1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter Flowers

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Platti, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Platti

Platti Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Is too early to mention winter ??! I'm just wondering (seeing as I've not got a clue) what plants that flower in winter can be used in my garden and when do I need to start thinking of getting them in ?

I also really want some incredible flowering baskets.

Thanks in advance.

[ 10. August 2006, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Platti ]

2. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I have got a winter clematis climber it flowers from december until febuary white flowers.
    You can also get a christmas rose saw them last year in morrisons.
    I dont know any other flowers for winter but i am sure other members will know. [​IMG]

3. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    don't just limit yourself to flowers, try berries and foliage -
    arum Italicum, Pyracantha, aconites,cyclamen - you look to be in a mild climate, so you could be brave about hardiness.

4. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    waco,i am not an expert but great advice, everything on my balcony dies off looks very bare thought i would try this winter clematis do not know how it will grow it is its first year with me. Anyway platti what ever you decide to get, good luck and do let us know [​IMG]

5. Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Here are a few that will give winter colour either by flower or foiliage.....all of which are 'hardy' ...

Wintersweet/ Chimonanthus
    Mahonia japonica 'Bealei'
    Euonymus - Fortunei - Green and Gold leaf
    Nandina domestica - Berberis family

:cool: M-L

6. Platti

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much, I shall put them all on a shopping list and see how they come out. When you say something is 'Hardy', what does that mean ?

7. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,949
    Welcome to GC, Platti. I see you live in Bramhall, Cheshire, a lovely place ... we have a friend who lives there and her daughter lives in Cheadle Hulme (spelling?).

Hardy means will survive through the winter. I believe all the ones M-L suggested are also evergreen so no bare stems for the winter either!

Hope you enjoy the site! [​IMG]

8. Platti

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, already enjoying the site. No problems with your spelling either !

9. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Clematis freckles is evergreen and has white flowers through winter and beyond.

BM :D

10. Platti

Ratings:
    +0
    Is that something that I could put in now and grow into winter or would I not be looking at getting results from it in the first year - they all seem quite small in the garden centres.

11. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    You might find a decent sized one with flowers on. But then we have a clematis grower up the road. I wouldn't think twice about putting it in now, as long as you plant it deep and shade the roots as most Clem like. They take a little time to get going but in a couple of seasons they could cover a couple of fence panels given the right encouragement.

I will try and find a picture for you, although I think the only ones I took are of when my neighbour half killed it pulling it off my trelis from his side. :rolleyes: :(

BM [​IMG]

12. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I grow freckles, she is lovely BUT her face hangs low so unless you are going to go up to her and lift the flowers up, they are really quite insignificant. actually she loves me so much she has ventured into my potting shed.

A lovely plant, but only if you can afford the space.

13. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
  14. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Welcome Platti - as well as all the very good suggestions if you use the search facility of this forum - you can find pictures of colour in the garden for every month of the year in the Beginners Section. Check out January Garden Colour, and so on.