1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter flowering clematis

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by newveggie, Sep 20, 2010.

1. newveggie

newveggie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We have some v. small plug plants which have been sent to us - about 2 inches high. Should we harden them off in the cold frame over this winter and plant them out next spring, so that they can flower next winter?

2. Colin J

Colin J Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If they are to be planted now I would do so while the soil is just perfect. They will only despatch plants if they need to be planted now

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I think very small plug plants need to be potted up first before planting out in the final location. They will be fine outside, but keep them in pots until they are big enough.

4. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I would agree with Sussexgardener. I would pot them on and grow them on and plant in the spring.
    Hope you get a great display next winter.

5. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    One of the trade tricks with planting on plug clematis is to plant them slightly deeper on each repotting. I would agree keep them potted until a reasonable size.