1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Which lawnmower?

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Ryan1, Oct 26, 2017.

?

Which lawnmower would you buy for a moderate size lawn?

Poll closed Nov 2, 2017.
  1. Atco 18s li @ £639

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Honda HRX 476QX @ £805

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Honda HRD 536QX @ £1049

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Hayter Harrier 56 BBC @ £1075

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Hayter Harrier 48 BBC @ £795

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Ryan1

Ryan1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am by no means a professional gardener, quite the opposite really! I have just had a new lawn laid in my moderate sized garden (approx 25m x 15m). I am looking at purchasing a new rear roller mower and have been recommended the following make/models.....

Honda HRX 476QX @ £805
    Honda HRD 536QX @ £1049
    Hayter Harrier 56 BBC @ £1075
    Hayter Harrier 48 BBC @ £795
    Atco 18s li @ £639

The Atco has the benefit(?) of being battery powered.

Any advice would be greatly received. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  2. Ryan1

Ryan1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Verdun. Electric isn’t an option. Shop assistant was pushing the petrol models & then the Honda’s over the Hayter but i’ve Read some negative reviews of the Honda HRX.

3. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    You're welcome Ryan
    There was a similar thread recently on the forum with some expert advice so, hopefully, some of these people will offer their advice :)

4. Quentin Jackson

Quentin Jackson Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    Honda are supposedly good. I purchased a weibang as there are not too many rear roller mowers. It is a similar price to the cheaper Honda but has many features of more pricey hondas. 19inch with a good quality deck and briggs and Stratton engine. Had it two years and has been very good so far. I think some people on the forum did like modern hatyers and atcos as they were not made as well as they used to be.

5. Ryan1

Ryan1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I’ve actually just found the slightly smaller Hayter Harrier 48 BBC for only £795. Not sure the extra 8cm is worth an additional £280!

6. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,618
    Well, after a bit of Googling and reading, if it were my money I would go for the Honda 536QX. Good as lithium ion technology is nowadays, I am still not convinced that it is the be-all and end-all that we are being told that it is; and battery failures are now all to often resulting in massive repair bills when they go wrong.

My reason for going for the more expensive of the two Hondas is fairly simple - it has a much stronger construction for a start (cast aluminium deck as opposed to plastic on the cheaper model) and a more powerful overhead valve engine which should significantly increase reliability and longevity (especially if looked after); OHV engines tend to be more fuel efficient as well. It seems to get good reviews, albeit there aren't that many, and Honda stuff is generally remarkably well built.

Now, there is a caveat to this, as I reckon the Hayter would give the Honda a close run for its money, and if it was that wee bit cheaper it would be really hard to split the two - - indeed, I would say that between the Honda 536QX and the Hayter 56 BBC, you are definitely in hair splitting territory to the point that it would then come down to how the machine looks and feels to you. To be fair, I doubt you would be disappointed by either of them.

7. Fat Controller

Public Transport
    Ratings:
    +49,618
    A quick calculation on your lawn size suggests that the difference is that you will essentially walk a 100 metres more (two more trips up and down the length of the lawn) - and that price being so much cheaper...... I think you have just answered your own question :)

8. Ryan1

Ryan1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks FC!

If you’re opting for the bigger Honda due to the stronger build, how would the smaller Hayter compare as I believe, the materials used are the same as in the larger Hayter?

The battery in the Atco is removed from the unit to charge. 75 minute charge = approx 60 min cutting time. Any problem with the battery, you would just need to replace that.

9. Ryan1

Ryan1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I don’t mind the additional exercise!

10. Fat Controller

Public Transport
    Ratings:
    +49,618
    OK Hayter against Hayter - the larger one is not just giving you an extra 8cm cutting width, it also has quite a few differences:

650EX.png

850EX.png

The larger mower has more torque (grunt, to you and me), is 1kg heavier, and has electric start (as opposed to a pull cord on the smaller one).

Now, a bit more searching finds this which on the face of it does not make good reading.

It has to be borne in mind that the proportion of people that will go to a manufacturers website when there is nothing wrong with their machine and they are quite happy with it is considerably less than would do so if they have problems, but to see so many highlighting starting issues is a bit concerning. Don't get me wrong, Briggs and Stratton have always been pretty good, but any manufacturer can produce a model that is a donkey, be it electronics, cars, motorbikes or lawnmower engines. In fairness, the Hayter machines do come with a 5 year warranty which goes a long way to ease that concern.

However, when you take into account that the Honda 536QX has a 7 year warranty, and are using their own engine as opposed to buying one in from another company....... I, personally, would be taking a long hard look at that Honda.

11. Ryan1

Ryan1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I’ve just been looking at the reviews on the Hayter 48. Most of the positives relate to much older models.

Attached Files:

12. Fat Controller

Public Transport
    Ratings:
    +49,618
    I wonder if Briggs and Stratton are suffering from the same sort of nonsense that a lot of car manufacturers suffered from; there has been an ever increasing push for engines to be more efficient, lighter, more powerful and all the time putting out less emissions (in many cases, emissions have been mandated).

A lot of car manufacturers were caught on the hop with this problem, as they were at a point where they had just about managed to get engine reliability up to where it should be, and had started to see sensible power figures from them, when along came the EU and imposed all sorts of emissions restrictions. This resulted in them rushing through engine designs in order to meet the new emissions regulations, and the net result of that was engines that were powerful enough, but were either pushed to their limits to be able to make that power within the given parameters, or were strangled by emission abatement - - in short, reliability went out of the window in many cases (look up Volkswagen BKP diesel engines, as they were shockingly unreliable, or even more recently Nissan's 1.2 DIG-T petrol engines which had something like an 18% reliability rate!).

Briggs and Stratton are an American manufacturer, and as such they do not have the emissions restrictions that we do here in Europe, particularly when it comes to lawnmowers etc - in short, the American authorities have more to be doing with their time than worrying about the CO emissions of a wee lawnmower. That meant that companies like Briggs and Stratton likely carried on as they were until all of a sudden they had to do 'something' to be allowed to continue selling their engines in EU products. So, a rushed design, and appears to have problems.

Honda on the other hand, well they have been making small engines for eons and they already had to learn the lessons to enable them to keep selling cars and motorcycles in the EU. So, in every reality, Honda were simply more equipped to be further ahead of the game than Briggs and Stratton.

Now, all of this is really easy for me, sat here with a glass of wine tapping some keys; it is YOUR hard earned money that we are discussing here, and you might not be able to afford the Honda without putting yourself in difficulty - in which case, the Hayter with a 5 year warranty and the possibility of it having the odd bug looks to be quite sensible.

On the other hand, you might not even bat an eyelid at the extra cost involved and are more interested in the longer term picture - - and if that is the case, the Honda wins every time on the basis of the information that we have found so far.

13. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    The old model Hayter had a different engine and the chute was large, when they changed they closed the chute.
    Hayter are fine on dry or damp well cut lawns but they don’t like wet conditions. To be honest my 48 pro is useless on wet grass even on weekly cuts.
    All rear rollers tend to suffer due to the rear roller creating a smaller chute which lowers air movement then as most use cloth the wet grass simply clogs the bags making lowering the air movement even more.
    Viking if I remember correctly do a plastic collection box but the Briggs on them are so so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
      Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,610
      Welcome to GC Ryan. :)

This other thread might give you some insight too.....

Need a new mower

I've had a Hayter and Honda mower ( not roller machines) in the past and there's no comparison for me. I found the Hayter very temperamental with starting. The Honda I had for 14 years without any problems until the lack of spares forced me to give it up. I've recently bought a Husqvarna and so far happy with it's performance in both wet and dry conditions. I would have liked another Honda but they are too heavily built for me now.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
        Ratings:
        +5,368
        My input...

The first mower I bought when I moved into this house was a Hayter. It lasted 9 seasons, before being uneconomical to repair. From what I understand from others, Hayters quality has dropped over the past few years. So that removes those two from the list.

I wouldnt get the Atco either. In my, admittedly, somewhat limited experience, battery driven machines of all kinds tend to have a lower capacity than claimed. The risk would be that it would need recharging before the lawn is cut. Especially if the grass is long after not being cut for a while, and when the batteries begin to lose their capacity through age.

That leaves the Hondas. If I understand what I have read, one has a plastic deck, the other cast alloy. I'm not keen on plastic decks, so that leaves one.

I cant vote for that either. For a rectangular lawn, it may be fine. The thing is, once the gardening bug bites, lawns tend to have obstacles introduced into them. Everything from curves to island beds. If that happens, it would be to big.

One thing worth looking at, if a self propelled one is the only option, is the drive. On some, its worthless.

• Informative Informative x 1