When to sow Winter Pansies/Violas

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JWK, Jul 7, 2009.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,455
    I want to get some nice winter bedding, in the past I've bought plants from the Garden Centre. This year I want to try and get a nice colour scheme using violas.

Anyone grown them from seed before for flowering in Dec/Jan time? Any tips or recommended varieties.?

2. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi, thought someone would have replied to you!

I have tried a number of years to grown them from seed, a total waste of time and money so few germinated.

I tried growing outside, in trays and in a heated propagator without any success.

I now buy plugs from Jersey Plants Direct, 100 plus 60 free, for either £9.99 or £10.99 depending on variety.

I actually think each plant bought is cheaper than each indivudal seed in a packet, and very few failures.

And I don't have anything to do with JPD either!

Cheers

3. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,455
    Thanks for that Makka, I had assumed seeds would be the cheapest way to go. The seeds I was looking at were about £8 for 90 seeds and if they don't germinate too well then like you say I'd be much better off using JPD.

They have a variety called Viola Ochre which I'm going to try, I'm hoping to get a real splash of colour in the middle of winter.

4. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

Good thinking, the seeds work out at 9p a seed , whereas the plug plants are less than 7p, and most of them will grow.

One other thing, either order as early as possible, or ask them to deliver them as early as possible, as sometimes they are a bit lax about their delivery times and don't deliver until late October early November!

You want them in the ground as early as possible!

Cheers!

5. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,455
    Thanks Makka, I ordered them last night because it said delivery throughout August, which is only 3 weeks away and I didn't want to miss out.

6. joyce42

joyce42 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    When your new plants flower save the seeds,they always grow well for me.

7. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,455
    Good idea, I think I will as they are so expensive to buy.

8. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Ratings:
    +13

Ordered one pack of pansies on line last week, when I arrived home on Monday evening they had arrived!

They have now been planted out in the plot to grow on!

There was about 160 of them, they took some planting out, fiddly, but they are in now. (thank goodiness I did not order more than one pack, unlike previous years!)

Have yours arrived yet?

Cheers

9. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,455
    That was quick! Mine haven't arrived yet, I ordered Viola Ochre. I'm hoping it will be the end of August when they arrive then they can go straight into their final positions, if they come before I'll have to grow them on in the veg patch. Which one did you go for?

10. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

I ordered Grande Fragrance pansies, they sent an e-mail saying they were for immediate deliverly, so I ordered them,impulse buying comes to mind!

As they are so small when they arrive, they really need to be planted out, to grow on before they are put into their final positions!

As it has been tipping down here all day, they will get a good start, as watering ones self is never as good as rain.

Cheers!

11. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,455
    I suppose for the money you can't expect big plants, I'll see what size mine are when they arrive. If they are really small I'll put them in trays of compost first.

12. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,455
    My plug plants have arrived today at last, they are so small they need transferring into larger trays and growing on for 3 or 4 weeks before planting out.

13. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    Hi again!

I have had that problem with late deliverly with JPD in other years!

I planted mine out in my allotment as soon as they arrived.
    The only thing I did was water them regularly and also try to keep the chickweed down, without much success I might add!

Last week I decided to weed them throughly as I had not touched them for some time and they were getting overgrown again with chickweed.

I gave them a very good watering and finished off with some Phostagen. I have watered them on each occasion that I have been down since. Now most are flowering and starting to make small bushy plants (almost all have grown, though a few have died).

The flowers are quite large and pretty, though I will take all of the flowers and buds off to help the plants grow on before transplanting into my front garden.

Note I said "my" not my "wives", she does not like gardening, only "nicking" my flowers when i'm not there.

Cheers for now!

14. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I had some Sprouting Broccoli plugs delivered on 18th Sep which I ordered from Marshalls on 12-Aug [because I had forgotten to sow any]. Do they just sow the seeds when they get the orders then? I could do that myself :(

15. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,455
    That's not good, I'd be tempted to ask for a refund, surely its too late for planting out tiny little Brocolli plants? Mind you yesterday and today have been really lovely & sunny, its summer at last so they might catch up.