1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

will frost damage rubber garden hose?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by crocus, Oct 17, 2010.

1. crocus

crocus Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    hello, could you please tell me if leaving my garden hose out all winter would damage it.
    thankyou.

2. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Damage it/reduce it's lifespan certainly. To what extent depends on how it's used during the winter. Mine certainly lost it's anti kink properties :)

3. crocus

crocus Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    thanks, best drag it in to the shed then. frost forcast for tonight. roll on spring.

4. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    "anti-kink?"

"frost resistant?"

Just "sales talk."

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,193
    My hose sprayer attachment froze and split last winter. Stupidly I left it attached to my hose reel and it was outside with water in. Apart from that I've always left my hose outside with no problems, I've had my cheap PVC hose since the 1970s and never taken any real care with it, left outside in sun and snow. Maybe these modern rubber or anti-kink types are a bit more susceptible. If you have the space in a shed there's no harm moving it inside :thumb:

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    I think if you drain it down so there is no water in it there is not much that can happen to it.

I'm thinking of buying a new hose for next year as my 15yr old one is now starting to spout holes due to the use of these modern spray nozzles that allow you to completely stop the water.

Puts mains pressure directly on the pipe, and an old one shows the strain.

7. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Crocus. I don't think that the cold itself will harm the hose. But, as Pete says, what could damage do the damage is if you leave water in it, which freezes and splits it. I have a buried one and just blow all the water out of it.

If the temperature were to get extremely cold a plastic hose will get more brittle and could crack it you try to bend it too much. Do you remember the demonstration at school of putting a rubber hose in liquid nitrogen and then hitting it on the ground - where it shattered.

Apparently, in northern Russia, temperatures in winter can get down to -50C, and it is unwise to hit a rock with your car tyres as they too can shatter. :D

8. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    As long as your hose is "open-ended" any ice formed should not affect it. The water will expand before it freezes and as long as it has room to move it should be OK.
    In the cold weather I turn off the water that supplies my three outdoor water systems from inside the house. I then turn on all the outside taps, never had a problem with bursts in the copper pipe sections.