1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Who's eating my plants?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by pilotax, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    .....and snail and caterpillar :snorky:

2. pilotax

pilotax Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Ok, finally. No caterpillar, but slugs.
    Beer traps don't work as expected. They catch slugs but not enough.

What strategy can I use? Any spray or pellets?

3. Verdun

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Best strategy is to go out there tonight with a torch and salt solution and pick off the slugs. I find a couple of night time visits does the trick pilotax. :)
    Pellets are effective but use them sparingly. As little as half a dozen pellets placed around is enough. Too many and too many slugs are attracted :)

4. pilotax

pilotax Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks....can I ask why pellet should be use sparingly? Are they a repellent or not?
    I need to cover now 3 beds, sized 1.3mt*5mt. I was already looking to buy 10 kg of pellets!

I've read also iron phosphate act as repellent...any comment? (Maybe it's included in the pellet formulation)

5. Verdun

Ratings:
    +17,487
    I hardly use any sort of pellets pilotax preferring the torch and salt method but too many pellets attracts large numbers of slugs to botb pellets and plants. :)

Scattering just a few pellets is enough to kill slugs locally. Try it for yourself.

10 kg ???

The usual slig pellets are based on metaldehyde. There are other types but I have not used them. When I have used pellets I cover them with slate or similar to protect against birdS or animals accessing them

Best to use pellets on damp but not wet nights. Slugs recover if it rains. Likewise pellets need to be replaced after heavy rain.

I remember calling on someone whose front wall was blue from the masses of pellets used there yet any plants were almost entirely eaten to the ground. :noidea:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,384
    To answer that question:- no, they are most definitely not a repellent :noidea:.

They actually attract the slugs to them and they kill the when eaten. You use them sparingly so as not to be mobbed by slugs. Sprinkle them sparingly and that way they only attract them as they approach the plants. Some of them may still not take the pellets or continue on to the plant and do a little damage but most will take the bait.

I would, also, put your slug pubs deeper into the soil so they don't have to exert themselves getting at the beer.

Slug patrol at night, any time from an hour after dusk, is still the favourite thing where you have nice clear soil like that.

Good luck :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1