1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Worth the wait

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by strongylodon, Sep 3, 2012.

1. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Oh nooo , when was last time you bought a plant because of me :)

2. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    Not yet Sal. But you keep TEMPTING me!!

3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,415
    If it was that cold hardy and easy to grow we would all have one!:smile:

• Like Like x 2
    • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,998
      I agree , it may survive but will never produce flower , but who know , maybe some dutch botanic is working on it , as it seams that the way of making lots of money today is produce and sell tropical plants that will be killed by the winter .

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,694
        Tropical plants will always be killed by our winters, the only difference these days is people seem to have large amounts of money to spend on plants that dont stand a chance.
        The info is there more than ever these days, but they still buy expensive, old, large specimen plants.
        Then sit back and watch them slowly die over a few winters.:frown:

If people are prepared to part with the cash, you cant actually blame them for selling them.:)

• Like Like x 3
        • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +4,015
          I do agree Pete. One thing that I have learnt over the last 10 years of gardening - is that you really don't have to spend much money. Especially if you have good friends like the people here on GC to swap with.

High winter temperatures are a problem, but there is loads of stuff that just needs a frost free winter.

One nursery I like is http://www.hillhousenursery.com/tender_exotic_plants.html . Their site is quite useful for reference as all the tender plants that they offer will survive just frost free. They don't believe, or have the money, to overwinter at higher temperatures.

• Like Like x 1
          • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,998
            Pete not blame them at all , as now they are produced in mass production , we got the luxury of buy musa for few quids , cannas for 50 pence and so on , really with £100 you can turn a small garden like mine into a tropiocal garden, let it all die in winter ....and start all again next year with some new variety of plants.
            You should know better then anyone else how hardy it was 20 years ago to find tropical plants , then growing them for 20 years from seeds and now you can buy the same size plant for £30 pounds.

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +23,089
            I'm very, very jealous sir!
            Shiney - that is Mucanna bennettii (sic?), a relative but different species. Only reason that I say is so that I can ask if anyone has seen one in flower in the UK.

Never seen a seed pod on the one at Oxford!

Strongylodon macrobotrys is available to buy from here for just £40!