1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Woody Honeysuckle

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by arty, Aug 11, 2011.

1. arty

arty Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My Honeysuckle has lost all it's folage from the base of the plant upwards say about 3ft of non folage and it also seems to be spreading along the top and there are very few flowers.

2. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    a lot of them do this ... thats why I never bother planting them unless I get told to by the client ... they look good for a while then become woody and gnarled ....

suppose it's ok if you plant a few clematis to grow with them in the same space

from what I have seen, they do better in semishade

3. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    As honeysuckle is a climbing plant, it sounds as though yours is just doing what a honeysuckle does - climbing, and in the process they put on lots of top growth and leave behind bare stems.

There are two ways you can tackle this:

1 - Prune the whole thing down to a few inches above ground and start again, but that way you do risk not having any flowers the following year.

2 - Each year prune back some of the stems to within a few inches of the ground, as new shoots grow from below that cut they will give you young growth further down the plant.

• Like Like x 2
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,322
      mine does the same plant somthing evergreen at the base. OR do what my mum does has a honeysuckle on her house wall and has planted a lavender at the base of it combined with a very small leaved ivy that grows very slowly and is not invasive .

Spruce

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      I gave mine a severe haircut before moving house in spring time a couple of years ago. Its now got loads of new shoots on it and is doing very well.