1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

which secateurs?

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Hannah's Rose Garden, Jan 9, 2013.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,867
    Good morning all, the secateurs are of course important but they are only as good as the person who is using them :)

wiseoldowl 2012:heehee:

• Like Like x 2
    • alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,073
      Just found this YouTube link which shows just how its done, this is the procedure for all bypass secateurs.

Link:

.....and of course Secateurs are not the only tools which need regular sharpening, Hedge Shears, Hoes, Trowels and your Spade all are easier to use if they have a keen edge.

a-a

• Like Like x 1
      • Hannah's Rose Garden

Hannah's Rose Garden Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,410
        Wow thats really helpful alex adam!
        Baught theese yeoman secateurs in the end $T2eC16JHJHYE9nzpcwpJBQUJ0yfvF!~~60_1.jpeg
        with a sharpener and some wd40 for 13 quid. Just hope my pruning in late march will be ok now. Ive read enough about it - lol

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Be interested to know how you get on with them. My local garden centre had them on special last spring and I bought a pair to have as cheap-and-cheerful, but in practice I never use them much preferring the Felco's I have.

My garden centre has a full set of Felcos (chained to the wall, natch!) so that you can try them out to find what size suits your hands best. If you take the trouble to take them to bits and sharpen them they will last indefinitely and are adjustable so they don't become loose, and thus "redundant".

I'd recommend finding the size of Felco that you like, and then shopping around / waiting until you spot some at a price that you want to pay.

• Like Like x 1
        • Mondo1

Mondo1 Gardener

NHS
          Ratings:
          +113
          There is no doubt that bypass secateurs are best for pruning roses.
          I have always used Felco secateurs to prune my 600+ roses and, apart from the price have been very happy with them. Burton McCall even offer a sharpening/renovation service which I have used several times; the secateurs come back just like new but at £20ish this is also becoming a tad pricey.
          Last year I tried a new pair of secateurs from the Darlac range. They are Felco look-a-likes and about half the price. Darlac DP1030 are absolutely fine secateurs for the home gardener and I can say honestly are just as good as the legendary Felcos. Rather than pay £20 to have my old Felcos refurbished, I will buy new Darlacs in future. It's pruning time now so get some Darlacs and get pruning.

• Like Like x 1
          • Hannah's Rose Garden

Hannah's Rose Garden Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,410
            Just an update theese,secateurs were great and shapen fine. My mums felcos I prefer tho.