1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Which replacement mower?

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Kristen, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Up to you really, The JD is a good machine however on wet grass a roller mower will cause bad compaction.

Ive never once had trouble with traction, with any driven wheeled rotary mower. I always finish the last 2" of lawn edge by borders with the strimmer regardless of machine.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Thanks Pro Gard. In reality the wet mowing will be rare (well, maybe not this year! but even so I can normally find a mowing slot when the lawn is reasonable dry)

All the suggestions and advice is much appreciated, thanks. It only remains for me to make a stupid decision :p

3. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    What about victa? and pro just out of interest do you strimm before or after you mow?

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Spud, generally after but always before I hoe the borders.

5. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I allways strimm first myself:D a while back you posted a pic of one of your jobs and it was a lawn on a slope what mower do you use for that one ?

6. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I use a 2 stroke mower that the customer and i sourced and imported from the states, It smokes a lot but is super light and collects well. I have on one or two times used the etesia and the previuse ranger but I wouldnt rutinely as the fuel is not pumped and its an expensive engine to bust!!!

The first cut of the year on that particular job I do using a flymo as there is often very bad bager and frost damadge.

The Etesia 53 is suposed to be good on slopes as the handle bars off set, the fuel is pumped and it has hyralic engine breaking, ill probably buy one one of these machines in due course.

7. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    You dont hang on to your old tools like me do you ? at the moment ive got 6 mowers 3 hedge cutters and 21/2 strimmers lol

8. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Well Ive got two spare strimmers and a spare hedge cutter lol.... im emotionally atached to the one strimmer (FS85) as it was one of the first new tools i bought when i strted up. Dont know why ive still got the other stihl though, its an FS400 and ive not used it for 16 months and will never use again after the husqy.

How the heck do you store all your stuff, Ive got a 8x10 shedfull, a 6x4 shedfull, oh and a van full plus powertools in the house lol. Actually I guess you must have similar!

9. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Im sentimentally atatched to my old massport mower as crap as it is due to it being the last tool i bought with my gramps help (it seamed a better machine lol) ive got the spare mowers down at my nans at the moment i think ill get rid of the hayterette though i never use it now ive got to have a dam good clear out in the winter I take after my gramps and never throw anything out but ill have to start

Ive got 2 8x6 sheds a 4x6 and some space at nmy nans but its only just enough lol