1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

When should I move things ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Evil Len, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Evil Len

Evil Len Nag a ram

Ratings:
    +199
    In my new purple border, as fully expected now I'm seeing things grow and evolve I'm wanting to move things around to better positions !

Some plants are in flower, some have yet to flower, and some have finished flowering.

When can I move things round ?

1) If I move them now I'm worried about killing or upsetting the plant. But if I move them now, I can instantly see they are in the right place.

2) If I move them in autumn, when starting to die back, could I still kill them ?

3) If I move them in winter (I guess the most logical choice) I'm worried that I'll forget where all the herbacious plants are

I'd really like to move stuff now ... note making or not, if I leave it till Autumn or Winter I WILL forget what I wanted to move where ! (I have a lot of changes I want to make). But am I asking for trouble ?

Ta

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,838
    Well if it's herbaceous you can move it now but keep it well watered. If the hot weather continues I'd advise against any moving however.
    I move things as and when I want to and haven't suffered any losses so far.
    Trees are a different story - deicuous ones move between October and January, evergreen all year but again keep watered!

3. Evil Len

Evil Len Nag a ram

Ratings:
    +199
    All herb or perennial, but no trees. Okay, you're right, so maybe I'll wait for a cooler, wetter period than RIGHT now (Im sure one will be along soon !) but I meant "summer" rather than winter. Thanks for the reply :)

4. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,617
    Take pictures of your garden and plants Len from all angles, those plants that you can't move now you can move later referring to the same pics. :)

• Like Like x 1