1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

where to site my comfrey patch?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ellwilll, Jun 27, 2012.

1. ellwilll

ellwilll Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    ive heard both good and bad things about this plant, and its supposed ability to spread from tiny root fragments worries me... any chance of some help choosing my site?
    my options are:
    A)north facing bed with improved soil, but i might want to remove it in a few years
    B) south facing unimproved clay which but i also might want to remove it in a few years
    C) solid clay and rock lump behind shed, poor soil with air pockets, wont want to move it, ever.
    D) by the pond, in the flooding area, but again, it might look unsightly here as the pond is the focal point of the garden...

im leaning towards C as it can just run wild there, but it might not establish/grow properly...

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd go for C too as it will go deep & bring up nutrients from the clay and rocks.

Not really experienced it becoming a pest though.

3. ellwilll

ellwilll Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    hmm one minor problem with that that i just thought of... the base is broken hardcore with lots of air spaces and the earth was mounded on top, so theres a big 'cavern' under the clay section and i wonder if the roots will penetrate through this area...

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I think I'd vote C too, but I'm not so sure just because I think it is quite a showy plant, and maybe its a shame for it to get a low profile spot.

As for it becoming a nuisance, I planted some Bocking 14 on my land about 3 years ago. Its establishing well but it hasn't run riot yet. Worse case scenario, you can always dig a patch out to save, then round up the rest, but I doubt it will be a problem any time soon.

Some people recommend sinking a large box made of tin sheets or similar to contain the root spread, but that sounds too much like hard work to me.

5. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Its very deep rooted. It will find a way through.

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like you are very concerned about your substrate.

7. ellwilll

ellwilll Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    yeah i am :] i want it to flourish, but i also dont want to give up valuable veg space. i think ill try A,C and D and see where it does best...

• Like Like x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      make sure you get Bocking 14 (sterile) variety. Spreading by root is not a problem, but on non-sterile varieties spreading by seed would be a real issue.

• ellwilll

ellwilll Gardener

Ratings:
      +11
      ive got a seeding one in a bucket and ive got 10 bocking-14s... im not planning on letting the seeding one go to seed at all though

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Drowning it in a bucket of water to use as comfrey-tea is fine :) but in any sort of growing plant form there is risk that it flowers and seeds when you are away and personally I wouldn't risk it. The old saying [about weeds] "One year's seed is seven years' weed" is probably true for Comfrey too!