1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Worried about New Plants in Constantly Wet Soil...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sally Parker, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
    +145
    Just established our garden in the last few months, as when we moved here almost a year ago, everything had been removed apart from a large Mock Orange, Hebe and Buddleia. So, almost all of our plants are young and quite a few don't like wet soil and it's constantly wet lately, because of all the rain!!

We have quite a sandy soil which drains quickly, but also a few young lavender plants, a rosemary, black and blue salvia, thyme, berberis, pyracantha, skylark bush (Think it's called Cerrantheous or something like that, the one with the blue flowers), laurels, roses, crocosmia, all of which don't like constantly wet soil. Will they be ok??? :frown:

Also, a question about feeding seaweed liquid fertiliser. Is it ok to feed everything in the garden this, on a regular (Every 7-10 days it says on the bottle) basis?? I don't think the lavenders, rosemary, thyme, sage etc need it though, as they thrive on poor soils.

This is our first ever garden, so we aren't experienced at all.:redface:

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Right Sally.....you said sandy soil so and "it drains well" , right? No puddles lasting for several days??
    I have sandy soil here.....its a good sandy loam .....and drains well but currently it is wet too. We have had plenty of rain here over past 3 weeks or so compared to earlier weather.
    You obviously chose plants that like your soil.....is your garden in sun or shade? If in the sun your plants should be fine.
    (Your "skylark" is ceanothus)
    I would not feed on a regular basis any of those plants in the ground but seaweed is excellent esp for plants in pots. Lavendar will do best without any feeding or watering; ditto thyme and rosemary. I would add fish blood and bone every spring to berberis, pyracantha and ceanothus....you can add a mulch too then.
    Dont anticipate problems that prob wont happen.
    If your sun is sandy, your garden is sunny and warm then you can relax Sally :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
      +145
      Thanks for your reply Verdun. :spinning:

Yes, the soil does drain VERY well, puddles only last for a very short time if we have very heavy rain.

To be honest I didn't really think about whether my plants liked the type of soil I have, but more about placing in them in the right amount of shade/sunlight etc.

I have just checked my soil on this site and it says it is either this: 'Shallow lime-rich soils over chalk or limestone' or this: 'Slowly permeable seasonally wet slightly acid but base-rich loamy and clayey soils' because some parts of the village have different soil to the other and I can't really see which part I'm in, by the map... (I'm in Misterton village) LandIS Mapviewer

Most of my garden gets tonnes of sun WHEN we have some sun, but lately there has been barely any sun and lots of rain, so the garden, although not waterlogged, hasn't had time to dry out.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      You will learn more about your garden as you garden Sally
      Dont fuss over your plants too much.....enjoy your garden :)

• Agree Agree x 1