thought I'd probably need to be a bit more patient - thank you!

• zilly

zilly Gardener

Ratings:
      +577
      I love Aliums and was surprised how quickly they spread. The downside is their leaves, hence I have always planted them surrounded by other flowers to cover them up.

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
      Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
      Ratings:
      +10,609
      have 10 new ones up in my garden now. 5 of one type , 5 of another type, both purple with a tiny difference in each, one fully blooms one week earlier that then other. anyway, I am leaving them totally alone, letting the leaves fall when ready etc. as I do for 99% of my other bulbs, which is why my supply keeps getting bigger each year.