1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Lawn Mower Would You Choose

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by weedaway, Aug 20, 2020.

1. weedaway

weedaway Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +458
    If the air filter makes a difference when it has been washed then it must be the air filter which is the problem not fuel starvation, the filter is altering the air fuel mixture and the engine cuts out from air starvation, it sounds like your filter is not coping with the job and gets clogged up.

I have had mowers with similar problematic filters, does the filter look anything like this.

filter.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
      Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,552
      The air filter was almost clean before I washed it so that made very little difference. The engine doesn't cut out but labours until it's back on level ground, which is why I think it's fuel starvation. When I'm mowing in the other direction so that the incline is on the other side it doesn't happen.

Air filter.

[​IMG]

• weedaway

weedaway Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +458
      The filter is just a flimsy bit of sponge, not a proper filter per se as picture below, I have had mowers and strimmers with the same type of sponge filter which has always caused problems and usually disintegrate very quickly,

I wondered if the fuel pick-up pipe end inside the fuel tank was curved upwards just enough to cause fuel starvation until you turn the mower around the other way.

filter.jpeg

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,552
      My last mower with a different engine had a sponge filter which didn't cause problems. So, you agree with me now that it's fuel starvation?

The mower is serviced regularly and has had the problem checked on a couple of occasions, there's nothing that can be done, it's down to bad design.

• Like Like x 1
      • weedaway

weedaway Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +458
        I am only assuming what the problem might be based on what you are saying the symptoms are without seeing your mower and the problems I have encountered with these machines myself.

If your mower is serviced regularly by a technician they would have a better idea of the problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • weedaway

weedaway Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +458
          I finally made a decision after considering many alternatives, I bought a Frisky Fox PLUS Self Propelled Petrol Lawn Mower with a 20" 4 Blade Quad-Cut.

I have only used it a few times so far but I am so impressed with it all my doubts have gone away, it cuts like nothing else I have ever used.

Quad cut (1).jpg

• Like Like x 3
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,348
            Seems very reasonably priced. It looks as though it's a pull start.

• weedaway

weedaway Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +458
            The price is quite remarkable for the quality based on other lawn mowers I have had in the past, it has been finished off properly in many ways and is quite substantial, plus it has this new 4 Blade Quad-Cut system.

I looked at mowers with electric start, having this facility on the same mowers than the one without it were all about £130 more.

Having an electric start is not just £130 more for the same mower it costs more to service, plus the cost of a new battery every year another £50 plus and there is no guarantee the motor will start just because it is an electric start so you will have to pull start anyway.

I am so impressed with this mower with the blade system it has, it mulches like never before, I think all mowers will go this way and become much more expensive in the future once they catch on.

• bootneck

bootneck Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +14
            Check out what the professional gardeners use and you will find mainly Hayter and Honda.
            They have to be reliable as it is their livelihood.
            When I started garden work I got a Hayter harrier 48 and its still going strong after all the use and abuse of the last 20 odd years.
            I have used other machines belonging to customers but my Hayter did better imho.
            ps I did add a couple of 'Go Faster' stripes on it so maybe that helped.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • weedaway

weedaway Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +458
              The Hayter harrier 48 is about four times the price as my Quad cut, it also appears to have the same engine and cutting width, I could not see any reason in paying so much more for a Hayter harrier.

• Informative Informative x 1
              • shiney

Ratings:
                +118,348
                I have the Harrier 56 and before purchasing checked with domestic and professional users of the same machine. They had all owned theirs between three and five years and still had the original battery. There is no pull start on the machine so I'm hoping that the battery will continue to work well. :whistle: If not then Hayter can expect a personal visit from me as their H.O. is just down the road! :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
                • weedaway

weedaway Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +458
                  Again the Harrier 56 is unnecessarily expensive at around £1,400 in comparison to the Fox I bought.
                  It has the same B&S engine, Self-propelled, variable speed mower, central height adjustment, mine also has Quad cut, mulch facility, side discharge, self clean water inlet and does not suffer from the problem of not having a pull start should the battery run flat for any reason.

The Harrier 56 has a rear roller giving a compulsory striped cut even it you don't want one and is a key start which means if you lose it you cant use it.

Sorry you wont convince me I need a Harrier, Have you tried the Fox Quad cut mower, its quite a mower to be reckoned with.

I think the problem is that it is too cheap.

• shiney

Ratings:
                  +118,348
                  I had absolutely no intention of trying to convince you and was just making a straight forward comment. I was only responding to the title of the thread. :noidea:

Everyone to their own and it would be a poor world if we all liked the same thing.

I had my last Harrier for 26 years and it is still working well for the professional gardener that now has it. Not bad value at the price. :)

Actually there is no key start on it, so no key to lose. :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
                  • weedaway

weedaway Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +458
                    @shiney you appear upset! it was not my intention to be confrontational, I merely put forward my opinion and personal findings of the Quad-cut lawn mower in the hope of it being of some use to others when considering the purchase of a new mower.

Your mower may not need a key to start it but being 26 years old could be the reason why, but the new ones which would be of consideration do.

I agree "Everyone to their own and it would be a poor world if we all liked the same thing."

:ccheers:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • shiney

Ratings:
                      +118,348
                      Thanks @weedaway No problem. :)

Actually the 26 year old one did have a key and a pull start. The new one that I have just has a push button. The battery is one of these all singing all dancing ones that, in theory :whistle:, last a long time. Although it has some fancy coloured lights to show you the state of the battery I charge it up after every couple of hours work. It still shows a good charge at that stage but, according to the handbook, it's good practice to do so. It's a simple press stud release and can be charged from empty to full in one hour.

Anything that makes my non-practical life easier is a plus for me. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1