1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

When to cut hedges...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Joolz, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    @shiney I have absolutely no doubt that your garden is good for wildlife and that on the whole you are doing excellent things most of the time. That is very good and I respect your opening to the public and charitable events.

Having farmed (small scale in a low input manner) for over 30 years I well understand the difficulties in management and the conflicts that can arise from restrictions, weather, financial considerations etc. It is not true to say I have insufficient understanding of the situation where business management and nature are concerned.

This thread is about hedge cutting in summer. I believe it is wrong to do this and you have given an example of how easy it is to miss a nest while hedge cutting in the nesting season, even with the best intentions. It isn’t one set of guidelines for some but people with big gardens are an exception.

This is an open forum and if my comments and yours stop people cutting tress and hedges at this time of year, then that’s good. Last post from me on this subject, I think the point has been made.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,351
    Agreed that it shows why we should try to avoid cutting but there was no choice in the matter as it was interfering with the mechanics and electrics. The error was in the mismanagement of the cutting - as I had already stated. :blue thumb: :)