1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Will cutting through hedge roots kill it?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by hoofy, Sep 12, 2018.

1. hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
    +227
    I'm planning on doing some landscaping but it will involve getting a machine to dig foundations for a small wall down one side of a hedge. The scoop out will be around 8 inches from the line of where the base of the hedge grows above the ground. Will the hedge survive? Will the wall survive if and when the hedge starts growing again?

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,204
    Hi,

Hedges are generally very hardy and think cutting some of the roots will not set them back too much, possibly give the top of the hedge a trim to compensate.

What we have found when concreting fencing posts, that the heat and/or lime etc from the concrete will kill or retard growth, usually seen as the foliage going brown in patches.

After digging your trench, try lining it along the roots with some thick polythene to protect them.
    Also try loads of watering to wash away any lime etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,946
      I've moved field hedges with diggers in winter and they will look naff next year but will come back (unless you do lots of root damage) also if cutting blocks/concrete etc watch out for the lime dust on the leaves

• Informative Informative x 1
      • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
        +3,718
        Hi goofy
        Not sure what type of hedge you have, but from experience with privet & hawthorn I can tell you both will take very rough treatment, I've seen both chain sawed to ground level, left, only to regrow, I have a neighbours hawthorn hedge about 2 foot away from my wooden fence and it doesn't do much damage to it at all.

• Like Like x 1